• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 601..value

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I just located a 60's Thikol 601 I think. It runs has a few spare track parts and they are asking $11,000.00. I have no idea if that is fair price and haven't seen the machine up close just some pictures. Not really my thing but after seeing what Weatherby did with his it's hard to resist. Any ideas on a reasonable price?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 533

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I know a fella here with 2 I believe that is about what he wants each for the pair

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Weatherby is an awesome guy, and in my opinion his restoration of a Thiokol 601 is the "Gold Standard" of snowcat restorations. Just unbelievable quality of workmanship and attention to detail.

I would suggest you reach out to him and get his thoughts on what to look for, what a reasonable value might be, as well as what you're looking at in terms of the scope of the work involved, as well as the costs you're potentially facing.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck....

I just located a 60's Thikol 601 I think. It runs has a few spare track parts and they are asking $11,000.00. I have no idea if that is fair price and haven't seen the machine up close just some pictures. Not really my thing but after seeing what Weatherby did with his it's hard to resist. Any ideas on a reasonable price?

I wonder why it wound up at a wrecking yard? - that would give me pause for thought :sad:

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
It's not a wrecking yard.. Although that is what I thought when I saw the picture. It's owned by a construction company and it is parked out in the yard with all of their other equipment.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The owner has some interesting stuff. Off the front of the 601 is an Oliver "Mighty Tow" construction 4WD tractor from the 70's. They run a 4-71 Detroit 2 cycle engine. Cool rig! There maybe two of them, one behind the front one...

If they are asking $11K offer them 8 and be able to wiggle a little. Not many buyers for a 601, and especially this time of year.

It really looks to be in good shape in the pictures.

Regards, Kirk

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Kirk.. I'll see it up close Saturday and another cat he has for sale..I think that one is a LMC 1500. He wants $21k for it. Here's another picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 445

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tom there is a white Might Tow Oliver tractor in this pic to!

Dang, I wish I was there on Saturday to, just to look around a bit. :smile:

Good luck. Hope you can find a price that makes everyone happy. :biggrin:

Regards, Kirk

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll take some pics for you while I'm up there if I can get into the yard

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Pictures of the Olivers. If this is the machine you are referring to there were three of them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 385

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
More 601. 1321 hours..pretty unmolested

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 377

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the Oliver pics. Looks like they have been used to lay cable or fiber optics. My guess is the front attachments are for a cable drum to spool off as it is laid.

The 601, well I think you should have that. Unmolested ones are not easy to come by. I hope you get it bought. The only thing better would be a snow cat get together in Colorado... :flowers:

Regards, Kirk

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I have been giving that some thought. Powderhorn Ski area is only 45 minutes from where I live. At 8500 ft..great snow this year. Right up' thr road at 10,000 ft is the Grand Mesa. Miles of trail and two nice lodge operations . Thinking 2018..any interest out there?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tom I have a friend and business partner in Cannon City, and would love a Colorado winter adventure in your state.

Hap1974

If you can get me the Vin # off the dash plate I may be able to get you some info on that machine! Looking at the pics of the machine I see it has South Dakota plates on it. I think it was a Lawrence county search and rescue cat. If it were theirs they may have some history still on file.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you I will try. Here is what I know..it was with SD CIvil Air Patrol for awhile and then given to a sheriffs dept to use as a SAR vehicle. Machine has had not much use..1321 hours..#118 on the serial number. Delivered 8/1963.

Aaron Tucker

we had a cat jamboree this last year at Vail pass CO . only 4 snowcats but if was fun and should happen again next year .

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Please let me know when you plan to the next one.. I am in Grand Junction..that would be an easy trip,

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Here HAP..this as close as I can get

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 105