• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Monster bug?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Now this a very big bug. Very interesting to me.
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/03/31/2253964.aspx

Monster bug? It's no joke!

Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:34 PM by Alan Boyle

100331-isopod-hmed-1p.hlarge.jpg

Gwynzer / Reddit
A 30-inch-long deep-sea bug? This picture purporting to show a
deep-sea isopod, of the species Bathynomus giganteus, has been
posted to sites such as Reddit and Cruisers Forum.
It may look like a creepy-crawly April Fool's joke - but an expert on deep-sea species says the bizarre giant bug shown in pictures circulating on the Internet is the real deal.
"I've seen the pictures, and they are real, and they really do get that big," Craig McClain, assistant director of science for the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center in North Carolina, told me today.
McClain specializes in deep-sea biological systems and covers the subject on his Weblog, Deep-Sea News. So he was the go-to guy when pictures of the bug, reportedly hauled up aboard a remotely operated vehicle operating near an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, started turning up on Web sites ranging from Reddit to Cruisers Forum.
"It's an isopod," McClain said. "It's like the rolypolys or pillbugs that you find in your garden. It's the same group of animals."
But this deep-sea isopod is no pea-sized rolypoly: The critter grows to a size of 20 inches or more. The bug shown in the pictures that are currently making the rounds is on the "larger size" of the spectrum, measuring 30 inches in length, McClain said. But there are a lot more big bugs out there.
"They're really common in the deep water in the Gulf of Mexico," he said.
That's where this specimen of Bathynomus giganteus was said to have been found. The story has been pieced together over the past few days, from reports bubbling up on the Internet forums: The bug was a hitchhiker that apparently latched onto an ROV operating around Seadrill's West Sirius rig in the Gulf of Mexico, at a depth of about 8,500 feet. One photo taken from the side and another displaying a full-frontal view were posted via Reddit late last week by a member who said he works for "a sub-sea survey company."
McClain said he received the pictures himself from a researcher who has been active in the area. "We're sort of an online clearinghouse for that sort of thing," he said. My efforts to contact McClain's source via e-mail were unsuccessful, however.
The circumstances of the story definitely raised warning flags: It's hard to put your finger on exactly who is providing the images. The shots of the bug don't provide a definitive sense of scale. And April Fool's Day, prime time for Internet pranks, is just around the corner. But McClain told me everything he's seen so far matches up with what he knows about giant isopods.
"It's definitely not an April Fool's joke," McClain said.
I'll take his word on that. And no matter what you think about the latest pictures, Bathynomus giganteus is no joke. The species was discovered and first described more than a century ago by French zoologist Alphonse Milne-Edwards, and the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History has a nice big collection of giant isopods.
One YouTube video shows an isopod walking along the seafloor, and another shows the carnivorous bug vying with eels and crabs to chow down on tunafish.
McClain and his colleagues at Deep-Sea News have frequently written about the bug. Here's a smorgasbord of Web links:

Speaking of smorgasbords, I couldn't help but notice that some sources claim the giant isopods are "something of a delicacy" in Taiwan, where they are boiled and served with rice at oceanside restaurants.
If those reports are true, that would be one thing McClain didn't know about one of his favorite deep-sea monsters. "I've never heard of anybody eating them," he said.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting indeed Joe , Thanks for posting :biggrin:. Kind of reminds me of the size of Our skeeters around here :w00t2:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw that yesterday and thought I'd surprise my wife by showing it to her. She's up on most things 'salt water' since she's had this huge 300 gallon salt water tank in our home for the last 20 years. Ha, the joke was on me. Even though she never reads a newspaper and doesn't watch the news she just said "Oh, that looks like a really large isopod". :sad:

Well, did I feel stupid...

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I would guess they probably taste like lobster, shrimp or crab at least similar. I always wonder about the first person to eat any of those things, they sure must of been hungry is my first thought. I know now I get hungry looking at all of them. I read that the lobster is supposed to be related to a roach. :unsure:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Roaches taste a lot like crickets and nothing like lobsters. JMO

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never knowingly eaten a roach so I can't say how they would compare in taste. I have sure eaten other insects though.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never knowingly eaten a roach so I can't say how they would compare in taste. I have sure eaten other insects though.
I swallowed a bee, I think-- once.
This was before my oldest sons wedding. It got into my bottle of iced tea which was sitting on the patio. Picked it up and took a gulp.. :ohmy:
There were bees swarming around thick that day, so I figured it was the culprite.
Another time when I was a kid, we were at the state fair and a bug flew into my mouth. I screamed. My mother said "out of thousands of people attending the fair today, YOU had to be the one to have a bug fly into your mouth..":yum:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well I actually tried them on a trip through Asia including China. It seems the Asians eat a lot of insects and China sells it as street food. Some of it wasn't too bad, some was disgusting tasting at least to me.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I actually tried them on a trip through Asia including China. It seems the Asians eat a lot of insects and China sells it as street food. Some of it wasn't too bad, some was disgusting tasting at least to me.

:puke1:

bugs.jpg

bugs1.jpg

Seahorses??

seahorse_1.jpg

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep tried them all including the dung beetles and some fried scorpions also. Surprising the the sea horse was among the worse tasting.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Always remember.....somewhere, at some time, someone eats it. And likes it.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't know what they where at the time, but do know once it was explained to me. In my travels I ate pretty much with the locals and only got sick once. It was London, in a pretty well known fish and chips joint. I thought I was going to die for the next 3 days. I will admit though I've eaten foods I'm sure would make a billy goat puke in some of the countries I've been.

SShepherd

I didn't know what they where at the time, but do know once it was explained to me. In my travels I ate pretty much with the locals and only got sick once. It was London, in a pretty well known fish and chips joint. I thought I was going to die for the next 3 days. I will admit though I've eaten foods I'm sure would make a billy goat puke in some of the countries I've been.

English food will do that to ya:yum:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Now that you mention it Shep it did. Kind of like Willie Nelson bus going by. :smile: