• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Manure Spreader? Or something else?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My upper lawn area (the lawn on the top of the ridgeline) is basically very hard clay soil.

I'd like to top dress the lawn on a regular basis and am not quite sure what to do, how to do it. As there are stables in the area, I'm sure I could get as much manure as I could ever dream of using as a topdressing, but I am not impressed with the way manure spreaders seem to work. Its like they just hurl clods of manure and straw around the yard. Not something I would find very appealing and not something that is going to break down into the soil as quickly as I would hope for.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is there any way to 'screen' the manure before spreading it with a traditional spreader? My local tractor shop sells small manure spreaders but I'm not quite sold on the idea.

Is there something else I should consider?

I found an unusual spreader on the internet that doesn't throw the manure but has a slot in the bottom, but is also seems to have a pretty small capacity and it will still allow for chunks to come out that are larger than I think is optimal. The photo below is from a company called NEWER SPREADER and claims to be 'America's favorite spreader' but I have never seen one of these at any of the dealers around me.

The second photo is of a compact traditional spreader. I don't really like the concept of clods of poop and straw being thrown out into the yard, or, holding a manure pile until it is suficiently dry so that it flies out in a nice layer because I've never seen a manure pile that didn't attract plenty of flies and bugs.

Attachments

• NewerSpreader colors.jpg
    NewerSpreader colors.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 57Main_Product_Photo.jpg
    57Main_Product_Photo.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 16

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think the clumping/grass clods would always be a problem w/ fresh manure.. but if it's composted complety.. should spread more like dirt.

On the "other tractor channel".. someone posted a new type of spreader.. looks like a big tumble barrel.. the sides seem to be made from wire mesh/expanded metal.. the screening only allows the small stuff to come out.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi Bob; I think what I'd do is this. Find a corner of my property and have all the poop you can find brought in. Throw all your grass clippings, and leaves, any orgasmic matter you can find, in with it. Stick your forks on that orange tractor, [why embarass a blue one], and mix to your hearts content. Let it compost for awhile, and, violins! You'll have some grade A shit to spread! You could cover it with black visqueen if you're really worried about flies, but if it's in an area away from everything, I'd think you be fine.:wave: :tiphat: :beer: