• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Purina now recalls SOME brands of Dog Food

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This was announced Friday March 30.

Alpo® Brand Prime Cuts In Gravy Canned Dog Food Voluntary Nationwide Recall

No Dry Purina Products Involved

St. Louis, Missouri, March 30, 2007
Nestlé Purina PetCare Company today announced it is voluntarily recalling all sizes and varieties of its ALPO® Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning today that wheat gluten containing melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, was provided to Purina by the same company that also supplied Menu Foods. The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities.
Earlier today the FDA announced the finding of melamine in products related to the March 16 Menu Foods recall, and advised Purina of the source of the contaminated supply. Purina then determined that it had received some quantity from the suspect supplier. The company proactively notified the FDA and immediately began this recall process
Purina is confident that the contaminated wheat gluten has been isolated to this limited production quantity of ALPO Prime Cuts canned products.
The recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons.
Purina's 5.3-ounce Mighty Dog® pouch products, manufactured by Menu Foods, were previously withdrawn from the market as a precaution on March 16 as part of the Menu Foods recall. ONLY Mighty Dog pouch products and specific date codes of ALPO Prime Cuts canned dog food are being recalled.
Importantly, no Purina brand dry pet foods are affected by the recall – including ALPO Prime Cuts dry. In addition, no other Purina dog food products, no Purina cat food products, Purina treat products or Purina Veterinary Diet products are included in this recall, nor have been impacted by the contaminated wheat gluten supply.
Consumers should immediately stop feeding ALPO Prime Cuts products with the above-listed date codes to their dogs and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Crap! That was close! My batch of Alpo was just before that date

My dogs get a 1/4 can of soft crap on top of their kibble at dinner time just to change things up for them. It's usually not the fanciest stuff since it's probably more for me then them (but they do seem to like it).

Now I'm waiting for the dry stuff recalls to start.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Now I'm waiting for the dry stuff recalls to start.
Today they annouced a recall of some brands of DRY cat foods. I'm now checking daily as they seem to be adding brands frequently. :smileywac

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just read that Hill's purchased the same batch of wheat Gluten put has not done a product recall.

I think we need a list of food we CAN give our pets. Time to try the BARF diet?

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
When is the FDA going to announce that human food is also involved? In my opinion, it isn't far away. Wheat gluten is used in just about everything.....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
When is the FDA going to announce that human food is also involved? In my opinion, it isn't far away. Wheat gluten is used in just about everything.....
Well Junk, here is your answer . . .
dot.gif

US blocks wheat gluten linked to pet food recall

Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:06 PM ET

WASHINGTON, April 2 (Reuters) - U.S. health officials have told import inspectors to detain wheat gluten shipments from a Chinese company identified as the supplier involved in a major recall of pet food.
A notice from the Food and Drug Administration directed inspectors to stop all wheat gluten imports from Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Company Ltd.

The FDA said wheat gluten supplied by the company to Menu Foods <MEW_u.TO> was found to contain melamine, a chemical used in plastics and fertilizers. Menu Foods has recalled 60 million cans and pouches of "cuts-and-gravy" style wet pet food sold under various brands after the deaths of 14 cats and dogs.

Melamine should not be in pet food, but its presence has not been confirmed as the cause of any pet sickness or death, the FDA said on Friday.

In an alert to import inspectors, the FDA told personnel to detain wheat gluten from the Chinese company until it had provided results of an investigation into melamine contamination and other information.

The notice was dated March 30 and posted on the FDA Web site at http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia9926.html.

Other companies besides Menu Foods have recalled pet products because they received wheat gluten from the Chinese company.

Colgate-Palmolive Co. <CL.N> unit Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc. recalled its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food, while Nestle SA's <NESN.VX> Purina PetCare Co. recalled Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes.

Del Monte Pet Products <DLM.N> recalled certain dog treats and wet food.

FDA officials told reporters on Monday there was no sign that wheat gluten contaminated with melamine has entered the human food chain.

"At this time, we can say there is no evidence" the gluten was used in food products for people,"
said Michael Rogers of FDA's Office of Regulatory Affairs.