• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

GMC Yukon?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Was driving down the road today and saw a clean, 2004 Yukon for sale.
Asking price was about $15K.
65,000 miles
Leather
5.3 V8
Exterior and interior appeared immaculate.

Lots of other amenities. Original sticker was on the window and it was $48K new.

Doesn't it share the same engine, tranny, chassis... as the same year 1500 truck?

Reliability?

I have an '05 GMC crew cab and it basically looks like a closed in version. Are they pretty much the same?

I've had front rotor and bearing issues but otherwise, it's run without issue.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
If it's an SLT, that's about the right price on it. If it's a Denali, it's a good deal. If it's whatever model below SLT, it's not a very good deal. This is per my subscription service to Black Book.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Brent. A SLE has more options then the SLT, correct?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We've had a 2004 Yukon XL since new. 140,000 miles, couple sets of tires, battery, some brake work, a failed transmission cooling line, and a set of tie rod ends. We plan to replace it this fall.

It replaced a 1999 Tahoe with 120,000 miles. About the same maintenance, tires, battery, brakes, and an alternator.

I don't know about the comparison to the pickup but I would think they were similar.

Jim

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I do believe that they have the same engine as their truck conterparts. Which seem to be very good motors. Those Yukons are nice, but a bit fancy for me. But that really doesn't seem bad for that mileage. do you know if they have comeplete history on it?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of mileage. My uncle had an older model Yukon before. He said the gas mileage sucked on that thing. My bro has the suburban which is basically a longer version of that vehicle. Same thing. His is an '06. His is fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. Seems half the options on his are no longer working. The power seat on the driver's side gave out. The heated seat on the passenger side stopped won't shut off.(which gets quite annoying in 30+ degree heat in the summer). The climate control only works intermittently. He's had issues with the air bag suspension with leaking compressors and blown bags.(not sure if this yukon has it or not). Only half the power windows now work. He bought it new and it's got less mileage than this Yukon. Just a few things to look out for. I'm sure my bro ended up with a lemon with this one.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The LT is the loaded package. If it has the autoride feature i would pass on it. I have to manually turn mine off a lot as the stupid computer does some weird stuff with it on. Brake rotor are a problem on all of them. Buy the autozone lifetime pads and change them out every year or two. Been doing that with my suburbans since 98. Just put all new rotors on the 05 Suburban and got fresh pads for it as well. Third set of pads and it only has 74,000 miles. My 98 pickup still has original rear brakes and is only on second pads in 115,000 miles.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Front hubs are also a problem on the full size GM's. I just did mine last month. Also keep an eye on the upper balljoints. Not sure if it's the same as on my truck but GM went away with putting grease nipples on the balljoints. To me it's pretty much simple stupid. Put a 50 cent grease nipple on the thing and extend the life of the balljoint by a few thousand miles. The way I see it is that grease is cheap insurance.

On my '08 Chev, it's like that and I couldn't change just the ball joint. I had to change the whole upper control arm. Thankfully I only had to do the driver's side. I drilled and tapped the ball joints now and threaded in grease nipples in order to be able to service them when I change the oil. Hopefully they'll last longer now.