• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Making Log railings !!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Talk about a time comsuming project !!!! I have made railings out of just about anything you can think of ,but log railings are the worst .First you need to tramp through the woods looking for some decent standing (Dead) LodgePole pines . About 3 1/2" diameter for the top and bottom rails . Then the stiles need to be about a average of 2" in diameter . You'll need a couple tenon cutters in the size you desire , A draw knife , A 4" grinder with a sanding disc and a hell of a lot of patience . If you can find trees with "Cateyes " They make for a more custom looking railings ."Cateyes" are damaged areas on the tree that have scared over and left imprefections . Not easy to spot in the forest ......
I spent all day getting my logs, peeling them, sanding them, and building them and have exactly 10 feet of railing built !!!!
Its beautiful but what a pain in the butt !!!! Here is an example of what they look like .Sorry about the small picture ..... My railing have the stiles on 12 " centers which makes them look less busy then the 6" centers shown in the picture

Attachments

• railing.jpg
    railing.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 44

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
what tenon cutters did you go with and what do you think of them?
I've been looking at them, but am not convinced I need a $150 pencil sharpener.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
My SIL has a log home, and they're kicking themselves in the butt today for not spending the money to have railings like yours installed on their 80+ feet of wrap-around porch. Instead, they went with dimensional lumber, and it just doesn't look right. Kudos to you for spending the extra time. It's an investment in the property, IMO.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Could you please post a smaller picture Al .................... :unsure:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
what tenon cutters did you go with and what do you think of them?
I've been looking at them, but am not convinced I need a $150 pencil sharpener.

I like mine . I'll have to get the brand for you . It takes a 1/2 drive drill to get the job done . You are right .... they cost about $400 bucks for the cutters .

They sure make a log home or Board and Batt sided home look finished . On the main house I routered a 3/4"x3/4" notch under the bottom rail and inserted rope lighting . It gives a very nice glow at night on the deck . Actually the rail is costing me nothing but my time ,so I guess I should not bitch too much...:brows:I have lots of trees on the place to chose from .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK BD .... I know the picture was small so I went and found one of my pictures of my deck railings on the main house . Hope this is better .:smile:.... Sorry man ,,, I am on my laptop and thats the best I can do .

Attachments

• my railing.jpg
    my railing.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 23