• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

EPA wants to monitor showering at hotels (I can't make this up)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seriously.

They want you to "modify your behavior" when you visit hotels and use the shower. I'm going to have to presuppose that they will eventually move this technology into our homes too???

The idea is that we apparently shower too long at hotels. And therefore we waste a lot of potable/drinking water. So they want to put a small wireless device on the shower head?/faucet?/control? to monitor how much water is used by each guest. It will be some sort of wireless device, which will transmit water use back to a server at the hotel office.

LINK TO STORY => http://freebeacon.com/issues/epa-wants-to-monitor-how-long-hotel-guests-spend-in-the-shower/
BY: Elizabeth Harrington
March 17, 2015 5:00 am

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) wants hotels to monitor how much time its guests spend in the shower.

The agency is spending $15,000 to create a wireless system that will track how much water a hotel guest uses to get them to “modify their behavior.”

“Hotels consume a significant amount of water in the U.S. and around the world,” an EPA grant to the University of Tulsa reads. “Most hotels do not monitor individual guest water usage and as a result, millions of gallons of potable water are wasted every year by hotel guests.”

“The proposed work aims to develop a novel low cost wireless device for monitoring water use from hotel guest room showers,” it said. “This device will be designed to fit most new and existing hotel shower fixtures and will wirelessly transmit hotel guest water usage data to a central hotel accounting system.”

The funding is going toward creating a prototype and market analysis for the device. The goal of the project is to change the behavior of Americans when they stay at hotels.

“This technology will provide hotel guests with the ability to monitor their daily water online or using a smartphone app and will assist hotel guest in modifying their behavior to help conserve water,” the grant said.

The project was filed under “Water conservation,” “Urban water planning,” and “Sustainable water management.”

The EPA also has a WaterSense program that challenges hotels to track their water use and upgrade their restrooms with low-flow toilets and showerheads.

The program also encourages “linen and towel reuse programs” in guest rooms.

The EPA is concerned that the average shower, which lasts just eight minutes, uses 18 gallons of water, and has asked Americans to reduce their shower length by at least one minute.

Tyler W. Johannes, Ph.D., an associate professor in the University of Tulsa’s School of Chemical Engineering who is working on the project, told the Washington Free Beacon that the researchers hope to see the technology “adopted by all major hotels and used across the country.”

He said the device seeks to get hotel guests to limit their showers to seven minutes as a start.

Johannes and his team assumed the average hotel shower lasts 8.2 minutes, using 17.2 gallons of water per guest per shower.

“Initially our device/app seeks to get hotel guests to reduce their water use by 10 percent or to reduce their showers by about one minute,” he said.

Johannes provided a link to Home Water Works, which recommends taking a five minute shower to reduce water use.

The website, which is a project of the Alliance for Water Efficiency, also suggests watering plants with discarded cold water from showers that take a long time to heat up, and taking “navy showers.”

“The method requires three steps: 1) turn on water to rinse body and hair; 2) turn off water while shampooing hair and washing body with soap and washcloth; 3) resume water flow and rinse off all shampoo and soap,” the group said. “Using this technique, the total duration of water flow can easily be reduced to 5 minutes or less.”

This entry was posted in Issues and tagged EPA, Government Spending, Government Waste. Bookmark the permalink.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
F*ck big brother! Next they will want bowel training so we can all use waterless toilets.:hammer::hammer::hammer:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I can see it now, additional tax based on water usage of hotel room payable to the EPA. WTF is next??
Mike

Kane

Barack Hoossein Obama pledged early in his presidency to enact change, or as he put it, to "fundamentally transform America". And since the only thing stopping him from transforming America has been a stubborn Congress, Hoossein's approach has been thus:

"If I can't legislate it, I'll just go ahead and regulate it."

So, with his "pen and his phone", Barack Hoossein Obama is tampering with your life and redistributing wealth ... as only HE sees fit.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I want to know how the fuck does one waste water? Do we somehow molecularly change it into something else?

If I piss on the lawn, the water dribbles down to the aquifer.

Greenbush Brewery tuns on the tap to fill their brew kettle from tap water which draws its water from the aquifer.

I drink the finished product and piss on the lawn. And around and around we go.

Nothing is wasted, transformed, lost, sent into space, whatever.

BTW - hotel showers suck.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You piss on the lawn at that condo? Do you do it in the Dog Walk area?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Idiots. Use battery operated water meter and transmit via hotel WiFi.
Stupid idea, but all the technology is already here to do that easily.:hammer:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One reason that hotel showers take so long is that they have the hardest water known to mankind running in the pipes. It's like they add minerals to your water before it comes to your room.. No lather from your soap, and you keep trying to get like you feel clean with crappy water running over your body... I know this makes my shower take longer...

As for EPA they can stick this were the sun don't shine.:hammer:

We will have to dismantle the EPA at some point, they are killing our country one regulation at a time. It's none of their bussiness.

Regards, Kirk