• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do not call list

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
It seems the telemarketers are back in business, despite the reports in the news of fines for ignoring the do not call list. I put my number on the list when it started, but have gotten several calls in the last few weeks. I figured I would turn them in, but haven't figured out how to get them to reveal their identities without ordering their product. I usually lose my temper and mention the do not call list and the line goes dead. Anyone else have the problem?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, there has been a marked increase in telemarketing calls in the last few months and I too am on the no-call list. The problem here is that they are almost exclusively computer generated and how do you report a computer that won't give you it's name, address and telephone number. It's really annoying.

k-dog

When the do not call list first started, there was a five year limit put on it and then you have to enroll again. There was talk of making it for unlimited time, but I'm not sure if that ever went through. You may have to renew as the 5 year time would have been up about now if you signed up when it first came out.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I went through the renewal process, but then heard that was no longer necessary.

One would think that the telemarketers would want the heed the do not call list. Those that are on it have expressed their desire to be left alone. The next time I will punch "1" to talk to a real person and then set the phone down for a while.

urednecku

Site Supporter
I'm gonna try what a friend does. He starts talkin' to 'em, then all sudden asks what they are wearing, about their underwear, that kinda $hit, to see how long till the caller hangs up!

Trakternut

You know how they ask for (your name here) at the beginning of their call?
A friend of mine, when asked if "Joe Smith" was there, answered; "Nope! He's up at the State Hospital. Seems that telemarketers drove him crazy!!"
Or, when asked for "Joe", he'd tell them that "Joe" had died. They couldn't apologize fast enough or in enough volumes.

urednecku

Site Supporter
You know how they ask for (your name here) at the beginning of their call?
A friend of mine, when asked if "Joe Smith" was there, answered; "Nope! He's up at the State Hospital. Seems that telemarketers drove him crazy!!"
Or, when asked for "Joe", he'd tell them that "Joe" had died. They couldn't apologize fast enough or in enough volumes.
That's a good idea, too. And "Joe" was my Dad, right? Or maybe a spouse?

benspawpaw

tell them you are interested in their product and talk to them without giving anf info ask for a website to check out b 4 you buy to make sure they are for real if this works either report them are send a letter to home office telling them you will report if they dont stop i have done this a few times and got an address and wrote never heard from those again good luck

D

darroll

My neighbor has calling number ID.
Then they punch it up on this web site.
http://whocalled.us/lookup/9414263630
I get the new car warranty call about six times a week.
It's really a scam. You send money and never hear from them again.
It's some off-shore outfit that loves our stupidity.

icon9.gif

The Tourist

Banned
The nice thing about being retired and insane (no, I'm not kidding, I am truly insane and have papers to prove it) is that I have plenty of time.

If I get a telemarketing call when I'm sharpening in the afternoon, I just put the phone on 'speaker' and begin a pleasant talk--for as long as I can.

My record is twenty minutes. I wonder how much commission money it cost that putz.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Lately the callers have nearly all had Indian or Pakistani accents. I wonder if that is something else that has been outsourced???