• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Canned goods - the good and the bad

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What are your findings on either good or bad canned goods?

I just cracked open a couple cans of StarKist tuna. Inside was just a bunch of mush. Taste is pretty much non-existent. I do like to have/see at least some chunks in there and have a little taste.

So, what's a good tuna?

Soups?

Other canned goods?

OkeeDon

Since I discovered my extensive heart damage, I have given up all canned foods and most other processed foods. For those who weren't around at the time, my situation is that my heart is so severely damaged (dead heart muscle in the left ventrical) that heart surgery is not possible to repair my clogged arteries. Therefore, the only hope I have to stay alive is to make every effort to prevent my arteries from further clogging, and to reduce any tendency for a fluid buildup around my heart.

Canned and boxed dinner foods have so much sodium they are non-starters for me. A serving of canned soup has more than half of all the salt it is healthy for me to eat; the entire can is more than the daily allowance. Processed foods also tend to have more fat and more cholesterol, depending on the type of food.

I now make my beans, soups and stews from scratch so I can control what's in them. Our slow cooker has become my best friend. I eat much less meat and consider the ingredients before I cook anything.

In other words, there is nothing in most canned goods for me but bad. There are exceptions, of course.

Whatever I'm doing has worked; long-time friends will know that 2-1/2 years ago, I did not expect to live out the year. My heart function (ejection fraction) has increased from 17 t0 25, and I enjoy many activities I never thought I'd be able to do. It's all diet and very little medication -- aspirin, water pills, Coreg and Crestor.

If I had been eating this way since I started adulthood, I would most likely not have my problems.