• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2 Years Service for ALL

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great idea.
This could solve a lot of millennial issues.

Attachments

• 2YearsMilitaryServiceForAll.jpg
    2YearsMilitaryServiceForAll.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 81

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Good idea, maybe I'm wrong but I think there would be a high washout rate in basic training simply because so many just can't take someone yelling in their face. They would learn a new definition of bullying!!
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good idea, maybe I'm wrong but I think there would be a high washout rate in basic training simply because so many just can't take someone yelling in their face. They would learn a new definition of bullying!!
Mike
True, then they should simply be sent to some shit hole in the peace corp. Both would help them grow up.
Then let them spend all 24 months in basic.
Or in the peace corp or somewhere away from home. Make them move out of mommy and daddy's house and grow the fuck up.

You will never see the "Fortunate Sons" serve one minute. Never have, never will.

Agreed. Wish it were different but those making the laws would find a way to fuck up the system to keep their offspring from serving.
I like the idea of congress cannot make any law that does not apply to them as well as the rest of the nation. IE: Obamacare etc.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great idea.
This could solve a lot of millennial issues.

I was drafted All 18 year olds were. Except for the exceptions. In school? Check. Married? Check. Critical employment? Check. Medical? Check. Female? Double check. I don't remember if the peace corps was an alternative. I think it was.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Nope I went through the school of hard knocks when I was 18 & 19.
There was no war going on, so I got no ("bone spur") deferment, (like our president).
Once a man goes through all the crap and hits 18 he should be Free to do what he wants to do.

Community college three days a week followed by four (originally), hours unloading hot (it's desert country in Arizona) semi-trailers.
Place was to cheap to buy a forklift. we used a used hand trucks and pallet jackets.
Then I wanted extra money, (got paid minimum wage), I stayed later to clean the building.
When I wasn't going to college (that I paid for myself), two days a week I worked a full shift then cleaned the building.
Came in on Saturday and cleaned the building.
Well on second thought maybe what you describe would have been easier!

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Let them “serve “ somewhere besides the military . I really don’t like the idea of saddling those that are there by choice with a bunch of folks that are there because they were “forced “into it .

loboloco

Nope. I joined at the end of the draft era. Never want to have to depend on a draftee when the crap gets deep.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think our country and society would benefit from 2 years of service. Young ones do not realize what it will do for them, nor do many want to volunteer. Not everyone is smart enough to realize the opportunity. I wasn't. I served in the Navy in Vietnam with the majority were there due to the draft (guessing as no one ever asked that).
Course some cannot hack it and they would be moved to peace corp or something to do their service. None of it should be cush jobs or be easy. We want to build backbone, not give any of them the easy way out.