• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do You Post Your Land?

Chief

Just curious to see what other folks do with respect to this issue. Initially I posted my land but have since let that job out to the hunt clubs I lease land to. That has been a mixed bag so far in that some clubs have posted signs and some have not.

It would be interesting to get some views from others who post or don't post their land and what has turned out to be effective at keeping trespassers out and controlling access.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No, I do not post but I insist on permission! I request notification (when possible) when they are hunting. I do discourage folks that do not live in the township but if I get personal forewarning I always permit. If I approach a newbie, I call them on it and interview. They then get the ground rules. The only reason I go to that extend is to make them aware of my animals (pets). I have not had a problem and everyone around seems to know the ground rules for my property. I only have 20 acres and care for another 80 neighboring acres (family) but it is a haven for game. Lots of deer, turkey and rabbits. I'm a bird hunter and I actually have to rely on the property of others for any success. I always ask permission and always offer my property in trade..........:a1:

Archdean

Chief, I couldn't Help but notice the gigantic smily that is now your avitar!!

Can one surmise that you are now the happiest of the happy campers?:D

Dean

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I have about 75 new "No Trespassing" signs up since buying the land in August. It's too close to public DNR land and gets some "overflow" so the signs are meant to cut that down.

Never did and unless we get a bunch of a55ho1es who abuse the right to use my land, I can't imagine every posting a no-tresspassing sign or anything like it.

We don't own the land - we only borrow it for our short lifetime on this earth.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes.

Besides myself, I have 2 sons, 2 nephews, and a brother who hunt on our land (179 acres)and at least 1/yr one of us has an encounter with a trespasser...even though it's posted. By law (in Michigan) I don't have to post it as it is considered farm land, however posting takes away any question.

FWIW - Most of this land has been in my family since 1879, so it's not just new property owners who have this problem.

rico304

We have about 22 acres and I started posting this year.(for hunters/trappers only) Last hunting season a guy in a car shot from the road at a deer about 125 yards away from my house. I was standing in the yard with my wife, her friend and my son. There are about 3-400 acres of State Park around most of my land. I feel that is enough land for them to stay on. I don't want to take a chance. That being said, if anyone asks for permission to hunt on my land, I would let them know house location and that kids are here and ask them to hunt safely. I don't mind people being on my land, I just don't want to endanger my family.

Chief

We don't own the land - we only borrow it for our short lifetime on this earth.

Between the ownership siezed at gun point by local government taking property taxes and the short time we are on this big blue marble; truer words were never spoken Tom. :beer:

Chief

Wannafish said:
Yes.

Besides myself, I have 2 sons, 2 nephews, and a brother who hunt on our land (179 acres)and at least 1/yr one of us has an encounter with a trespasser...even though it's posted. By law (in Michigan) I don't have to post it as it is considered farm land, however posting takes away any question.

FWIW - Most of this land has been in my family since 1879, so it's not just new property owners who have this problem.

Sounds like a very interesting family story. From what I have seen, 179 acres is a very large parcle of land for that area of the country. I'll bet is was a remote and beautiful wilderness in 1879.

COB

I think by posting your land your just inviting people onto it. Locals loathe the pompous outsiders that move in and put no trespassing signs up all over.

Chief

COB said:
I think by posting your land your just inviting people onto it. Locals loathe the pompous outsiders that move in and put no trespassing signs up all over.

Not sure whether you were trying to portray the thinking process of "locals" or what? What exactly is a "pompous outsider"? And why does it seem to be an issue that a private property owner chooses to exercise his God & Constitutional given rights of ownership of his or her property?

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"Sounds like a very interesting family story. From what I have seen, 179 acres is a very large parcle of land for that area of the country. I'll bet is was a remote and beautiful wilderness in 1879."

It still is.
There is a 240 acre parcel abutting the rear of ours that belongs to my father's cousin (their farm contains ~2000 acres.) I can spend all day walking on private property and never cross a road or see anyone. It is quite unique for the lower peninsula of Michigan...and I love it.

Ah, Thank You Lord!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
COB said:

I don't get this either. If someone owns the land and posts the signs then stay off it unless you have permission. It's one of the few things in this world that should be black and white. Anything else just results in confusion.

As far as "locals" vs. "outsiders" - times change, people move, deal with it.

In my experience the people that ignore no trespassing signs tend to also disrespect the land that they are trespassing on.:argueing:

COB

€hieƒ™ said:
Not sure whether you were trying to portray the thinking process of "locals" or what? What exactly is a "pompous outsider"? And why does it seem to be an issue that a private property owner chooses to exercise his God & Constitutional given rights of ownership of his or her property?

That is precisely what I'm trying to do. To invoke the contempt the locals feel when someone moves into "their" part of the planet and puts no trespassing signs up. Ergo it is the new property owners legal right to post, it's just so "in your face" to the locals.

A "pompous outsider" is just that. An arrogant outsider that moves in and makes every effort to keep any and everyone off his land.

Chief

COB said:
That is precisely what I'm trying to do. To invoke the contempt the locals feel when someone moves into "their" part of the planet and puts no trespassing signs up. Ergo it is the new property owners legal right to post, it's just so "in your face" to the locals.

A "pompous outsider" is just that. An arrogant outsider that moves in and makes every effort to keep any and everyone off his land.

