• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My personal boycott of STAPLES for being Anti-Gun, Anti-Tobacco, Anti-Alcohol, etc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Staples office supply stores are running a contest. I'm OK with that.

Staples gets an entry from a guy who runs a gun shop.

Staples then denies the entry from the gun shop because Staples lumps LEGAL GUNS into the same category as ILLEGAL DRUGS. Also lumped in with ILLEGAL drugs are tobacco (I smoke the occasional cigar at the cigar lounge) and alcohol (been known to drink an adult beverage).

So if you want a Beer at the Baseball game then STAPLES doesn't like you. If you want to pass out a Cigar when you have a new baby, then STAPLES doesn't like you. And if you own a gun, be it for hunting or personal protection, then STAPLES doesn't like you.

Well, I tend to avoid the places where I am not welcome. :hammer:

LINK TO STORY => http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...es-Lumps-Firearms-Together-With-Illegal-Drugs

Staples is currently conducting a "PUSH It Forward Contest," which awards a $50,000 marketing campaign to the small business that wins it. However, as Maple Creek Gunsmithing in Fremont, Neb. learned--small businesses that sell guns are not allowed to take part in the contest.

As Todd Starnes posted on May 30, after entering Staples' contest, Maple Creek Gunsmithing received the following email:
We're sorry, but your small business entry into the Staples PUSH It Forward Contest has been rejected for the following reason(s): Entry contains content that promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message; is obscene or offensive; or endorses any form of hate or hate group.
Wow. If your business promotes illegal drugs or firearms, Staples doesn't want you to enter their contest.

Does Staples know firearms and illegal drugs are fundamentally different?

Firearms are part of America's heritage and are protected by the Second Amendment while illegal drugs are just that--illegal. Illegal drugs are indicative of deviant behavior while firearms are indicative of the freedom George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and James Madison risked their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor to secure (see Declaration of Independence).

Or think about it this way--whether they realize it or not, Staples is literally barring businesses that are framed around one of the most famous amendments in the Bill of Rights.

What's next? Will Staples begin rejecting contest entries of businesses that exercise free speech (First Amendment) or which stand up for private property (Third and Fourth Amendments)?

Throughout the centuries Americans in uniform have sacrificed their lives in military service to defend the Second Amendment, yet Staples apparently can't see the difference between having a Glock model 19 for self defense and having a meth lab in one's basement for illegal activity. Shame on Staples.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a free country inwhich one isfree to express their views within their business policies.

And one is also free to express such views with their buying dollars.

That said, imagine if Staples were to refuse to do business with a specific religious group. Would the DOJ allow the expression of such Constitutional freedom?:whistling:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
It's just "political correctness" run amok in my opinion. They try to be everything to everybody (Like a stinking politician) and end up pizzin off somebody.

Last edited:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw this when it hit facebook, so I researched it and found that they openly promote their own political agenda, while denying you to participate in their promotions if your agenda differs from theirs. I saw the hypocrisy in this, and sent a note to Staples via the comment link at the top of their website's home page, and received the following reply...

Staples.com <support@orders.staples.com>
May 31 (2 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

We respect your opinion on this issue. Staples values all of our customers and supports small
businesses everywhere. We will take your feedback into account as we design future contests.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your inquiry. I hope you will continue to look to
Staples with confidence and satisfaction for all of your office supply needs.

If you would like to contact one of our representatives, please reply to this email or call us at
the number listed below.

Kim
Customer Service Representative

Exclusive coupons, mystery deals and more! Sign up for Staples emails now!
e-mail: support@orders.staples.com
phone : 1-800-333-3330
fax : 1-800-333-3199
online: http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/help/contact/index.html

email ID:19034059

I told them that I would not be making any personal or business purchases at Staples until they rescinded their discriminatory practices, and this CS rep has the audacity to suggest that I will continue to shop there. My guess is she never completely read my comments which used 975 of the 1000 character limit in the comment box.

I also stopped at the local Staples store and let them know why I would be making my future purchases elsewhere, and why I chose to do so. the manager looked at me like I was from another planet, with that "deer in the headlights" look.

It's important to comment on these company websites or send a letter, as well as showing up on their doorstep to personally let the local store folks why you will not be buying there any more.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
These places never read comments. I saw something by Mayors Against Illegal Guns & wrote (By clicking link & leaving message) them that I TOTALLY am against them & guess what? They asked me for money & now the advertisementents on my screen are for/from(?) them!

