• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Energy drinks?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't recall every drinking one but wonder if they're a benefit.

At the end of the office work day, I often find myself mentally drained. I then need to do my chores and stuff around the homestead but I don't feel up to it and would rather take a nap (which is unacceptable to me).

Wondering if any of those energy drinks would give me the mental pick-me-up that I could really use.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see the kids doing them usually...

TV and other marketing are at their core. Not sure they work, and I am not about to try. I read the ingredients and cring.:ermm: Coffee works for me....And they are finding out many other benifits to coffee, other than the pick me up part. It is a plant seed that is roasted in an oven. Nothing synthetic either...:whistling:

Regards, Kirk

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't bother with them, personally. The only energy thing that ever seemed to have any effect on me was the Mio Energy thing. But that might have been because I used way too much of it. :whistling:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
5 hour energy. Works for me when I'm driving, not sure it would do much for the scenario you are describing.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm suprised, it's upwards of $3 a shot (bottle). They must not be a poor as they let on.
They are always poor till they WANT something. I have driven a few around on cash pickup runs before. $30,000 in cash in an old duffel bag just at one stop. Then he went and put 80K down on a farm. CASH.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have found that at 4:00 AM after 800 Miles, a Red Bull helps more than coffee.

My Dad likes the 5 hour energy when he bowls. I don't think it actually heps but like many things we tend to "believe" it is the results that matter. And he believes it helps. Twice a week league bowling and he breaks 200 from time to time.

$3.00 is a lot just to feel like you are doing better but, given his 89 years, I'll indulge the old man's fantisies.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly,

The Amish are far from poor. They just live poor, untill a need comes along. Then you'd be very surprised. I know one who builds funiture, from hard wood. He went to the west coast to puchse wood. The seller questioned his ability to pay. Till he called the bank and was told he could have bought the mill he was at with cash money. They have a good working relationship now....

They are very self suffient folk, who know how to do with little and yet live well. I respect them greatly for their conservative business practices. Debt is not a good word with them. They pay as they go.

Sorry for the thread drift!!

Regards, Kirk

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't recall every drinking one but wonder if they're a benefit.

At the end of the office work day, I often find myself mentally drained. I then need to do my chores and stuff around the homestead but I don't feel up to it and would rather take a nap (which is unacceptable to me).

Wondering if any of those energy drinks would give me the mental pick-me-up that I could really use.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Have you had your thyroid checked by your doctor? I had similar symptoms and a blood test turned up hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid. I'm on a low dose of Sythroid and it made all the difference in the world. It's really quite common as we get older, and is very treatable.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried one.. ONCE, don't remember the brand.
My heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest.
Coffee and tea for me, thank you.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you had your thyroid checked by your doctor?
I haven't but will discuss this with him next time I see him.

I just attribute it to my mind going a mile-a-minute certain days when I'm working. At the end of the day, it's just whooped and wants to take a break (taking the body down with it). If I have a mild day at work, no problems.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BC zoom, I am not sure your age, But at the mid 40 mark I find myself with a self described version of what I call drop ass. (Get home from a mind numbing day at work and then the couch calls my name.) When my ass is dragging I try to find a natural high of sorts to get the adrenaline running,
I do use energy drinks and aspirin to get the arthritic joints moving on days when I feel achy.
My wife (nutritionist) does not care for energy drinks but mostly due to the sugar syrup content, some of the ingriedients in Red BXXX is natural ocurring vitamins in another name... I can't drink them (or coffee) after noon as I won't sleep...
Mental adjustment I am unsure, Your eyes will be open though
I have heard the thyroid issue many times if I remember correct the test result is a range, be sure to get your doc to drill down on the results....

