• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A tax break for pet owners?

working woman

Site Supporter
p-61YFdB4e9hBRs.gif

A Tax Break for Pet Owners
Animal shelters across the country have reported a sharp surge in abandoned animals, many cut loose by owners who can no longer afford to care for them. Now, Rep. Thaddeus McCotter (R., Mich.) has introduced a bill that would use the federal tax code to help.

The Humanity and Pets Partnered Through the Years (HAPPY) Act would allow pet owners to deduct the cost of food, veterinary care, and other pet-related expenses from their income taxes—up to $3500 per year. McCotter says the bill would provide tax relief for pet owners while at the same time strengthening “the human-animal bond.”

Leo Grillo, an animal-rights activist, says a tax break for the 60% of Americans who own pets will help keep pets in the home, where they contribute to the emotional well-being of families. “If Americans are happy and emotionally stable, they are going to be more productive, and that helps the economy,” he says, adding that the bill also could ease the cost of local animal-control services.

William Ahern, director of policy and communications at the Tax Foundation, says the tax code should not be used to make people “happy.” He adds, “It’s just another snowflake in the blizzard of unjustifiable tax deductions, exemptions, and credits that congressmen propose to curry favor with a particular group of voters.”

J. Scott Orr

:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't imagine any emotionally stable families giving up their pet due to financial hardships. You find other ways to cut back. I do not doubt that some use that as their excuse for abandoning an animal.
Seems like a way for another elected official to get his name out there as a way to save us money, when in the end I doubt it would even do that. Less government is the answer to all of us being able to keep more of our money.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't imagine any emotionally stable families giving up their pet due to financial hardships.
Yea, why get rid of them? Many taste very good. Now, before everyone snaps at me, consider the abuse of this type of plan. How are they going to define a "pet"? Cat and dog only? Won't they want to cater to those with exotic pets (which they can claim are harder to handle at an animal shelter so they don't want those turned in or released in the wild)? Fish, horse, pet pig??? I have friends with cows that are darn near pets. They're still going in the freezer eventually but I wonder if they can be claimed as pets.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Finally, some relief for the up-keep of my pet rock! That $3500 will go along way toward covering the costs of my lapidary supplies. :thumb:

Oh, his name is Norman. He loves rolling down hills and long skips across ponds. He's not very well trained; though he knows how to 'stay', I can never get him to come when called. :smileywac

come on now, you knew it was coming :rolleyes:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I just killed both my cows but have a boatload of other pets. Shame I don't need the tax deduction any more.