• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need some input from y'all

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Each October me and the Mrs. go to a clambake fundraiser for a local mental health network that a late friend of ours was involved with (I can hardly wait for the "mental health" jokes. Go ahead...:yum:). They raise between $8-10,000 for the event, so it's very worthwhile. I always donate something for the bucket raffles like gift certificates for an hour of my time (I'm a professional handyman), baskets of wine, and the last two years I donated 4-hour classes in basic bread baking as silent auction items. This year I was asked to donate a "Man Gift Basket" for the bucket raffle table, as usually all the baskets are geared to the ladies with all that foo-foo stuff. So here is the challenge. If your wife dragged you to this event and forced you to buy bucket raffle tickets, what would you like to see in this box if you were hoping to win it (guys can use a box after they win to put their "stuff" in. Baskets are foo-foo). I'm going to spent $75-$100 to fill it with goodies. Give me your ideas. Oh, BTW, I'm already getting an assortment of imported beer, so get more creative than that. The more stuff I put in here for the money, the better the return will be for the organization.

P1020842.jpg

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
A tool box with a 6pack, and a couple good steaks.

actually i would have to give this more thought (never good at these things) but i do wanna thank you for giving back to the community. :applause:

and no mental health jokes from me! (too tired to think one up :yum: )

OH! and i like the countertop/cabinets. looks real nice!

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know about others, but I like to have a cordless drill that has a full assortment of bits, some sockets and smaller hand tools in the case with it. Most guys already have the drill, but do they have the wide assortment of bits? I'm talkin hex-shank torx, allen, square drive, philips, flathead, vix, countersink\bores, spade bits and masonry bits. I also like to have a set of sockets (SAE and metric 1/2" and under), as well as a small crescent wrench, small leatherman type pliers, small utility knife and a screwdriver that accepts hex shank bits. I Imagine you could easily drop $75.00 on this stuff.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
A nice set of cresent wrenches , What guy in his right mind wouldn,t love that . :w00t2: Granted I may not qualify as being one whos in his right mind . :biggrin:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A nice set of cresent wrenches , What guy in his right mind wouldn,t love that . :w00t2: Granted I may not qualify as being one whos in his right mind . :biggrin:

I was thinking the same thing, go hit the bargain bins at TSC.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All good suggestions so far. :thumb:
I would add a nice sized pair of channel locks (the big uns) and a bag of shop rags (they always come in handy); one of those tool carrying bags would also be a good addition ...if you have a little left over go to a local auto zone type store and get a tire pressure gauge & some car cleaning supplies. they have some neat man made shamis that work very well.
I agree that 75 will go rather fast but I bet the raffle will go great as long as you have enough men there.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the great ideas so far. Yes, the money will disappear quickly, but I had a brain fart while in the shower. I'm picking up an advance letter from the benefiting organization this morning, and I'm going to ask each place I go to to match the amount I spend in merchandise, and they can write it off as this is a 501(c)(3) organization. I'll let you know how it works, and will post a picture when I get it put together.

Oh, keep the ideas coming. I printed out your responses and will show them to Home Depot, Lowes and Harbor Freight Tools. I'm also trying to get a donation of a high-end kitchen or lav faucet, and I will donate the labor to install. Wish me luck!

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Metric and SAE Crescent wrenches - Yeah Right
To that Add a bucket of prop wash for your Cessna.

I really like the idea do the drill accessories. As said, most have the drill, bits and, etc get broken or lost and need to be replaced or are not purchased in the first place.

Along with that could be some circular saw blades. Multi bit screw drivers. Maybe devise a king of small tool emergency kit and use your skills to make a nice custom fit box for it all to fit in. The custom work would certainly raise the price.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the great ideas so far. Yes, the money will disappear quickly, but I had a brain fart while in the shower. I'm picking up an advance letter from the benefiting organization this morning, and I'm going to ask each place I go to to match the amount I spend in merchandise, and they can write it off as this is a 501(c)(3) organization. I'll let you know how it works, and will post a picture when I get it put together.

Oh, keep the ideas coming. I printed out your responses and will show them to Home Depot, Lowes and Harbor Freight Tools. I'm also trying to get a donation of a high-end kitchen or lav faucet, and I will donate the labor to install. Wish me luck!

That is a very good idea with the faucet. Where can I buy tickets to this raffle? :D

Good luck JEV!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought three sets of a Masterhand carry rack set last year at TSC. They have 16 wrenches, 8 SAE and 8 metric. I paid $20 a piece and gave a set to each of my sons. I find myself always tote'n them around when I work on something.

I can't find the set on the net but it's one of the best ideas that everyone I gave to loves.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I was at a charity auction last year and one of the most popular items was a 8 or 10 yards of gravel (delivered). I got outbid in the end but I bid three times on it.

Never underestimate items that men actually use/need on a frequent basis.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I was at a charity auction last year and one of the most popular items was a 8 or 10 yards of gravel (delivered). I got outbid in the end but I bid three times on it.

Never underestimate items that men actually use/need on a frequent basis.

Thats a very good idea PB , but I just got 10 tons of driveway gravel delivered a few weeks ago & it was damn near 400 bucks .

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yup - it's something most people in the country can use and if you pay a little extra for a good cause then it is worth it. To me, it is worth a lot more than a pedicure or some jam. ;)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Assemble the survival kit from Doctor Stangelove and put it in the box, along with a dvd of the flick iteslf.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe I should throw in that damn Kel-Tek PF9 that requires skinny fingers to shoot. I have two clips and an Uncle Mike's holster for it as well. :yum::yum:

I used the influence of a friend who works for a local plumbing supply, and I will be getting a new Moen kitchen faucet as a donation. They agreed to donate it as long as I was donating the labor as well. A win-win for them and for my business as well. Have to pick it up next week.

I hit Harbor Freight & Garbage today and picked up a few items for the box. Got a multi meter for $5, couple of 9-led flashlights for $3, some white ties, colored electrical tape assortment and a telescoping magnetic pickup tool for a buck or two each. They have a big sale starting Oct 1st, so I'll go back after that. I don't need everything until the 23rd.

Sorry Doc, but you have to buy the raffle tickets at the door.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
How about some of your sticky buns that last forever? LOL
Include the recipe too.
There are no body part repair/replacements/removals involved, so I have to nix that idea. We're talking some serious work involved in making those puppies.:brows::brows:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Please don't insult the buyer by filling this thing with Harbor-Freight crap tools.

I'd rather have one good screwdriver than a set of easily broken junk tools from HF.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
There are no body part repair/replacements/removals involved, so I have to nix that idea. We're talking some serious work involved in making those puppies.:brows::brows:
*sigh* I know.. I remember them well.
Hey! How about a gift card from Red Lobster?:w00t2:
You could tuck that inside. They come in $10 and $25 on up.
Who doesn't like to go out for a night to dinner?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
*sigh* I know.. I remember them well.
Hey! How about a gift card from Red Lobster?:w00t2:
You could tuck that inside. They come in $10 and $25 on up.
Who doesn't like to go out for a night to dinner?
Why not just give them a trip to Toiletville without having to eat at Dead Lobster. That place is a pit, it stinks, and the people are not pleasant. At least that's been my experience at the local joint nearby. The carpeting is filthy, which just skeeves me to no end. But thank you kindly for the idea. I'll take the bamboo shoots under the finger nails instead.

(can you tell I don't like Dead Lobster?)