• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Could have lost the house today

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I came home tonight and got right on my tractor to start mowing. My daughter come runnng out and was in a panic and had me come in the house right away. Here our dog must have knocked off a halogen lamp off the end table and when it hit the floor it must have turned the switch on. Did I say it was a halogen lamp??, well it layed against her bible, burned through the whole bible, burned throught the carpet and the carpet mat right to the concrete. Dang lucky it wasn't wood underneath it.

Halogen lamps get pretty dang hot. About six months ago all 9 intertwined smoke detectors quit working. I have to take them apart and put new sensors in them and then replace all batteries. First on the list tomorrow.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the light from Halogens but they sure are dangerous. How one could turn on by just falling over sounds like bad design. That bible might have saved your house from burning. :thumb:
Pick up a stand alone smoke detector or two to use as backups.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a floor stand model.. bright light.. but if a moth or other bug flies to it.. burns them up like it was a bug zapper! I have a bunch of lights on 24/7 for the chickens.. I use all compact fluorescent bulbs.. even if the light was laying on dry hay.. it doesn't cause enough heat to start a fire.

I had a chimney fire last winter.. misses was out of town.. about 1:30 am.. luckily I was awake watching TV after cleaning up from working on house projects that day. The smoke alarm in the kitchen went off.. I initially thought a log had just rolled out in the fireplace.. nope.. hit the stairs and the 2nd floor was dense w/ smoke.. of course at 3:30am I'm still up blowing smoke out of the house.

My CPA actually had a fire going in one section of his living room from a candle being left lit.. luckily his dog woke him up out of bed.. he couldn't understand initially why it was so dark.. the smoke almost got him.

Glad everything came out okay..