• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Are you Rural, Urban or Suburban?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Many of us are tractor owners and to one degree or another many of us know each other, but really how rural or urban are we? I consider my home to be in a rural area on the edge of Suburbia. But sometimes I wonder if my neighbors think that we are so isolated here that big cities are places never to be ventured into.

I am about 1 hour from downtown Chicago on the Illiniois/Indiana state line. Last weekend my daughter had a volleyball game in Whiting, IN. Whiting is located on Lake Michigan and literally is next door to Chicago (left side of the street is Chicago, IL and the right side is Whiting, IN.) So we have the other coach and her daughter with us and wel tell them we are going up to Chinatown for lunch after the match.

I feel like we took them into a foreign land. It is only 1 hour from home! They had never been there. We've taken all of my daughters classmates up to Chicago at one time or another (to the museums & zoos) and many of them had never been there before or since.

So I guess I am still a cityboy, but live in the country and go to the city on a regular basis because it is easy access.

What about you guys (and gals)? How rural/urban/suburban are you? What is your proximity to a large metro area and do you access it or do you avoid it?

:wave:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I should probably add that I live about 5 or 6 miles West of Lowell, IN and about 8 miles S.East of Beecher, IL.

Lowell is a town of 7000 people, Beecher is a town of 2500 people. About 8 miles N.E. of me is the town of Cedar Lake, IN, population is under 10,000. There are no 'real' towns (larger than a crossroads with a few houses) south of me for many miles. But 15 miles north of me is full blown SUBURBIA with strip malls, Starbucks Coffee and Borders Bookstores.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm rural.
As measured around here, if you can:
#1 - unload a high-capacity weapon in your back yard
#2 - nobody calls the police or otherwise
#3 - the neighbor pulls out his weapon and unloads in their yard as well, just to be neighborly (a way of saying "I'm with 'ya...")

I avoid the city (Pittsburgh) and only go there about once every 5 years.
We have some surburban towns 15 miles away where we can get things (Lowe's HD, Circuit City...).

PS/EDIT - We don't have a traffic light in our town nor any central village or anything. Just a speed zone on the main road.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I live near a town of about 30,000 people and it takes about 15 minutes to get there by car. I also live in a remote part of our town. Police protection comes from the State Police and it takes them about 45 minutes to respond to an emergency if they have a car available. Volunteer Fire Department protection is by appointment and also takes a minimum of a 20 minute response. My home is served the the fire department in the other state by Mutual Aid, so I have been told. Haven't ever called for a fire truck, so I don't know. Ambulance service is volunteer also, and that is about a 20/30 minute response time also. I guess that is why they call this the Quiet Corner of Connecticut.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We're more rural. We're 20 mins from Parkersburg WV and 30 mins from Marietta OH (LBrown57's stomping grounds) :eek:
About 80k population between the two towns and surrounding areas. Both have a small town feel. But we visit Columbus OH 6 to 10 times a year. We used to work / live there (for 15 years) so we know the area well and have quite a few friends still there. I love to visit the big city, but it also makes me glad to live in the country.

I love Chicago. Haven't been there for 5 years or so. I alway have to drive lake shore drive at night when there. The downtown area is awesome to visit. We go to the John Hancock building and instead of going to the observation level, we stop one level below that at the bar. There you can sit and have a drink while enjoying the view. I can't imagine people living one hour from Chicago and not taking advantage of it...at least once in awhile.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rural or if you like, In the Sticks!........In the middle of 20 acres with another neighboring 20 acres (IL's) to take care of. Zip code is Kittanning, PA but I'm 8 miles away near Whitesburg, PA (pop. not listed but probably <50)

Closest Tractor Supply is in Kittanning (pop. 4800), 8 miles away
Indiana, PA (Indiana University of PA, very good business school which my first son is a graduate) pop. 15,000, 20 miles away
Pittsburgh, PA (Steelers blew last week) pop. 335,000, 48 miles away.

All services are volunteer.......
State Police law enforcement......
This is the first year building permits have been required (Armstrong County)!
I pi** off my FRONT porch all the time........:tiphat:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
We are located about 80 miles straight west of downtown Chicago. This is a very rural area, however due to the fact that it is flat and all paved roads, I don't consider it at all "rugged". We do have the conveinience of being only about 15 miles from DeKalb, where Northern Illinois University is located, so all the conveniences of a large shopping district and the such are right down the road. We also love to visit downtown Chicago, and we have actually decided that if we ever get to purchase a "vacation" property, it will be a condo in downtown.

The country or downtown....the suburbs SUCK!! I can't stand suburban traffic, at least in the middle of Chicago, you can live with no vehicle and walk or public transportation to anything you could need.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Another common measurement for our area.

My similar anecdote is that I can walk out the front door a la natural, and go straight to the pool. Swim for 15-20 minutes, and walk back into the house.

