• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Flies. Anybody else having problems?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The past 2 weeks it seems we are being overwhelmed by flies. Was bad in the barnyard but now they are getting in the house from all the pets going in and out all the time. Just hung up a third fly strip and have them on the list for tomorrow when I go for feed. I have been trying to spray the cows but they are real spooky about being misted with the equine spray I have from when we had mules and horses. Might have to hang some of the traps I used in the old barn. I can't spray in the house because of the birds or I would fog the hell out of them.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
We had flys & skeeters really bad here until i finally did something about it , I keep an aerseol can of the equine spray on the patio for when were going to sit out there .

But I finally bought a 15 gallon tank & sprayer that i mounted on my old golfcart & rigged it up with a short boom to spray the yard as well , I just got the concentrated equine stuff & mix it with water spray anywhere where were going to be around in the grass , wifes gardens ect & haven,t noticed any problems since I started doing that . It seems to Lasts several days .

I dont know how much it would bother livestock but sure dont effect all my damn cats & they do tend to draw flys when you have as many as we do . :smile:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Same thing here , Muleman ..... I thinks its all the bullsh*t that I talk about on forums :yum::yum:. Actually when we remodeled the old ranch house I found thousands of the bastards living in between the shingles and siding . I sprayed everywhere and double wrapped the house with Tyvek before putting up the new siding . Foamed behind every piece of window trim too . If you fart in this place it will stay with you for a week :unsure:. That pretty much:w00t2: stopped the fly problem , now all I need is a face mask for the farts .:biggrin:

mak2

Same thing here , Muleman ..... I thinks its all the bullsh*t that I talk about on forums :yum::yum:. Actually when we remodeled the old ranch house I found thousands of the bastards living in between the shingles and siding . I sprayed everywhere and double wrapped the house with Tyvek before putting up the new siding . Foamed behind every piece of window trim too . If you fart in this place it will stay with you for a week :unsure:. That pretty much:w00t2: stopped the fly problem , now all I need is a face mask for the farts .:biggrin:

Be thankful you dont own my Dobie, he farts and it peels the paint of the walls. As in just now.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The only major change around this area is they just turned out 11 horses and 14 cows on about 20 acres they had made first cutting on near the end of my lane. Just has gotten real bad the past week or two. Maybe it is the second hatch just getting going.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We've got several electric bug zappers that do a pretty good job around the house and barn.

We also put out fly predators once a month around the barn, turnouts, and the manure pit.

Before I put up the bug zappers we were covered up by the flies, worst in years.

Jim

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use the dust in bags that hangs in the barn for the cow flies. I have 3 bat houses and tennants of them help out some. we just keep the doors closed and have screens on the house and not much of a problem inside. Riding the motorcycle past dairies is bad . This year doesn't seem bad.
jim

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
They've been a problem just in the last week. Can't sit outside without having the everloving hell annoyed out of you.

I just finished fogging around the house this evening and it seems to have taken care of them for now. I usually do that about once a week but I was a little lax last week and missed it.

I usually spray the yard about 3 or 4 times a year. It takes about 150 gallons and another 50 on the "back 40" and around the veggie gardens. Last time I used stuff I got on sale at Lowe's that said, "Spray once and be done for 2 months". I obviously slept through about 6 weeks of that 'coz I did it 2 weeks ago and, while there's not a lot of them, they're definitely back. I'm going back to my old standby - SEVIN.

It's a continuing battle.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope I'm not speaking too soon (and knock on wood). I only see about 3 flies a year at my place. About the same number of mosquitos.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope I'm not speaking too soon (and knock on wood). I only see about 3 flies a year at my place. About the same number of mosquitos.

What did you say your address was?

I have a lot of "friends" here who want to fly over for a visit since your place isn't crowded. :whistling:

benspawpaw

this sounds like a joke but we have been doing this for years and it works i promise

get gallon ziplock bags
fill 3/4 full of water
tie string tight at top
hang just outside door
flies wont come around

resturants down here do this it really works dont know why and dont care cause it does

we have one by the carport door and one on the poarch no fly problem no joke

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
this sounds like a joke but we have been doing this for years and it works i promise

get gallon ziplock bags
fill 3/4 full of water
tie string tight at top
hang just outside door
flies wont come around

resturants down here do this it really works dont know why and dont care cause it does

we have one by the carport door and one on the poarch no fly problem no joke
Adding sugar to the water might help.
While I was in the hospital, I had bananas ontop of the fridge that went black.. so of course the fruit flies moved in.
I put out a bowl of syrupy sugar water when I'd realized what was going on.
Every one of them found their way into the water overnight.
I felt cruel, but what else was I going to do? lol