• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

burn barrel?

dzalphakilo

Banned
Anyone have a good idea where to pick up 55 gallon steel drums for burning?

On that note, any other ideas of a "storage compartment" for burning "odds and ends" other than a barrel?

Only thing I've seen so far is plastic barrels.

Keep in mind, not looking to spend a lot of money.

Thks

JerryG

A 16' hog panel bent into a circle and wired together works good. The bars are closer together toward the bottom.

Himself

I don't know where to go to get a clean 55 gal barrel, sometimes they have them at gas stations for the taking but that's a hit or miss thing.
Here's an idea for a burn barrel.
I have a 275 gal oil tank on its side. I cut a rectangular lid out of the top (up side) and screwed hinges on so I can open and close it. The bottom of the ends have a big flap cut on three sides and bent open to let air into the bottom, my brother calls them carburetors. You would be amazed at how much you can burn in one of these. When you are finished you can close the lid and go to bed to sleep it off.
The coals stay hot for days if you burn oak.
Nothing like a big fire, some friends and free beverages to work through a big slash pile.
The local FD has nothing bad to say about it, it's not considered open burning.
All the best,
Martin

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I use one of the one time use plastic ones. Once the flames get started, that solid fuel keeps everything going. After it is fully burned out, there is no barrel to put away, so it is a time saver also. I also like the pretty colored flames that they produce. I give the tops to the local kids to use as sleighs when there is snow on the ground. It is a win win for everyone.... Junk.... :tiphat:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Anywhere close to I79 from Morgantown W.V up to Meadville, Pa?

Might take you up on it;)
DZ,

I think I only have one left but can come up with more. I'm 7 miles of the interstate route you mentioned. Give me a heads-up when you're coming and I'll see what I can get. I'll meet you at the interstate if you want as well.

A 55 gal drum is good for burning paper and such but can't withstand the heat of burning wood or whatever. The barrel will melt.

For the burn barrel, I just slam a bunch of holes in it with a pick-axe for air.

Now, if you want something a bit stronger for burning things that are a bit more substantial than paper... It's tough, but see if you can find a 24" diameter, 1/4" steel tube. Since it's so hard to find, many opt for steel culvert pipe. When people rip them out from under their driveway, there's normally 4' from an end that's still good. Drill some holes near the bottom on opposite sides and run rebar from hole to hole. This will keep the material up. Put on blocks and lots of air enters the bottom. Things that burn fall out the bottom as ash.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Thanks Brian.

Heading up to Vermont this week, but somtime this football season I'm supposed to go to a Steelers game with some friends up your way.

Let you know.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
bczoom said:
Good call.
$450, right? :StickOutT
OH NO !!!!!!!!!! Looks like that $450 for the aerator is going in another direction...........But you'll still be able to put holes in the lawn..............................

dzalphakilo

Banned
Himself said:
I have a 275 gal oil tank on its side. I cut a rectangular lid out of the top (up side) and screwed hinges on so I can open and close it. The bottom of the ends have a big flap cut on three sides and bent open to let air into the bottom, my brother calls them carburetors. You would be amazed at how much you can burn in one of these. When you are finished you can close the lid and go to bed to sleep it off.

Funny you should mention the oil tank. My company sells them and the thought crossed my mind. Mentioned the idea to some friends here, and myself being a "damn yankee" was informed that the only thing you use an oil tank for is for a BBQ pit. You should see some of them down here in N.C, hooked up to propane, buners, on a trailer. Guys down here really get into there BBQ.

You have me thinking though.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Anywhere close to I79 from Morgantown W.V up to Meadville, Pa?

Might take you up on it;)

I'm in Kittanning, 45 miles east of I79 off 422, Brian's probably closer to your trek. I had 5 now and can get them anytime.

Brian,

If you need any to fill dzal's order let me know

AndyM

Charter Member
I have one sitting in the driveway at the other place in Amsterdam, Ohio.
Anyone who wants it is welcome to swing by and take it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DZ,

Got another burn barrel yesterday. It's yours if you want it.

Going to have to pass on the Kimber. While hanging the Christmas lights on the house, it became apparent I'm going to need a new roof next year. Add that to all the other items I need to spend $ on, I better not buy too many toys right now.

Brian

dzalphakilo

Banned
Brian

Like you, every time I turn around I need somthing else for the house (already have 3 quotes on my roof this past week as well).

Looking at January, just need to figure out if it (barrel) will fit in my hatchback, or just bite the bullet on gas and take the truck up to Pa. If it's the truck, just might as well pick up some landscaping rocks in W.V;) (like everything else since I bought a home, finding out how expensive the "simple" things can be).

dzalphakilo

Banned
On my end, they may be here, but everywhere I go looking for one, can't find any.

Do know that NC has a no open burn law, but of course it's probably not strictly enforced.

Probably need to find an oil dealer that may have some emty barrels laying around, but as far as a 55 gallon steel can, can't find any (came across a bunch of plastic ones, but don't think they'll work:)

Where do you get/find them at?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A very good friend has a few auto parts stores....:D ! The barrels are to be controlled due to EPA regulations but they are obtainable from FRIENDS!

Chief

Check with your local tractor dealer. Usually they have 55 gallon oil barrels left over. When I purchased a 55 gallon barrel of the John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50, it came in a steel barrel and they had a lot of barrels of other fluids as well as some empties. You be able to get your local dealer to let you have an empty barrel or pay him a few buck for it.