• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Home Heating Question

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I keep the temp at around 71 during the day and at 64 at night.
My thermostat has settings for heat-(auto, on or fan).

I've always kept it on auto for heat.
Is this right?
I finally cleaned the furnace part of the system of dust and replaced the filters last night, so it's comfortable in here now.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Auto (for my system at least) means that it will automatically switch from A/C to Heat to maintain the set temperature. I switch to heat for heat and A/C for A/C and have really never used the "auto" mode.

On the recommendation of my heating installer I usually leave the "fan" on during heating and heavy A/C use to keep the air circulating and filtered. I always leave the fan on when running my wood burning fireplace. This will distribute the heat throughout the house.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes on is it. Then it will only come on when it gets below the setting you have it set at.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes on is it. Then it will only come on when it gets below the setting you have it set at.

Just did that, and it kept running far longer than when I had it on auto, so I just set the temp back to 62 and put it back on auto and now I can't hear it running constantly.. the motor on the furnace stopped.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where's Murph, I leave mine in auto too. I'd like to know if it is recommended to leave the fan on continuously?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Just did that, and it kept running far longer than when I had it on auto, so I just set the temp back to 62 and put it back on auto and now I can't hear it running constantly.. the motor on the furnace stopped.

You want to leave it on Auto PG :wink: . On or fan are for when you want it to run constantly & it bypasses the temp setting .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Where's Murph, I leave mine in auto too. I'd like to know if it is recommended to leave the fan on continuously?

Sure if your not paying the electric bill , I cant imagine anyone else recomending leaving the fan on constantly other then the power company or someone that sells the fan motors :biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Most T-stats the on position is for fan only. That will make the fan run independent of where any other switch is set. Auto will allow it to run the fan and the a/c or heat depending on which you select. Auto is fine for most all situations. I run my fan only to equalize temps in all the rooms when we are having bright sunny days as the sun side warms a lot more than the back side of the house. You can post a pic of the T-stat for further clarification but your setup is a typical downdraft Miller furnace is it not?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Most T-stats the on position is for fan only. That will make the fan run independent of where any other switch is set. Auto will allow it to run the fan and the a/c or heat depending on which you select. Auto is fine for most all situations. I run my fan only to equalize temps in all the rooms when we are having bright sunny days as the sun side warms a lot more than the back side of the house. You can post a pic of the T-stat for further clarification but your setup is a typical downdraft Miller furnace is it not?
Correct, Muley. Now, to contradict my esteemed colleague, Cowboy, there is a very good argument for leaving the fan motor running, even when the heat plant or a/c compressor are not running, and that is to prevent stratification throughout the home, particularly in the Summer when temps get very warm. I leave my fan motor running when the a/c is on, and find that my compressor runs significantly less frequently, even on the hottest of days, than when the system is on automatic. I don't consider the electric bill to be any higher than normal summer usage, but I do know that the house is a lot more comfortable both upstairs and downstairs (I have a 2,600 sq. ft. colonial). That being said, I also adjust my heat run dampers at the change of seasons so more of the volume is going UPSTAIRS in the Summer, and the opposite in the Winter. We also run our ceiling fans in reverse in the Winter to circulate the warm air that hugs the ceiling. I don't worry if the electric bill changes $5-$10 if I'm running these motors, because I feel my comfort is worth it. I'm sure I piss away more money than that each month on stupid stuff. Oh, I also have a new, backup furnace blower motor in a box next to the furnace should I need to replace it. I also have a new backup sump pump as well. These are important to me, as both items seem to fail on Sunday afternoon or during the night, both times when you pay a premium for the repairman, and when it's impossible to get parts.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Correct, Muley. Now, to contradict my esteemed colleague, Cowboy, there is a very good argument for leaving the fan motor running, even when the heat plant or a/c compressor are not running, and that is to prevent stratification throughout the home, particularly in the Summer when temps get very warm. I leave my fan motor running when the a/c is on, and find that my compressor runs significantly less frequently, even on the hottest of days, than when the system is on automatic. I don't consider the electric bill to be any higher than normal summer usage, but I do know that the house is a lot more comfortable both upstairs and downstairs (I have a 2,600 sq. ft. colonial). That being said, I also adjust my heat run dampers at the change of seasons so more of the volume is going UPSTAIRS in the Summer, and the opposite in the Winter. We also run our ceiling fans in reverse in the Winter to circulate the warm air that hugs the ceiling. I don't worry if the electric bill changes $5-$10 if I'm running these motors, because I feel my comfort is worth it. I'm sure I piss away more money than that each month on stupid stuff. Oh, I also have a new, backup furnace blower motor in a box next to the furnace should I need to replace it. I also have a new backup sump pump as well. These are important to me, as both items seem to fail on Sunday afternoon or during the night, both times when you pay a premium for the repairman.

Yep , All Great info & well stated Jev . No disagreement from me other then it really depends on the type & size of the house & familys needs .