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
After the arrogant response from the CS at Staples, I sent the following email response:

(Me)
Jun 2 (1 day ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Staples.com
cleardot.gif

Kim,

Did you even bother to read my original note to you? Why would you suggest that I would "continue to look to Staples with confidence and satisfaction for all of your office supply needs" when I already pointed out your discriminatory practices against legal businesses in this country as my reason to STOP doing business with Staples? How arrogant of you.

I certainly hope Staples can sustain the loses from marginalizing segments of the population who may think differently than Staples, and be assured we shall let all hunters, shooters, and legitimate outdoorsmen know that Staples wants no part of their business. If you deny one of us (Travis Vonseggern and Bill Jackson own Maple Creek Gunsmithing in Fremont, Neb.), you deny all of us.

Sincerely
cleardot.gif

(Signed)

Today, I received this response to that email:

Staples.com
3:02 PM (3 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Joseph, thank you for your feedback.

We heard you! At Staples, we value all of our customers and appreciate your feedback. We now realize the rules of our Push It Forward contest were too restrictive and kept out legitimate businesses. Unfortunately, we can’t change the rules once the contest is underway. But we will revise our rules to make sure future contests are more inclusive and reflect our commitment to helping all small businesses.

If you would like to contact one of our representatives, please reply to this email or call us at the number listed below.

Claudette
Customer Service Representative

Exclusive coupons, mystery deals and more! Sign up for Staples emails now!
e-mail: support@orders.staples.com
phone : 1-800-333-3330
fax : 1-800-333-3199
online: http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/help/contact/index.html

email ID:19042484

Looks like they have received a lot of negative feedback to their exclusion(s), but I will still not spend a nickle at Staples. Does anyone seriously think a gunshop could ever win ANY promotional contest at Staples? I think not. The policy comes from the top, and with that kind of Obama mindset, they would manipulate the results to meet their agenda.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny stuff Jev. I also sent them a message via their "Contact Us" link. Here is the message I received earlier today.

Hi Jim, thank you for your feedback.

We heard you! At Staples, we value all of our customers and appreciate your feedback. We now realize the rules of our Push It Forward contest were too restrictive and kept out legitimate businesses. Unfortunately, we can’t change the rules once the contest is underway. But we will revise our rules to make sure future contests are more inclusive and reflect our commitment to helping all small businesses.

Thank you for this opportunity to respond to your inquiry. I hope you will continue to look to Staples with confidence and satisfaction for all of your office supply needs.

If you would like to contact one of our representatives, please reply to this email or call us at the number listed below.

Matt - Cross Channel Help Desk
Staples Operations Support

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
So having receiving the exact same response from Staples that Jev got, I fired back the following...

Jim said:
You are obviously not allowed to respond without a written script. That's funny. Other people, who I know have written to let you know they are discontinuing future business with Staples, have received the exact (word for word) response.

Who do you fools think you are kidding anyway?

Jim

and received this in return,

Staples said:
Thank you for contacting Staples!

Your question is being routed to a Customer Service Representative and we will do our very best to
respond within 24 hours.

If you require immediate assistance, please contact our Customer Service Department at 800 333 3330
and select option 2 during regular business hours. Representatives are available Monday-Friday 7:00
AM to 11:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time; Saturday 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time and
Sunday, 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
So having receiving the exact same response from Staples that Jev got, I fired back the following...

and received this in return,

That 24 hours is almost up! Keep us informed as this progresses, please.

(Somehow, I doubt you'll really get much of a response; you caught them with their pants down on this one.)

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Won't matter guys, so long as they meet their quarterly sales volumes. The only thing to which retailers react is sales volume.

Check out what happened at Penneys where they eliminated all sales promotions. Three bad quarters into that brilliant move,,,,,they are back to the old formula. It wasn't customer letters and complaints that changed their tactics or their policies.

It was sales volume.

Starbucks gets reams of complaint letters about their policies but sales seem to hold well. So nothing changes in the Boardroom.

So, write your letters and complaints but back it up with you wallet. Tell you friends, get the word out.

I won't shop at Staples because of this thread. Complaint letters alone won't change policy but when sales go down, the BOD will have them as evidence of why.

Last edited: