• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

5 Facts on Hickory, the Westminster Dog Show 2011 Winner

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What a beautiful dog.:smile:
--------------------------------------
America's top dog has been chosen.

A Scottish deerhound named Hickory claimed the award for best in show Tuesday night at the 2011 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.

The prize pooch -- full name Grand Champion Foxcliffe Hickory Wind -- bested nearly 2,600 canines over the two-day event to claim the coveted purple-and-gold ribbon and silver bowl.

Surge Desk offers five facts about Hickory, Westminster's newest champion.

1. She's an inspiration to all Scottish deerhounds
Hickory's best in show victory was a major upset by historical standards, marking the first time that any Scottish deerhound has claimed Westminster's top prize.

2. Madison Square Garden is a long way from home
The bright lights of New York City and "The World's Most Famous Arena" are drastically different from the 50-acre farm in Virginia where Hickory is accustomed to chasing deer and rabbits.

3. She's a diva
According to handler Angela Lloyd, Hickory cherishes the spotlight and is "constantly making sure she's getting attention."

4. She's in for some high-end dog treats
She may not have the verbal skills to announce she's taking a trip to Disneyland, but Hickory will be treated to a steak at the renowned Sardi's restaurant in New York City and take a ride to the top of the Empire State Building.

5. She topped some ruff competition
The Westminster dog show is no walk in the park, even for top-tier hounds like Hickory. Check out this video for a look at some of the competition:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/16/scottish-deerhound-5-facts-on-hickory-the-westminster-dog-show/

thewinnersx-large.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I love those dogs. They are absolutely beautiful animals both in appearance and temperament.

My son in Scotland has had two of them. They're an absolutely useless watch dog and an even worse guard dog. They are so laid back and calm inside the house they are basically a rug that you have to step over all the time. I have so many great memories of those dogs and my grandkids growing up together. Having said that, let them loose in the open and they are gone in an instant unless they are really, really well trained. They are fast, very fast and can clear a 6 foot fence with ease.