Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Boats, Jet Skis and Water Toys Forum

Old 02-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Thanked 6,518 Times in 2,819 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Looking at boats

I've been trying to date that boat out of curiousity. It's no spring chicken by any means and is a little rough around the edges outside which is easily remedied with a wire brush, gallon of paint and a spray gun. As I said the interior is in good shape for it's age. No cracking fading or tearing on any of the seats or other upolstery. The floor is solid and the carpeting shows little signs of wear. The lower end of the engine looks like new with only a little paint missing from the bottom of the skeg.

Now the engine is, at my best guess an 84. The engine cowling gives it away. The 85 cowling was more square and separates at the front opening up like a butterfly spreading its wings. Then it just lifts off. I had an 85 60hp merc before that opened this way. The 84 and earlier was more rounded. Merc and mariner are basically the same company.

The boat has a good fish/depth finder with navigational charts. Mine right now is a basic hummingbird walmart one that indicates only fish and depth.

With all that said this boat may end up being a non issue. Due to my accident, my medical proffesionals are currently working to have my injuries deemed as catastrophic for insurance purposes. This opens up the amount of services I can receive which also means the possibility of a new home, vehicle, boat etc. Whatever they have to do to make me live as close to what I was doing before the accident. Not holding my breath on that one but it's a possibility. All I know is I have a hard time sitting in the boat for long right now. I last went out with mine last july fishing for 45 mins and I could barely move for 3 days. So something bigger, deeper, and more stable is in order.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (03-18-2019)
Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Found a better picture of the same boat. This one's an 88 I believe. Mine is a 90 so very similar age.

jim slagle  (03-18-2019)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 3,291 Times in 1,232 Posts
Bamby will become famous soon enough
Style: T66_BiggerFont

For a man with the conditions your in you really should consider a pontoon boat. With a properly laid out and powered pontoon boat a person can do practically anything including taking a nap in complete comfort. Look towards a 24 footer equipped or tricked with performance features and pushed with 150 hp outboard and you'll be having a good time having fun on the water. Another big plus on pontoons is the fact that they ride so much better than anything short of the big heavy cabin cruisers that tear up the water for everyone else. Seriously hitch a ride on one and you'll likely find yourself shopping for you own pontoon boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamby For This Useful Post:
NorthernRedneck (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,797 Times in 849 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
short of the big heavy cabin cruisers that tear up the water for everyone else.
Don't be dissing the heavy cruisers. That's what those of us on jet ski's look for on the open water. :)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Oh don't worry. A pontoon is still on the horizon once things are settled in a couple years. The thing with pontoons is you're kinda stuck to the lake you launch it at in the spring. Where we go in may, we're launching off a gravel road between a set of culverts down a 4ft bank. So I'll still need a boat able to do that then head 10 miles up the lake to fish on a smaller river. Also, unless you have at least a 100hp on the back of a pontoon it's kinda hard pulling a tube behind.

This boat is basically a stepping stone. It's going to get me back out on the water without making me twist around to drive a tiller. That's the killer part with my boat right now. Having to sit sideways and drive a tiller. The back doesn't care much for that.
jim slagle  (02-10-2017)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Well. It's been a couple of years. The trade deal fell through so I just stayed with the old crestliner though it hasn't seen much use since my accident. I was given the green light by my occupational therapist to start looking for a suitable boat that is more stable in the water and has a steering wheel and get quotes for her to submit to my insurance. It's a bunch of politics behind the scenes to get me back to doing what I used to do before the accident.

Anyways, not to bore you with those details but I've been doing my homework and checking out all the dealerships in town. It will either be a crestliner fishhawk 17.5ft or a legend xtr18.

Canadian eh!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
Doc  (03-13-2019), jim slagle  (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

These are the two I'm looking at right now. The legend has the best layout for our family as it has the dual seats in the rear that flip over when not in use to make an extra large casting deck.

Canadian eh!!!
Doc  (03-13-2019), jim slagle  (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 07:24 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 17,449 Times in 6,537 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

They both look like fun.

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (03-13-2019), NorthernRedneck (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

We'll have to see what's available when it comes time to buy. I was also considering a deck boat but they are HEAVY to be loading on and off the trailer. I may have to spend the extra $ for a dock slip at camp if one becomes available. The deck boat is kind of a one stop shop. Aluminum hull like a fishing boat. 150hp. All the creature comforts of a pontoon.

