• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mashed Cauliflower (with a twist)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We switched from Mashed Potatoes in my house to Mashed Cauliflower because of the carbohydrate difference (due to my daughter's diabetes). The problem is that we actually like it but it takes too long to prepare.

So I tried a little experiment. I ordered some FREEZE DRIED cauliflower from one of those survivalist/preparedness suppliers. The brand I bought was SARATOGA FARMS.

Now I'm not well versed on freeze dried foods, been quite awhile since my backpacking days. I ordered a few cans (#10 size) and was surprised how light they were, almost like they were empty! Opened one up and it was filled tiny shrunken bits of cauliflower. Popped one in my mouth and was very pleasantly surprised that it tasted good, if a bit crunchy.

So here was my plan, toss it in a food processor, grind it up and treat it like mashed potato flakes. I added some dried minced onions and some garlic salt to the food processor, ground it up and the entire contents of a #10 size can fit into a Quart size Mason jar.

The Taste Test:
Boiled some water in the tea kettle, took a pat of butter and 1/2 filled a small bowl with my homemade mashed cauliflower flakes. Mixed it up, let it sit for a few minutes. First thing I noticed when I added the hot water was the aroma, it smelled like freshly steamed cauliflower. Taste was very good, not quite the same as fresh, but still darn good.

The Downside:
Cost. No way around it, the cost is high. Fresh cauliflower in the store is pretty inexpensive. One full head feeds the family as a side dish. Same quantity freeze dried is probably 4x the price. What is the cost of convenience? I'm not sure its worth the price, but it will be added to the pantry. Will it be a substitute for fresh? Yes, but only sometimes. Clearly the fresh cooked is the smarter answer, but in a pinch the freeze dried will round out a meal in only a couple of minutes.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
why not just cook up a huge batch (say 3 times what your family normally eats) and freeze the leftovers in single serving portions?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I bet that if you bought an AR rifle with a custom bacon camo paint job - then he would have to like and appreciate you.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I bet that if you bought an AR rifle with a custom bacon camo paint job - then he would have to like and appreciate you.
If I ever post a pic of myself with my gun, holding a dish of cauliflower with a pound of fried bacon on my head fashioned into a hat, perhaps that would do it!
Ya think?:smile:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
you, your handgun, holding a dish of mashed cauliflower, wearing a "bakini" and a smile...

oh, wait - do I smell brimstone?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
now I know you don't love me -- I expected a "thwack", not a scatological insult...

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
sigh.
it's just not the same if you have to ask for it...

back on topic:
I wonder if he's ever tried hummus - with or without cheese or bacon...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
sigh.
it's just not the same if you have to ask for it...

back on topic:
I wonder if he's ever tried hummus - with or without cheese or bacon...
I am willing to bet Bob has tried hummus.. he seems to be pretty much interested in cooking, and FOOD... as far as I can tell.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
well, it's low carb/glycemic index, and easier to make than mashed cauliflower...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
well, it's low carb/glycemic index, and easier to make than mashed cauliflower...
He needs to browse this site (if he hasn't already) and find good healthy foods to fit into Melen's diet, and to satisfy the tastebuds for the entire family.
http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/index.html?s_kwcid=TC%257c3015%257clow%252520glycemic%252520index%252520recipes%257c%257cS%257cb%257c2671890593&gclid=COj6wsDn1J0CFdFL5Qod3jfBqA

:smile:

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/recipeResults.html?keyword=cauliflower&go.x=0&go.y=0

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter

I'm not so sure about that. Chickpeas\Garbanzo beans are loaded with complex carbs. But for the record, I f*cking love hummus with bacon.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I'm not so sure about that. ChickpeasGarbanzo beans are loaded with complex carbs. But for the record, I f*cking love hummus with bacon.

but do you have magic underwear on?

speaking of which - canadian bacon "pasties" or "stitched together before cooking" thick cut bacon for that bakini we're trying to talk PG into modeling?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
so you think extra crispy would give additional support - or would it just chafe?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
so you think extra crispy would give additional support - or would it just chafe?
That's a question that I cannot answer.
I am thinking I'd need approximately 6 lbs of bacon in order to forum any full support.
3 lbs for each. :ohmy::rolf2:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
better make it 10 pounds - that leaves extra for a trial run and should still leave enough for a demi cup after snacking...

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
but do you have magic underwear on?

speaking of which - canadian bacon "pasties" or "stitched together before cooking" thick cut bacon for that bakini we're trying to talk PG into modeling?

What underwear?

But for the record, I didn't lobby any member to model a baconini, or any other variety of pork-based intimates. Your desires are becoming way too intertwined. I recommend that you skip breakfast tomorrow. It could be too confusing ....:w00t2:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you two have been dipping in the recipe LOL
Sorry, Walton's-Baldwin Sisters reference haha!!

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
this recipe?

750mL tequila
2 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 oz orange extract
23 oz lemon juice

serve over ice

supposedly good for 4-6 people?