• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

De-fund NPR

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like they will be fine without the money . . .

NPR CEO Vivian Schiller, October 2010 - "There’s a misperception about federal funding and public radio. There’s the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. They receive $90 million a year and a vast majority goes to member public radio stations. Those stations pull in more than $1 billion collectively a year. It’s significant and important but not even close to the lion’s share of revenues for public radio."

NPR CEO Vivian Schiller, February, 2011 - "The elimination of federal funding would be a significant blow to nearly 900 public radio stations that serve the needs of more than 38 million Americans with free over-the-air programming they can't find anywhere else."

I guarantee you that if Fox News was getting 90 million a year from the taxpayers that the Democrats would be all for cutting them off.

Gotta love the hypocrisy.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In Obama's new budget he actually INCREASED funding to NPR.

That is apparently one of the "touch choices" that we must make as we face the budget, at least it is according to Obama.

mak2

I donate to NPR every year. I read up on this last fund drive, the percentage of donated money is pretty high, I cant remember what it was but I figured they would just have to have fund drives more often if tax money stopped.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have no problem with PBS/NPR but I don't see why taxpayers have to support them. Let them sell commercials, have auctions/fund raisers, ask for donations, etc. I think some of what they produce is great stuff, but there is no reason for government to support them.

mak2

I have no problem donating to keep it going, and I dont think you should be forced to if you dont want to.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have no problem with PBS/NPR but I don't see why taxpayers have to support them. Let them sell commercials, have auctions/fund raisers, ask for donations, etc. I think some of what they produce is great stuff, but there is no reason for government to support them.
They already sell commercials, hold auctions and sales, and ask for donations.

Government need to get out of the media business.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Obama cuts off VOA funding for China; gives it to NPR

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/02/obama_cuts_off_voa_funding_for.html

[FONT=times new roman,times]Meanwhile, back in America, National Public Radio (NPR) sends a valentine to Barack Obama for pouring even more money into their coffers. Byron York writes in the [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]Washington Examiner[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]:[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]As some Republicans on Capitol Hill try to cut, or even eliminate, its government funding, National Public Radio has sent a [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times]public thank-you[/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times] to the Obama administration for proposing an increase in taxpayer funding for public radio.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]"Public broadcasting received a vote of confidence today from the Obama Administration," NPR said in a statement Monday. "The President's FY 2012 budget submission to Congress included $451 million for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) for the two year advance appropriation for FY 2014, an increase of $6 million over FY 2013 funding."[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Vivian Schiller, the head of NPR -- and focus of much controversy over the firing last year of commentator Juan Williams -- released a statement saying she is "grateful to the Obama Administration for recognizing the importance of public radio to the life of communities across the nation."[/FONT]
[FONT=times new roman,times]There have been many valid arguments that NPR does not need taxpayer money-especially in the amounts it receives annually-to fund its operations. There are many other outlets -- the internet, cable, satellite -- that people can access that are funded by charities, foundations, or by subscription fees. NPR is an anachronism in America. But NPR is all but a Democratic propaganda machine that American taxpayers fund. The increase in the NPR budget could almost pay for the shortwave broadcast into China by the Voice of America.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman,times]Barack Obama wants to cut off the Voice of America and give more money and a bigger megaphone to the Voice of NPR.[/FONT]

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
NPR would go under without the gubmit funding. The anointed one has probably deemed them "Too big to fail." They are a joke like MSNBC, CNN ans the other left wing media. Let mak2 and his liberal friends keep them afloat. I would rather give my money to Doc to keep these sites going than to give to that cesspool known as National Pubic Radio.

Trakternut

One of the problems with NPR sucking off the government's tit is the fact that they hold a liberal slant to their newsprogramming. They don't wanna bite the hands that feed 'em.
Left to fend for themselves as other media outlets do, they may be more likely to tell it more straight.......or not.

SShepherd

remember "air america" ?

wow, that was a supreme piece of journalism :yum:

remember, the entitlement group only likes free stuff

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The thing that pisses me off the most about this is that I have listened to Voice Of America, faithfully on my shortwave radio.
Deutsche Welle and some others are more reliable news sources than NPR ever has been.
The only reason I ever tune into NPR is for the music programming they offer..
And those guys on Sunday mornings.. Car Talk?