Mike

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike - what do you use for a natural high when you have drop ass? I'm in my late 40's.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
haven't tried them, or herbal energy stuff- i get jittery & anxious from plain 'ol caffeine (chocolate, too!) so that's another on my 'won't' list.
i found the best alternative for me is a stetch & a brisk bolt for a few blocks or a jog thru a few stairwells provides a 2nd wind.
i've have no faith in how safe those drinks may be- i'm just waiting for them to be pulled from the market.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like Luv mentioned Jumping jacks, push ups, hang up side down, I have biten an orange, eat a grapefruit in the after noon(no sugar), Walk out to a different building(one that does not contain work/chores) and spend a little time doing something different something you don't have to do. I have a man cave with projects that never seem to get done but who cares if they do.
bougth a book on knot tieing, I still can't tie any but it gets my mind off of work and that is the key.
Hell I bought a YUGO just to have something to free my mind.
Again I do enjoy a couple of aspirn and a redbull......

For WIW. I hosted a danish exchange student and he could not believe we could just freely purchase energy drinks.... a country where beer is available to 15 year olds and a bag of weed is a soft drug,(like alcohol) chooses to regulates Taurine.....

Mike

loboloco

Bc, I used to use 5 hr when I was pushing a truck. On top of coffee it at least kept me awake, though not especially alert.
Sorry, but it sounds like something you might want to run by your doc first before you start guzzling energy drinks.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have never tried an energy drink. No need. I run out of energy, I take a nap. La vie est belle!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i feel there addictive so i'm not so impressed with them my wife and middle daughter love the things i can't stand the smell. after a crash with speed when i was younger i don't use any thing but coffee and will power. it wa scool counting the money allthe way to the bank after 3 days of steight work but was scarry when my body just shut down annd said sleep. i have still done some of that stuff still but i have never just shut down since using will power there is always a warning that sleep is comming.

Oz and Fert

Tried them several times like The Red Bull and some others. I tell you I got no side effects of energy from them. Anyway, I energize myself with strong coffee, brewed black tea, and diet Cokes. They indeed boost me with energy.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a coffee drinker. Just black coffee. I like light roast, not that dark burnt roast stuff.

When I need a bit more, like when I'm up for a 10 to 12 hour drive then I'll pick up a couple of those "5 Hour" energy shots and drink some Dr Pepper. I drink the "5 Hour" shots at 4 hour intervals and the Dr Pepper as I please.

Oz and Fert

I'm a coffee drinker. Just black coffee. I like light roast, not that dark burnt roast stuff.

When I need a bit more, like when I'm up for a 10 to 12 hour drive then I'll pick up a couple of those "5 Hour" energy shots and drink some Dr Pepper. I drink the "5 Hour" shots at 4 hour intervals and the Dr Pepper as I please.
Caffeine is a perfect power booster indeed.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've tried the 5 hr energy things a couple times when I was out in an 18 hr run in the groomer. Only ever tried an energy drink once. That was on a 22 hr run straight in the groomer covering 200 km's in one night. I was buzzing for a few hours. Didn't like the way it affected me. I never bothered again. I prefer to stick with black coffee with sugar.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I have never tried an energy drink. No need. I run out of energy, I take a nap. La vie est belle!

I've got the same routine as TR. :yum:

My S-I-L uses those 5-Hr Energy drinks. She says they give her a boost in the late afternoon or when she is driving. But then again, if she's going anywhere, she'll drive for 14 or 16 hours straight. She hates traveling with me, especially if I'm towing the 5th wheel. I'll drive 250 miles and then be looking for some place to stop for the night. It drives her nuts. :yum:

I have used those sugar free Red Bulls but, to be honest, I never got anything out of them apart from being a change from drinking water or soda.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Ever try taking vitamin B complex tablets? I used to literally be able to drive to San Diego, CA and back non-stop except for fuel. Literally 3 and a half to 4 days of driving straight. Now I don't know if I just don't like doing that to my body anymore or just can't. Anyway, I've knocked back 3 or 4 of those "5 Hour Energy" things and they did absolutely nothing, zip, nada for me. Take a B complex in the am and then one at lunch time and I feel up to par and more alert. I think it's a plus that it's more natural and never gives me the jitters or cold sweats like caffeine does.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Miller Lite always worked for me, I always have it in the kegerator!