• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 343a restoration

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Went and got this Tucker 343a and brought it home today. So the first step of this long journey is complete. Transporting the cat here went really smoothly. Forum8fox and my buddy Brad helped me get it done. We did 40 hours of driving in two days. Too tired to mess with it today but should have more pictures and maybe even some progress by the end of the weekend. IMG_20180725_115420.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
another one has crossed over to the Orange side of sno catting, welcome to the Tucker Mafia

great looking machine and pretty special, not too many of the 343's out there, looking forward to seeing your progress as you get it restored.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I knew I should have stumbled against the table at the Rams Head Bar and spilled the koolade before he took the drink.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
sourcing tracks could be a challenge.

what if he is a friend of the mafia and gets a restored set of pontoons and tracks for his fabulous the 343A, is that still a challenge?

cider tom, you are so funny, spilling the koolade before Glacier could take a drink, only problem, there is only 1 of you and the mafia is everywhere, we pick our victims carefully, very carefully.

original correct choke and throttle cables still there and look good

Last edited:

forum8fox

Let the good times roll. That was a marathon road trip. Hope to see you guys down here some day (Scott and Jen, hell the whole tucker mafia), more trails to run than time could possibly allow (sun up to sun down for over 2 weeks). Vail pass, corona pass, rabbit ears and buffalo pass, cottonwood pass, kebler pass and surroundings, monarch pass, Georgia pass, Montezuma, granby to north park, Carbondale to grand junction, lead king basin/ crystal and I'm sure many more I'm not yet familiar with.

It's going to be nice to really familiarize ourselves with how the Tuckers work finally. I'll probably never be fortunate enough to have one myself, but my brother and I would love to build something custom based on the design platform some day.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
So its a 343 correct ? 300 series, 4 tracks, but i dont see the third door only left and right no rear ??

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
The 342 has the traditional 2 doors and flat bed. They call these 343 because it is the sedan version of the 300 series even though it only has two doors.

The orange panel is part of a road sign. Thought that was kinda funnyIMG_20180729_140146.jpg

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Sean,

Was the bed part of the machine from the factory, or is that something a previous owner added?

What are your plans for your new Tucker? And while you're at it, how about some "deets"? What year model, what engine, transmission, ownership history, etc, etc.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sean,

Was the bed part of the machine from the factory, or is that something a previous owner added?

I'm going out on a limb, but i'm gauging my guess that the floor is period correct for the the rubber gasketed roofing screws holding the primered repair.

:th_lmao:

isnt sean the guy with the ls bombi swap?

im looking forward to the powerplant selection.....

we need more super tuckers!

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Hello Blackfoot Tucker, it is a 1968 343a, serial number 343A-160924. It has a Chrysler 230 flathead, not sure on the transmission. Fiberglass pontoons. It was sold to Ed Gil Corp who I believe was a sno cat dealer on the east coast. I don't think the rear box/bed is original but I will double check with the experts before I cut it off. The plan is to try and restore the cat to as original as possible. I plan on starting with the mechanical stuff, getting it running being the top priority. Need to save up and maybe sell an extra vehicle so I can make some real progress on the cat.

Mr Squirrel, yes I have the br100 with a V8. Sorry but this cat won't be getting a modern V8. I could see upgrading a rubber belted Tucker but not a pontoon machine.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
GlacierSean,

so so so, glad to have you as part of Tucker Mafia, and with being part of the Mafia, we and I have your back and will help in way or fashion in your quest to restore your wonderful 343, you can count on the Mafia...

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Hello Blackfoot Tucker, it is a 1968 343a, serial number 343A-160924. It has a Chrysler 230 flathead, not sure on the transmission. Fiberglass pontoons. It was sold to Ed Gil Corp who I believe was a sno cat dealer on the east coast. I don't think the rear box/bed is original but I will double check with the experts before I cut it off. The plan is to try and restore the cat to as original as possible. I plan on starting with the mechanical stuff, getting it running being the top priority. Need to save up and maybe sell an extra vehicle so I can make some real progress on the cat.

Mr Squirrel, yes I have the br100 with a V8. Sorry but this cat won't be getting a modern V8. I could see upgrading a rubber belted Tucker but not a pontoon machine.

Thanks Sean,

Ed-Gil was the east coast Tucker distributor in Ludlow, VT. (Trivia: Ludlow is also home to the Okemo Ski Area.) When I got my first Tucker, the east coast Tucker distributor was Cook's Equipment in Newport, VT (which is on the Canadian border). Bill Cook sold out and the new owner(s) renamed the company GetSno Equipment.

I had no idea they made the 343 as recently as 1968....

I'm guessing you got it from somewhere out west? Do you know anything of the machine in the intervening years?

I understand about selling a vehicle to help with funding. I'm not proud to admit I have never, (not even once) had a project come in on budget, let alone on time.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
GlacierSean,

so so so, glad to have you as part of Tucker Mafia, and with being part of the Mafia, we and I have your back and will help in way or fashion in your quest to restore your wonderful 343, you can count on the Mafia...

Mmmmmmm, I think PP has it all wrong, see she secretly raises piranha. And sometimes you have to watch your back:yum:how’s that saying go once bitten twice shy. Still have not received my free tee shirt :clap: I guess I’ll have to keep giving your phone number to the telemarketers!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Mmmmmmm, I think PP has it all wrong, see she secretly raises piranha. And sometimes you have to watch your back:yum:how’s that saying go once bitten twice shy. Still have not received my free tee shirt :clap: I guess I’ll have to keep giving your phone number to the telemarketers!

and what size are you and should I ship it to, MN outdoors or give them to gizmo squirrel this weekend...?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
"Mmmmmmm, PP, I guess I’ll keep giving your phone number to the telemarketers!"[/quote from MNoutdoors]

thank you MNoutdoors man,

the telemarketers are the only people that ever call anymore, they are my only contact with the outside world, they are my friends...

Last edited:

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Figured out a few things about this cats history. The Keychain says that it was cat#8 at Gore Mt. ski center, North Creek, NY. To confirm that the key chain was correct I found an 8 underneath the yellow paint on the original orange.
Next is mostly a guess. On the driver's side on the yellow paint you could read "town of ind". I looked at the map and Indian Lake NY is just down the road. And likely who gave it the yellow paint and "town of ind" lettering.
Keychain, I should be a detective.
IMG_20180805_142036_hdr.jpg
The 8
IMG_20180802_183823_hdr.jpg

Finally made some progress on the cat. I bought a gallon of aircraft paint remover, plastic scraper, mask, goggles and gloves. Then got started stripping it down to bare aluminum. Got both side's and doors mostly done. Still need to do the roof, back and engine cover area. Keep getting rained out but should be done soon. I also charged the battery so that I can compression test the engine. Just need to go grab my friends compression tester.
IMG_20180805_141330_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180805_141315_hdr.jpg

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Figured out a few things about this cats history. The Keychain says that it was cat#8 at Gore Mt. ski center, North Creek, NY. To confirm that the key chain was correct I found an 8 underneath the yellow paint on the original orange.
Next is mostly a guess. On the driver's side on the yellow paint you could read "town of ind". I looked at the map and Indian Lake NY is just down the road. And likely who gave it the yellow paint and "town of ind" lettering.

No Sh!#e, I just drove thru there Wednesday on the way to camp and yesterday on the way back. Still a sad 1542 there in town.

Attachments

• North Creek, NY.jpg
    North Creek, NY.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 345

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I have a package for you. hold off on the telemarketer slander. When I was done with my orange beverage I folded your t shirt up nice and put it in a bag.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

It is "Town of Inlet". Come on DAVENET and you right coasters, surely someone remembers it?