• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Throwing snow on the Grand Mesa

KT3survivor

today we finally hit the snow in the kt3. everything ran great! got it thru all the gears. my cheapo tracks are holding up. just glad it went so well.

we are pretty new to this so im heeding some recent advice about not bieng a jeremy clarkson :brows: not out powder bogging or climing crazy hills yet. loading on a kristi tilt trailer is plenty of excitement for now.

luvthemvws

Congratulations! I am sooo jealous!
So; does it have enough power? Are there any hydraulic leaks? Does it feel nose-heavy? (Mine does).

KT3survivor

honestly it has enough low gears that power wont really be an issue. the way it climbs the trailer at a +45º with little to no throttle says it all. no hydraulic leaks and the system seems to stay pumped up just fine. the only time i notice the nose weight is loading and towing. feels pretty balanced on the snow.
it needs a throttle cable and a fine tune before vail. eventually id love to get that trailer lower to the ground.

KT3survivor

i didnt notice any flexing but looking at what little frame they have, i think adding some cross bracing and a few extra floor supports is a good idea. it could happen next summer if we split the body and frame.

the exhaust stacks are known for cracking at the flange and i can see why. might add more exhaust bracing near the top.

nikos

....in the way to the top of the Hill

KT3 Survival. Congratulations. :w00t2::clap::w00t2::clap::w00t2::clap:

Nikos

Attachments

• Jeremy-Clarkson - Αντίγραφο.jpg
    Jeremy-Clarkson - Αντίγραφο.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 351

Sno-Surfer

I'll be darned, it looks like we have a live one here!! I think this is the first I've seen actually get tested in snow. Congratulations, there should be a prize for you. :biggrin::wow:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll be darned, it looks like we have a live one here!! I think this is the first I've seen actually get tested in snow. Congratulations, there should be a prize for you. :biggrin::wow:

Tow strap award? :brows:
Good to see one moving, congratulations

KT3survivor

haha thats great. thanks guys. I think we are all a little clarkson at heart. my wife took a couple videos so i'll have to get those up here eventually.

KT3survivor

Where are you located in Western CO? Grand Mesa is really close to where we hang out and are planning on moving to.

we are in grand junction. it would be cool to get a few cats together up there. . . lots of room. i have noticed a few other FF users that are in the area but they dont post much.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is there a winter use width restriction on the groomed trails on the Mesa? I thought I read something to that effect on the gate when I was there in the summer.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi KT3 I will be up on the Mesa this Sunday running my cat around. You are welcome to join us . We usually head out towards Lands End and hit Grand Mesa Lodge. Let me know if you want to hook up..Tom

KT3survivor

Is there a winter use width restriction on the groomed trails on the Mesa? I thought I read something to that effect on the gate when I was there in the summer.

the only width restrictions i know of are for summer OHV trails. snowcats seem to be treated the same as snowmobiles in colorado where over the snow travel is alot less restricted. I couldnt find any snowcat or width restrictions on the USFS website.

KT3survivor

Hi KT3 I will be up on the Mesa this Sunday running my cat around. You are welcome to join us . We usually head out towards Lands End and hit Grand Mesa Lodge. Let me know if you want to hook up..Tom

hey cool! it would be great to get up there again. ill see what we have going on this weekend and get back to you. :letitsnow:

PJL

I was driving up a snow covered road once when Jeep came at me and refused to move over. Given the speed I had at the time the only option was to dive into the ditch. The Quattro powered through and back onto the road. Jeep driver's eyes as big as saucers. It didn't have much for ground clearance though.

Years ago on I-84 headed into Boise there was several inches of snow on the road and everyone was inching along in the right lane. Left lane wide open. Well that's BS. I locked the diffs and drove the speed limit in fresh powder. Every so often a 4X4 would pull in behind me and and try to keep up.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Last edited:

KT3survivor

I was driving up a snow covered road once when Jeep came at me and refused to move over. Given the speed I had at the time the only option was to dive into the ditch. The Quattro powered through and back onto the road. Jeep driver's eye big as saucers. It didn't have much for ground clearance though.

Years ago on I-84 headed into Boise there was several inches of snow on the road and everyone was inching along in the right lane. Left lane wide open. Well that's BS. I locked the diffs and drove the speed limit in fresh powder. Every so often a 4X4 would pull in behind me and and try to keep up.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

this rules. i will add:
one heavy snow night i was crossing hoosier pass near breckenridge. on a tight hairpin my front wheels broke loose aiming me straight for the car in the oncoming lane. brakes did nothing, steering was useless. last ditch effort i mashed the gas. all four dug in, grabbed something and pulled me back into my lane. co-workers in the car were shitting themselves as was I. the quattro was still on summer tires at the time :mrgreen: