• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Generator Transfer switch??

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I need one for my new generator . I do not want a automatic one as there will be times the house is vacant and I do not want the power coming on .
I have 12000 watts . Is there a one style/brand that you like over another ??

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
There are several, as I'm sure you know, and each electrician I've spoken with prefers a different brand. :hammer:

I'm going to go with a fully auto switch on a 40k standby generator. I'm even going to do the unthinkable; I'm actually going to hire all the wiring done by an electrician and have it inspected. :eek:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, I've used several Square D manual transfer switches. Built like a tank, never a problem.

Jim

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
There are several, as I'm sure you know, and each electrician I've spoken with prefers a different brand. :hammer:

Now you mention it, Cutler-Hammer makes good stuff too. It's a nice beige, might be prettier in your home than industrial gray! :poke:

Jim

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Al, this has been an ongoing project of mine for a while. I think that I'm going to bite the bullet soon.

The easiest one that I've found is made by "Gen-link". I think that's how you spell it. I think Northern Tool has started carrying them or your utility company may install it. It fits behind and becomes part of your meter and you plug your generator power cord directly in to it. It acts as a transfer switch and stops backfeeding the power lines. You don't need a load center as you use the the breakers in the box in your home to turn circuits off and on. In theory that gives you the option to run everything in your home although you will have to manage the loads. I believe it usually comes with a 30 amp plug-in receptical although it may come with a 50 amp too. Your 12K generator may be a little on the big side for it and it does have compatibility issues with some generators depending on how they are set up.

It's the easiest one that I've found to use that doesn't limit you to the number of circuits that you can power without going the "whole house" route.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
ETF - I believe you're referring to generlink.
http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200379219_200379219

I considered one myself but:
a) they're pricey
b) I'd be constrained to putting my generator near my meter which is a place I'd rather not put it.

You're right on both counts.

It is pricey but you don't need a whole lot of additional wiring and load center to make it work. In my particular circumstances, the meter is located away from the house and within about 30 feet of the natural gas line coming into the house, at the back of my shop. So, in my particular case it's a viable option ... if I ever get round to doing it. Like so many things associated with generators, it all depends on your particular circumstances.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, are you looking to transfer the whole house? Or are you looking to provide power to just certain things that will be in their own sub-panel?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Al if your wanting to be a tight ass like me a cheap way to power up certain critical circuts when you are gone is switch off what you don't need when you are gone how ever 12 k should run your whole house unless you have a mansion

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, are you looking to transfer the whole house? Or are you looking to provide power to just certain things that will be in their own sub-panel?

I plan to power up the whole house . Everything is LPG gas except 1- 220 volt oven that I do not need to use .
We lose power a lot in Idaho on the Ranch ,so I want to do this right .

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I plan to power up the whole house .

OK, that makes it easier, in a way. A few manufacturers make a box that replaces your meter box with a meter box/transfer combination. The Generator can be wired into that and then you flip the switch manually when needed. There are some indoor units that do the same thing.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Or electric heat.

I have a 15KW (22.5 KW peak) and it won't start my heat pump.
yes i forgot the rest of the world uses every thing except fuel oil to heat with electric heat does use a lot of power here once you pay fuel sir chargse it equates to to about 80 cents per kwh i stay away from electric if i can

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Al if your wanting to be a tight ass like me a cheap way to power up certain critical circuts when you are gone is switch off what you don't need when you are gone how ever 12 k should run your whole house unless you have a mansion

Hmm, I don't have a mansion, but two different electricians sized me at a 40k to 50k standby unit if I want to run my whole house. I have a 10k portable and it does well running things plugged into extension cords, but it wouldn't have a hope of starting any of my A/C units let alone all 4 of them.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hmm, I don't have a mansion, but two different electricians sized me at a 40k to 50k standby unit if I want to run my whole house. I have a 10k portable and it does well running things plugged into extension cords, but it wouldn't have a hope of starting any of my A/C units let alone all 4 of them.

I hate to break it to you Dargo, but if you have 4 A/C units . . . you have a mansion. ;)

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate to break it to you Dargo, but if you have 4 A/C units . . . you have a mansion. ;)

But I ain't gots no big columns out front and I am the gardener! Besides, one of the A/C units is for the guest house and I don't have A/C in either barn yet! Besides, I even had a college professor tell me that I was stupid. I can't name him because Bob will know exactly who I am talking about and I will get in trouble posting that in 1984 he proclaimed himself as "wealthy" since he had some sort of tenure and made $30k a year then.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Nope , I don't own a mansion . This house is our smallest one of about 1300 sq. ft . I have almost the whole house on LPG where I can . No AC so thats a huge load we will not need .

If it works out I may set up another separate system up on the Barn/ Shop/Apartment of the same size .

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
A big one, like this. And when you do throw it, you can scream "It's alive!"

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 29

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al I've install a couple of these

homepgKit01.jpg

no extra boxes involved

tom

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is pretty much what I have without the lock. An alternative would be an outdoor rated 200 amp disconnect on the incoming power. Piggy back another breaker in the same box for the generator feed to the house. You can throw a lock on the box.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Well you could get a Frankenstein switch and just do it yourself!

Frankenstein switch Assembly
norm-44b3f251dcee9-Frankenstein+(1931).jpeg

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
But I ain't gots no big columns out front and I am the gardener! Besides, one of the A/C units is for the guest house and I don't have A/C in either barn yet! Besides, I even had a college professor tell me that I was stupid. I can't name him because Bob will know exactly who I am talking about and I will get in trouble posting that in 1984 he proclaimed himself as "wealthy" since he had some sort of tenure and made $30k a year then.

If you have a guest house . . . you have a mansion. :pat:

:poke:

We have a gardener too - he's cheap foreign labour(<-hint) from just across the border. In fact he's also the nanny and handyman too.