In your case that makes perfectlly good sense & probably would apply to most folks here that live in larger houses & have more then two occupants . Where in my case its just the wife & I & She,s only home half of the time I rarely run heat or air unless she is home & mainly for her comfort . I prefer fresh air with windows & screen windows open on the front & rear doors . But our house is shaded by big 100 year old trees so cooling in the summers not much of an issue unless its 100 degree outside temps , Winter same thing since we have a fireplace .

Our house is extremely well insulated even being the older part is 100 years old or better it wont get below 40 degrees in the dead of winter with no power if its kept closed up . I know this as a few years ago a bad ice storm I was without power for 7 days & I never even used the fireplace as my wife was on a working cruise in the bahamas & I was home all by my lonesome clearing debree & downed trees & limbs , 40 degrees felt very comfortable to me when I came in for the evenings :biggrin:

Good idea on the backup blower fan & sump pump as well , I also keep a brand new spare water heater in the basement as well . :wink:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
You're a hardy soul, Cowboy. I get out my generator when the power goes out. Call me a sissy city boy, but the older I get the more I like my creature comforts. I can run the entire house off my unit, except the a/c. We use the low amp draw ceiling fans in place of a/c when under generator power.

loboloco

PG, from a photo of your home I believe the Auto setting would serve you better, especially if you have a separate Heat/Cool switch.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Correct, Muley. Now, to contradict my esteemed colleague, Cowboy, there is a very good argument for leaving the fan motor running, even when the heat plant or a/c compressor are not running, and that is to prevent stratification throughout the home, particularly in the Summer when temps get very warm. I leave my fan motor running when the a/c is on, and find that my compressor runs significantly less frequently, even on the hottest of days, than when the system is on automatic. I don't consider the electric bill to be any higher than normal summer usage, but I do know that the house is a lot more comfortable both upstairs and downstairs (I have a 2,600 sq. ft. colonial). That being said, I also adjust my heat run dampers at the change of seasons so more of the volume is going UPSTAIRS in the Summer, and the opposite in the Winter. We also run our ceiling fans in reverse in the Winter to circulate the warm air that hugs the ceiling. I don't worry if the electric bill changes $5-$10 if I'm running these motors, because I feel my comfort is worth it. I'm sure I piss away more money than that each month on stupid stuff. Oh, I also have a new, backup furnace blower motor in a box next to the furnace should I need to replace it. I also have a new backup sump pump as well. These are important to me, as both items seem to fail on Sunday afternoon or during the night, both times when you pay a premium for the repairman, and when it's impossible to get parts.
that's a good idea as a young home ower in anchorage i lost a water heater on thanksgiving and a blower motor on christmas eave good thing i had a buddy who was a plumber he got me the stuff too keep me going other wise i'd have been waiting till the following monday to get repair items.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I leave my fan on all the time (at low speed). I finished the basement and with the fan air blowing, I don't have to run a dehumidifier.

I'm going to throw something out since nobody else mentioned it. I don't think you should be lowering your heat setting so much at night. It's going to take more energy to re-heat it then to have kept it warmer for the duration. I'd maybe lower it to 66 or 67 but nothing lower. If you have electric heat, it's really going to take a hit as your heat-strips kick in to raise the temp back up.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I am so looking forward to my first heating bill.. NOT!

During all that horrible, unrelenting heat we had, the cooling bills killed me.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Mine is a Carrier unit with the variable speed DC motor on the fan. I was told this is an extremely low energy consumer to leave run and it is designed to run continuously for years.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
PG, from a photo of your home I believe the Auto setting would serve you better, especially if you have a separate Heat/Cool switch.
Yep, doesn't take a whole lot to cool or heat my little saltine box, but I just wanted to clarify if I was doing it right this year after having the entire unit replaced for a first winter for heating properly.
The auto setting is doing just fine.:flowers:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I am so looking forward to my first heating bill.. NOT!

During all that horrible, unrelenting heat we had, the cooling bills killed me.
Don't you burn natural gas? They are predicting a 20% increase in gas around here to try to get NY to open up the drilling in the Marcellus shale.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
If it gets too cold, I'll put on a sweater and so will Gretchen.
I'd rather go broke cooling the place than heating it.
I'll be fine.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I guess thermostats are different around the country. Auto means if you set it at 70.. and it falls to 65.. turn the heat on. If it goes to 75, turn on the AC. Now there is also a fan option. That would just run the fan continuously.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
The Auto / On setting is for Your fan only . It won't turn on Your heat ,or AC . The top switch on Your T-stat does that .
I leave mine in the On position for the most part . It seems to help circulate the air better .

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is on Heat/Auto and that's where it's going to stay.
Thank you very much everyone, I appreciate the advice.
We're warm, and it's working just fine. ;)

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Took me long enough, didn't it?
Sometimes I don't know what I'd do without you goons giving me man type advice.
Sure I have outside sources who look after me, but it's nice to have some guidance here every once in a while.
God knows I appreciate second opinions.
:D