Peeing on the property...heck, I had my wife convinced that whenever I did that, it would help keep the coyotes away from the property. It's still a running joke of ours whenever I do that.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I'm in a rural setting also. I live about 4 miles outside of a town of about 30,000. All the development is north of town & I live on the SE side. Wally world, Lowes & the rest of the small town business eliminators are about 15 minutes away. My neighbors have both guns and drag cars, and no one bitches about the noise from either. I have a 25 minute drive to my shop thru farms & amish countryside. I venture to Cleveland 5-6 times a year to ball games or to different restaurants such as Dave & Buster's which my wife has grown fond of. Cleveland is about an hour +- drive for us & I love going to the city & really love getting back home.

JimR

Charter Member
We live 10 minutes from the second largest city in N.E. (Worcester Pop 100,000+) Paxton has about 4400 people. Traffic is really beginning to suck as the outer towns beyond us are building up like crazy. Boston is 1 hour + away depending on traffic. The beach (ocean) is 1 1/2 away. I can be in Long Island Sound in 1 hour 45 minutes with my boat. I can shoot in my neighbors backyard. We have about 45 acres and I think it is what I call very Urban around here. The houses in my neighborhood are not packed in like sardines.
Here's the old farm built in 1750 that we own next door to our house. The trees in front of the house are no longer there.

Attachments

• Barn00013.jpg
    Barn00013.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 106

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
bczoom said:
I'm rural.
As measured around here, if you can:
#1 - unload a high-capacity weapon in your back yard
#2 - nobody calls the police or otherwise
#3 - the neighbor pulls out his weapon and unloads in their yard as well, just to be neighborly (a way of saying "I'm with 'ya...")
Brian.........I just found an old video of one of your neighborhood BBQ's............Family fun for all ages

dzalphakilo

Banned
We live about 16 miles outside of Winston Salem, N.C. Called the "triad area" for Greensboro, Winston, and High Point.

Yadkin county where I'm now at has a total paopulation of 30k people. Winston and surrounding areas in Forsythe county (about 15 minutes away and where Winston Salem is located) has apopulation of over 300k people.

I'm about about an hour and a half north of Charlotte, and only three hours away from West Virgina (my second love to my wife).

Have close to 40 acreas (sp!!!) and seems like eveyone on our "street" has a tractor but myself!

Recently moved from a "devolpement" about 15 miuntes away which seems worlds apart from where we are now at.

Have to laugh, went through Chicago ONE time when I was living in N.W Pa and headed out to Idaho couple of years ago. Went through Chicago about 2 a.m and it seem like it was daytime driving (bunch of cars!).

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
TOMLESCOEQUIP said:
Brian.........I just found an old video of one of your neighborhood BBQ's............Family fun for all ages
Tom,
The video brought tears to my eyes. I miss my family...
Outside of their obvious lack of safety precautions, that looks very familiar.
Long story short - 3 of us were in the yard unloading our AR-15's as fast as we could. Local police stopped by and approached us (stopping about 30' away). We finally saw him and we (the 3 of us and the cop) did a mutual shrug of the shoulders and he pointed to his Glock with a look of "how inadequate I am...". He gave us a thumbs up, got in his cruiser and rode away.
Everyone around knows what my neighbor and I have/use. All also know that there is no forgiveness for criminal trespass our particular parcel of life.

OregonAlex

I think I am in a similiar situation as most of you here. Half way between Portland, OR and the Pacific coast. 1 hr each way. Going into Portland ain't no big deal, but is always nice to know that you can go to the city and it doesn't follow you home. I guess I don't mind going to the big city, because I don't commute anywhere on a normal basis. Otherwise going to the city would be a little more frustrating, I can still laugh about getting stuck in a traffic jam. Gives me perspective.

oh..another measure of being rural. Is the zoning around you and set backs of houses/structures from property lines. Mine is typically forest, 80 acre minimal divison, 150 ft set back. I guess I am lucky to have broadband here.

OregonAlex

JimR said:
Here's the old farm built in 1750 that we own next door to our house. The trees in front of the house are no longer there.
Jim, Beautiful photo!! I was in New England back in Sept.. too early for the fall colors however.. darn.

v8dave

Wizard
Rural here, but near suburbia and 30 minutes from Sacramento. Surrounding area is now zoned for 10 acre minimums although we are on an acre parcel. Three miles to the town of Placerville, population 8,500, and nearest traffic signal. Too far from town to get normal DSL, have ISDL and need satellite for TV. All roads except US 50 through Placerville are two lane roads.

First pix is of my backyard butting up against a pasture. Second pix is the American River canyon about 5 miles in the other direction. It's on my nice road to nowhere loop ride of about 25 miles. Last pix is springtime shot just off Highway 49 on the loop to nowhere.

Attachments

• Backyard.jpg
    Backyard.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 77
  • marshall road-cropped-sm.jpg
    marshall road-cropped-sm.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Mustard field.jpg
    Mustard field.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 73

OregonAlex

Dave,

I am jealous of that nowhere loop near your house. would be a great place to take a car or motorcycle ride.

