• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Logging Our Home Property

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Below are a couple of pics of a mechanical logger we are using to log timber on our mountain property. This machine is extremely fast and fun to watch. One person can now do the job of a whole logging crew from 25 years ago and do it better, cleaner, faster and safer.

You can cut the tree down, de-limb, measure and cut to length, stack slash, measure board feet of work completed daily and carry out the cut logs to loading area with one operator and this single piece of equipment. The hydraulic driven chain saw is so fast you have to be very quick with the camera to get a pic of the cutting.

P1010053a.jpg

P1010072a.jpg

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, cool! I saw that machine on the Discovery channel a year or so ago. I was amazed at what it could do and the speed at which it could do it. Something tells me that it is one expensive machine!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Something tells me that it is one expensive machine!

I guessed about $250,000.00 while visiting with the operator/owner, he informed me that would only buy about 1/3 to 1/2 of this machine. It is also very labor intensive to maintain and operate the machine. Constant upkeep and maintenance is necessary to keep all of the systems operational and working properly.

The machine will be working in our neighborhood for several more weeks. I will try to get some more pics of the logging process as they proceed to selective cutting of timber around our home property.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There was a very similar machine not too far from me. A new mall was being built about 1/2 way between my home and my office. The property was wooded and they had a machine like that out there for a while while they were clearing the land. It was a very interesting thing to see and I only wish I could have seen more of it from the roadway.

I'd love to see some more photos. Any chance you can show us the process in sequence?