• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Easy recipies for cooking

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone got any quick easy recipies to knock up good food with basic ingredients?

I get bored of the same meals very quickly (what comes with growing up with a very fussy brother) so I like to have something different every now and again, though I find I would rather not eat than spend a long time cooking. So lets get some variation going!

Heres one I knocked up a while back
Chuck a couple 100g beef mince into a frying pan, couple handfuls peas, and a can of baked beans, and about 2 spoons of water. Chuck in anything else you'd fancy (vegetables). Cover it with a tray and boil/fry it till the meat is cooked. Take the tray off (uncover) and fry until the water boils off and leave it for a few muintes to fry up a bit.
Eat with boiled new potatoes or anything else that you have kicking around.
Basic, but tasted OK, and almost no cooking skill needed, and really basic ingredients.

:beer:

GaryE

The simplest dish I know is boil up a big pot of water… dump in some tobasco sauce, couple of by leaves, a beer, some Old Bay seasoning and two lobsters! Serve with more beer!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Take a baking dish, toss in a large can of baked beans and a package of smoked sausage sliced. Put in the oven uncovered for 30 mins at 350 until the beans are bubbling and beginning to thicken. While thats happening, fry up some sliced potatoes with onion. Cornbread if you want......I want....:yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Take a large piece of aluminum foil, wrap it around a cored head of cabbage. In the core cavity of the cabbage put a large dose of butter. In addition too the butter you can add whatever your heart desires. Mushrooms and salt are good. Also blue cheese, honey & walnuts are good additions. But there the possibilities are endless.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you are feeling really lazy, try 'great dorset or camion stew' Take a can of potatoes, can of tomatoes, can of mushrooms, can of minced beef and onions and a can of marrowfat peas. Put all in a saucepan, mix and heat. Bung in anything else that takes your fancy, like herbs or suchlike. Very handy recipe on the rally field!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
I remember another one, good for camping.
Grab a spud, split it open. put it on a big slice of tin foil. trhrow some mince on top, swede, peas, onion, bit of water. Wrap the whole lot in the foil, throw it in the fire for a while, when it comes out, meal in a bag!

And a dessert,
Butter 2 slices of bread. With the buttered side out make a sandwich with mixed dried fruit and sugar on the inside. Wrap with foil and throw in the fire. Tasts proper good!

These are good ones all, thanks, gunna try them out some time. reckon I'm gunna need to wait for the loan to come through for Garys idea though! :D

Ice, got any more like that? Gunna try that sometime I reckon, though without the marrowfat peas, eugh! ;)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wrap with foil appears to be a theme here. But it reminded me of how we do corn (on the cob) on the grill. We shuck it, Rub country crock margerine all over and wrap it in foil leaving one end open. Salt & pepper if you like. Then add a few drops of water and close off the end of the foil you left open. Cook on grill 8 to 10 minutes then turn and cook 8 more minutes. Ummm good.

I know that's not a whole meal ....so ....what we have with that is a boneless breast of chicken which has been marinated in Italian Dressing overnight. Cook the chicken right next to the corn. Very tastey. :thumb:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Do you have a slow cooker? Here in the states, they go by the brand name "Crock-Pot". Get a 3 or 4 lb hunk of beef....almost anything inexpensive will do fine. Trim the largest chunks of fat off, and put it in the cooker. Take a jar or two of your favorite mexican salsa, and dump it in a bowl, then pour in one or two packages of cheap powdered brown gravy mix (one package for each jar). Mix the gravy and salsa well, then pour over the beef. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Boil up some white rice, and serve the beef on top of the rice with plenty of the grave spooned over.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Wrap with foil appears to be a theme here. But it reminded me of how we do corn (on the cob) on the grill. We shuck it, Rub country crock margerine all over and wrap it in foil leaving one end open. Salt & pepper if you like. Then add a few drops of water and close off the end of the foil you left open. Cook on grill 8 to 10 minutes then turn and cook 8 more minutes. Ummm good.

I know that's not a whole meal ....so ....what we have with that is a boneless breast of chicken which has been marinated in Italian Dressing overnight. Cook the chicken right next to the corn. Very tastey. :thumb:

Mith, if you head over to my place in early Aug, I will serve up some of the best corn on the cob you have ever had. We actually get a huge pot of salted water boiling, and only after it is at full boil, then we go out and pick a dozen fresh ears of sweet corn right off the stalk. Quickly shuck and clean the ears, and plunk them in the boiling water. Once they are nice and tender (not very long with corn that fresh), pull them out, and dip them in melted butter (margarine?!?! WTF?!?!).

Then eat.

lilnixon

AKA LILVIXEN
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Take a large piece of aluminum foil, wrap it around a cored head of cabbage. In the core cavity of the cabbage put a large dose of butter. :pat:

OK so what do you do with it after you put it in the foil???????:fart2:

lilnixon

AKA LILVIXEN
GOLD Site Supporter
Get a box of Bisquick and there is a recipe on it for Impossible Cheeseburger Pie. IT IS GREAT. But don’t ask John, cause he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy so he won’t eat it. But I have taken it to several different covered dish affairs and people raved about it. I do use a bit more meat than the recipe calls for.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
nixon said:
Feed it to the DOG !!!

No you put it on the BBQ grill for about an hour, or until the cabbage head is soft.

BTW, the dog won't eat the left overs! But there usually are none. :moon:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Get some fresh tilapia filets and dust them with cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning (Luzianne's is the best imho). Sautee them in a hot skillet liberally coated with cooking spray about 2 mins. a side.

Take 'em out and then throw in some fresh asparagus spears for another 4-5 mins. Take out the spears and sprinkle them with some parmesan. A yummy, heart healthy dish and only about 300 calories or so.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You folks make me feel hungry! By the way what is shucking corn, is it pulling the corn bits off? I'm English, so I don't understand these expressions!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I find it interesting the words we use that don't make sense on the opposite side of the big pond. :)

Shucking corn is merely pulling off all the green leaf like things that protect the corn as it grows. You leave the kernels in place on the cob.