I see what you are saying now. I guess I am just out of sync with how things work. :walk: I didn't realize it was improper for me to try to stop the locals from dumping their garbage, refridgerators, old carpet, waste paint and thinners, on my property, not to mention cutting my fences so they can drive their ATV's around my land tearing up the hill sides. I guess these locals must have been trying to be ecologically savy to help feed the buzzards by dumping half butchered deer carcases. ;)

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah Chief, I ran into the same sort of "local" last summer on my property. I introduced myself and said that I was sure that the guy didn't know that I was the new property owner, but I have 5 kids who will be playing on the property, including paintball gun fights there, and it sure wouldn't mix well with hunters thinking that people may be trying to shoot at them. So, I told him that I couldn't allow tresspassing or hunting. He proceeded to tell me that he had hunted that land since he was a kid and he had no intention of stopping now.

Well, I told him that I'm sorry, but he would have to stop and, by the way, how long had his family owned the land? (loaded question; a corporation had owned it for 70 years and had never allowed hunting) He told me that he had never owned it, but always had permission. Okay, I asked who had given him permission? Basically, he got caught lying and admitted that he had been tresspassing all these years without any permission and just hadn't been caught. After a brief discussion, he finally left. I noted the tire type and tracks left by his 4 wheeler. He has been back. It appears that he cut down my gate again last week. It also appears that he found my present I left for whoever cut down my gate. ;) There are tell tale signs as to where the 4 wheeler was pushed and dragged away. :whistle:

I'm sure there will be more to follow. But, I can't help it if a guy damages his 4 wheeler when he cuts my gate down and runs it over. I already told him that for a few hundred thousand he could buy out my part and go there all he wanted. I think he is a few bucks short; among being short on other things...

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo,

It doesn't matter - new property owner or owned it for 50 years. When you are dealing with people who will intentionally use/abuse your property without permission you are dealing with :moon: s. They do not now, nor will they ever, give a crap about anyones property (other than the 1/4 acre they own).
They deserve to be treated with the same disrespect they give.

This does NOT apply to those who inadvertantly wander onto your land, and when confronted admit they didn't know - and then follow up by NOT doing it again. It IS directed at ANY freakin' moron who would damage someones gate after they have been politely told to stay off.

Where's my ladder? I need to climb down off my soapbox now...:drink:

BoneheadNW

Dargo said:
Yeah Chief, I ran into the same sort of "local" last summer on my property. I introduced myself and said that I was sure that the guy didn't know that I was the new property owner, but I have 5 kids who will be playing on the property, including paintball gun fights there, and it sure wouldn't mix well with hunters thinking that people may be trying to shoot at them. So, I told him that I couldn't allow tresspassing or hunting. He proceeded to tell me that he had hunted that land since he was a kid and he had no intention of stopping now.

Well, I told him that I'm sorry, but he would have to stop and, by the way, how long had his family owned the land? (loaded question; a corporation had owned it for 70 years and had never allowed hunting) He told me that he had never owned it, but always had permission. Okay, I asked who had given him permission? Basically, he got caught lying and admitted that he had been tresspassing all these years without any permission and just hadn't been caught. After a brief discussion, he finally left. I noted the tire type and tracks left by his 4 wheeler. He has been back. It appears that he cut down my gate again last week. It also appears that he found my present I left for whoever cut down my gate. ;) There are tell tale signs as to where the 4 wheeler was pushed and dragged away. :whistle:

I'm sure there will be more to follow. But, I can't help it if a guy damages his 4 wheeler when he cuts my gate down and runs it over. I already told him that for a few hundred thousand he could buy out my part and go there all he wanted. I think he is a few bucks short; among being short on other things...
Uh oh. Do I detect a fist fight coming! :D :batterUp:

Bonehead

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I own 21 acres of prime hunting land upnorth. The only No Hunting signs are ones that were left by the former owner. I'm the new kid on the block up there, and the neighbors are very good to me. I can be absent for months, and nothing is bothered. Do they hunt on my land when I'm not there? Yep! Could I stop them? Nope. So, I made it real clear my first year of owning, that, yes, I was going to be a fulltimer, and that I planned on minimum impact to "THEIR" way of life. Since, I've been asked if some of them could hunt on my property. Sure, when I'm not there. If I am there, they know that there is no hunting. Works very well, and they all seem to like us.

On another note: It always amazes me with some of the downstaters there. You can always tell them. They're the ones with 5 acres of manicured lawn in the middle of a National Forest. We actually had one guy that got irate because a bear took a dump on his lawn. Well huh!!:4_11_9::smileywac:whistle::beer:

Chief

I am not sure where Ursus nutrient residue falls on the fertilizer value scale but you would think that guy would be happy for some free plant food. :D

JimR

Charter Member
COB said:

My land is not posted. I don't worry about trespassing hunters as much as I worry about my new neighbor the ahole from the city. He is a pompus arrogant ass that moved in and tried to use our land to drain his property on. Oh well, he got his drain pipe right back on his property in fine fashion real quick. Now he doesn't wave and makes like he doesn't even see me. Friggin jerk ought to move back to the city where he came from. Our property is considered farm land. I want to start a pig farm right across the street from his beautiful picture perfect estate. What a nice guy I am. Maybe some goats and sheep right aside of his house are in order too. I heard he already asked the town about my cockadoodledooing roosters and if we needed a permit to have them. Send me the hunters. Maybe they can drive him out.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"Send me the hunters. Maybe they can drive him out."

Jimmer,

Let me know when and where. I love to hunt! Or maybe we could set up a shooting range!:toilet:

Tact

Dargo said:

I think you did the proper thing and maybe not enough. Have him locked up for tresspassing and for vandalizing your fence. Idiots like him piss me off so bad; thinking you owe him the right to hunt on your land. First time I always give people the benifit of the doubt, but second time caught after a warning then all bets are off. I bought my hunting land for my family and friends and not outsiders who think they can hunt where ever they choose, with or without permission. I'm so fired up now I'm going to my property to check for scum tresspassers that have been warned.:2gunsfiri