Canadian eh!!!
Doc  (03-17-2019), jim slagle  (03-13-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

omg. So many choices for boats. I'm anxiously awaiting the dealerships unwrapping their inventory of boats. Right now they are all shrink wrapped for the winter. There's so many options. Lund and crestliner are very good brands. I want something with the open bow platform for fishing that also converts to a seating area. I also want rear jump seats that convert to a fishing deck. Most brands seam to have either the jump seats and no casting deck or a full casting bow without the ability to convert to seating area. This model seams to have what I'm looking for. It's a crestliner super hawk 1750.

Canadian eh!!!
Doc  (03-17-2019), jim slagle  (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
We'll have to see what's available when it comes time to buy. I was also considering a deck boat but they are HEAVY to be loading on and off the trailer. I may have to spend the extra $ for a dock slip at camp if one becomes available. The deck boat is kind of a one stop shop. Aluminum hull like a fishing boat. 150hp. All the creature comforts of a pontoon.
Canadian eh!!!
A person in your condition does not want a deck boat. Deck boats may actually be the harshest ridding boats on the market. And after the newness wears off and the pounding persists owners are then happy to be rid of them and make them someones elses problem.

For someone in your situation a pontoon would be ideal, providing maybe the best ride in boating but lacking in coolness factor. So from there I'd recommend something heavy in fiberglass with enough weight to cut through the chop and provide a decent ride. Lite aluminum boats also tend to flow on top of the chop with a reassuring thump when the hull meets the water once again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bamby For This Useful Post:
Doc  (03-17-2019), jim slagle  (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Forum Admin

Thanked 17,449 Times in 6,537 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

I'll 2nd what Bamby said. If you can get a slip a pontoon would be ideal. Put it in the beginning of the season and take it out at the end. From my view that would be ideal for your family. Get to camp and the boat is already in the water.

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
Bamby (03-17-2019), jim slagle  (03-17-2019), NorthernRedneck (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Pontoons are great for that. They have their place. I want to be able to haul the kids around on the tube in the afternoon and also do some serious fishing again at different lakes.

Where we go every spring, there's no launch. You're at the bottom of a hill on a gravel road launching right off the side of the road were it drops down 4ft to the water where you wouldn't want to ever launch a pontoon. I want to have the option of hauling the boat to town and doing some fishing on the river.

As for fiberglass boats, we had a 21ft maxum when I was younger. Spent more time cleaning the thing than we did cruising. And a 10 mile round trip with a boat load of people chewed up 3/4 of a tank of gas. Plus aside from ranger boats for $100k, there aren't many dedicated fishing fiberglass boats. They have their place as well. Pulling up to a rocky shore for a shore lunch is no place for a fiberglass.

Canadian eh!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
Bamby (03-18-2019), Doc  (03-18-2019), jim slagle  (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Just for fun, I looked up lund fiberglass boats. They do make a fishing model with swivel seats live wells etc. But are almost twice the weight as an aluminum version of the same model.

Canadian eh!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
Bamby (03-18-2019), Doc  (03-18-2019), jim slagle  (03-17-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

I wish you luck and I'll sure give you credit for at least one thing.. For all the challenges you face and need to overcome you sure as hell ain't willing to do any compromising...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bamby For This Useful Post:
Doc  (03-18-2019), NorthernRedneck (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Yep. My two years of college back in the 90s for working with handicapped people sure helps me now. I have more knowledge than allot of people when it comes to adapting to disability and finding ways to live life to the fullest.

Heck, this morning I was shopping for boats online then headed out to get fitted for a wheelchair for rough days and a new lift chair with heat and massage. Then I headed over to my occupational therapist to talk about truck modifications to get the driver's seat that swings out and lifts a person from ground position up into the truck at the push of a button. To get into the boat from shore, I'm considering that as well. A lund bow sits much higher pulled up on shore and is higher to get into then say, a crestliner or princecraft due to the front slope of the bow. once I know for sure which boat I'm getting, I'll look for a way to modify the bow to accommodate a grab bar and step. Similar to the tailgate step on my f150. It has the built in grab bar and step on the tailgate to help me get up into the box of the truck. I used to carry around a two step ladder in the old truck for that purpose. I may just repurpose that ladder for the boat.

Canadian eh!!!
Doc  (03-18-2019), jim slagle  (03-18-2019)