I am amazed you don't get any TV reception via rabbit ears only 1/2 hr out of Sacto' I guess it all depends on line of sight.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
TOMLESCOEQUIP said:
YES!!! I'd say that was Cedarville, but I believe it was that place in Tennesse, Bucks Creek? Been to Cedarville with a bunch of cops once. The last time I saw so many full autos was in the service.

Anyway, Monroe is basically a bedroom community for Toledo Ohio. 30K pop there abouts. We think it's rather funny. People move here from the downriver area of Wayne County [Detroit], and think they're in the country. It's getting way to populated here for my tastes. I live in an area called Bolles Harbour, right of Lake Erie. Houses are spaced a nice amount apart for the most part. I have about 1/2 acre down here.

Now, in BC [Barton City], we have about 150 year round people. Nearest decent sized town is Alpena, about 45 minutes away on back roads. I've got 21 acres of mostly trees with about 2 acres max total cleared. Alcona County, where BC is, is one the least populated counties in Lower Michigan. I love it!! People wve to you, whether they know you or not, I too can whiz anywhere I want, and unload any weapon of choice, any time. Dogs and kids run free, and nobody but me has an exhaust system on their vehicle. Trucks and tractors are the norm, as well as gravel/dirt roads. Hope to be full time up there soon. :coolshade :wave:

Deerlope

I am so rural that we have a wood burning TV. I also take nature breaks outside to conserve potable water.

v8dave

Wizard
OregonAlex said:
Dave,

I am jealous of that nowhere loop near your house. would be a great place to take a car or motorcycle ride.

I am amazed you don't get any TV reception via rabbit ears only 1/2 hr out of Sacto' I guess it all depends on line of sight.

We are certainly within a good straight line distance of Sacramento. But we are in a valley and would have to put up a fairly tall antenna to get free local TV service. But, previously we became accustomed to the non-broadcast TV services available on cable. Since we can't get cable here, we get it now on satellite.

Cityboy

Banned
Rural for now. 15 minutes from downtown Macon, Ga. and 1 hour from Atlanta. I live on 37 acres. I was born in a small city- Griffin, Ga. in 1964 and moved to the Atlanta area in 1976. Lived in the Atlanta metro area about 16 years total, not counting military service time. Every time I go back to Atlanta, I can't wait to leave. The land here keeps increasing in value so I'm looking to sell in about 4 years, take the profit and move farther into the sticks. I miss absolutely nothing about Atlanta. :moon:

OregonAlex

Cityboy,

we did the same thing as you are planning. We used to live 20 min away from the city. Now 1hr.
I assume you are already looking for land further away. Always cheaper and better to buy that future "homestead" land as soon as possible while it is affordable. Hold on to that land, and when you are ready to move, build the house. If you wait to do it till you move, that new homestead further away will eat into your profit that you made on your current home. Got to remember that land further out goes up in value too, just you are ready to move. So is everyone else. ;)

Chief

I would say definitely rural. We live about 12 miles from a very small town. (no stop lights) Almost 3 hours drive to Nashville.

Here is the view from my back door and what I call my "thinking office"

Attachments

• back 40.jpg
    back 40.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 38
  • river bottom hay pasture.jpg
    river bottom hay pasture.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 39

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Probably once was rural but shifting to Suburbs. Lots of growth around Portland. People still think I live in the sticks but I see the excavators getting closer every week. I could shoot all I wanted to at my old place but our new neighborhood is a little more civil. It's not too far to drive to DNR land for shooting fun.

If you can't relieve yourself in your own yard then you might as well be dead!

Chief

The pee test is definitely a prime indicator on the peace and quiet meter. The way I see it is if I can see you or your home, that it too close! :beer:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Rural. Live about 6 miles east of Mineola, about 5.000 people, and 30 miles north of Tyler, about 30,000 lost souls. That puts us about 100 miles east of Dallas. There is a private lake with houses about 1 mile away but can't see it for the pine trees. Lately I've pretty much stayed on my little hill and only venture into Mineola on occasions. Seldom go to Tyler and never, repeat, never go to Dallas unless I absolutely have to.

We lived in Dallas for 13 years and to be honest, when I do go back there, it scares me. I can't believe I lived with all that traffic, noise and hustle for so long and thought that it was a normal way of life. Nope, never again.

The "pee" test is a good criteria. Another is running around at 2 o'clock in the morning in your Fruit of the Looms, chasing and screaming at your dogs, carrying a shotgun and not being arrested. Not even having a cop turn up. Ah, you gotta love the country.

BoneheadNW

Easttexfrank-
You must live close to Eddie Walker from TBN as I believe he lives just north of Tyler. I took a look at the satellite photo of the area on Google Earth and it looks real nice. Do you know Eddie?
Bone

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dean,

It pooped out on me but I saw most of them.
Didn't see the RTV.
How much of that land and animals is yours?