• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

NO MORE PIZZA"S? You have got to be kidding

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
FDA: “No More Trans Fats!” Americans: “No More FDA!”

Written by Gary North on November 8, 2013

The Food & Drug Administration has declared that it will require food companies to phase out trans fats.
New York Mayor Bloomberg has publicly taken credit for this.
Here is the world according to the FDA. No more pizzas. No more doughnuts. No more potato chips.
The FDA will mandate substitutes. We know what foods prepared with these substitutes taste like: straw with artificial flavoring.
The FDA has allowed 60 days for comments. The agency will get lots of comments. So will Congress.
This is a classic case of North’s first law of bureaucracy: “Some bureaucrat will eventually enforce a rule, as written, to the point of utter imbecility.” In this case, an entire agency has done it.
The FDA’s Civil Service-protected bureaucrats think they know best. They are convinced that eaters do not know what is good for them. The FDA has no intention of letting eaters decide what to eat. “Diet is too important to be left up to eaters.”
I rarely eat foods with trans fats. But my attitude is simple: it’s up to trans fat eaters to decide. The FDA disagrees.
Agencies eventually overreach themselves. This is such a case. There is going to be a backlash from what can be called the Twinkies bloc. Congress will hear from these people.
The FDA will back off, either voluntarily or by Congressional decree. It will be fun to watch.
Continue Reading on www.breitbart.com

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I don't get it ? McDonald's etc is already 'trans fat free'

Olive oil has no trans fat and is yummy. Also almond, macademia, etc, etc.

And if trans fat is so bad and diet so important, let's have a surcharge on the health insurance for fat people like there is for smokers.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't get it ? McDonald's etc is already 'trans fat free'

Olive oil has no trans fat and is yummy. Also almond, macademia, etc, etc.

And if trans fat is so bad and diet so important, let's have a surcharge on the health insurance for fat people like there is for smokers.

That would put a lot of surplus CRISCO on the market. For what could we possibly use it?

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
That would put a lot of surplus CRISCO on the market. For what could we possibly use it?

How about we use the crisco to FRY a few CRATS and be rid of them!!!!!!!
Starting with a few that seem to be over cooked already!!!!!!!!!:whistling:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have know of the dangers of trans fats for over a decade now. I have always used butter, not margarin. This discovery made that choice easier. It only took us 40+ years to figure out that oleo was not better than butter for us. How smart are we?? Wonder what other things we are currently eating that will be found to be not good for our health. The food industy relies on hydoginated oils mainly for extended shelf life of processed foods. They aren't going to give up this battle anytime soon.

Regards, Kirk

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
The food industy relies on hydoginated oils mainly for extended shelf life of processed foods. They aren't going to give up this battle anytime soon.

Regards, Kirk

in my time as a chef, we have used butter. i cannot recall margarine in a kitchen setting i worked w/in. not once.

those cheap places oft use cheap stuff, tho- i'm a label-reader & pick them fer ingredient lists.
i'd starve before ingesting pseudo-butter. not fer me.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
"At this point in time, what does it really matter"
We are all heading to our own death anyway so why not eat what we want and be happy? I hope all the do gooder types beat me there..... The idea that government should tell us what to eat and drink is just one more rung on the over control ladder they keep pushing. You can eat a little of most anything if you get out and move more and burn up calories. Where is my bacon?:yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

The government is trying to mandate how we live. So if they don't want cigarette smokers they tax the product + increase the cost of insurance for smokers. If they don't want Trans-Fat then they should tax the product + increase the cost of insurance for fat people. If they don't want rotted teeth, then they should tax cookies & soda pop + add a tax to your dentist bill. If they don't want excessive risks then tax dangerous sports like Football, Hockey, Bungee Jumping & Motorcycles + increase the costs of insurance for those who like these things.

Let them control EVERY part of our life with taxes and fees and then let's see if the people don't rebel. :hammer:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

The government is trying to mandate how we live. So if they don't want cigarette smokers they tax the product + increase the cost of insurance for smokers. If they don't want Trans-Fat then they should tax the product + increase the cost of insurance for fat people. If they don't want rotted teeth, then they should tax cookies & soda pop + add a tax to your dentist bill. If they don't want excessive risks then tax dangerous sports like Football, Hockey, Bungee Jumping & Motorcycles + increase the costs of insurance for those who like these things.

Let them control EVERY part of our life with taxes and fees and then let's see if the people don't rebel. :hammer:

The King of England was only taxing trade and commerce. We went to war over that.

Jus' Sayin'

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
in my time as a chef, we have used butter. i cannot recall margarine in a kitchen setting i worked w/in. not once.

those cheap places oft use cheap stuff, tho- i'm a label-reader & pick them fer ingredient lists.
i'd starve before ingesting pseudo-butter. not fer me.

I presume you haven't worked at the Waffle House?:yum:

Trans fats are ubiquitous in the restaurant business, particularly the low end chains. They are also in most prepared foods.

Butter and lard go rancid on the shelf. Transfats last much longer.

That said, I am not a fan of Trans fats. I never use Crisco or margarine. But I do so by choice, and I made that choice some 50 years ago. Back when our government wasn't a THEM and US.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
um....... nope- I seek gainful employment as opposed to chain restaurants. cheap foods may well be ubiquitous in cheap chain restaurants. not so in real food establishments that have standards & class.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
um....... nope- I seek gainful employment as opposed to chain restaurants. cheap foods may well be ubiquitous in cheap chain restaurants. not so in real food establishments that have standards & class.
Well, Good for you.

But that has little to do with the subject matter here.

There is no question that Trans-fats are bad for our health. First invented to create cheaper Fauxgras, the French poultry producers found that it actually killed their geese stock. Napoleon repurposed the stuff to replace butter for his troops and we ended up with Margarine and a host of faux cooking materials. That was some 200 years ago. Our FDA is over 100 years old and just now getting around to controlling it. Why?

Because they want to........... and they can.

The question is who gets to decide what we eat. And how far into our lives can the FDA, and other controlling agencies, go. Are their no limits?

Under the current leadership we the people have allowed in DC, ......that would seem to be so.:hammer: