• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Finished planting corn and soybeans today!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Finally done, but next week we start to spray corn...Then soybeans. So the work is far from done. Nor is the expences..

For corn we planted aproximately 32,000,000 seeds

For soybeans 140,000,000 seeds.

Hopefully we end up with 98% of these as productive plants at harvest....

Rarely do I look at totals this way, but it is intersting to look at it as total plants.. That's alot of plants!!:smile:

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Finally done, but next week we start to spray corn...Then soybeans. So the work is far from done. Nor is the expences..

For corn we planted aproximately 32,000,000 seeds

For soybeans 140,000,000 seeds.

Hopefully we end up with 98% of these as productive plants at harvest....

Rarely do I look at totals this way, but it is intersting to look at it as total plants.. That's a lot of plants!!:smile:

Regards, Kirk

Thats 2,020 miles of soybeans and 8,838 miles of corn.
When and how did ja count all dem seeds thare pal? That's a mouth full.

I planted beans a few weeks ago. Some one hundred seeds. (25 feet) And yes, I did count them as each left my fingers into a small trench.

24 mater plants, 4 peppers, cukes and some zuchinni.

I'd plant corn but we have coons here that always pick the ears one day before they are ready.

Last edited:

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thats a sizable investment in just seed..muchless chemicals to spray with,,:wow::w00t2:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Some guys got their corn started in the middle of April and it is up already. Others are still planting now and beans will be next here also. My rye and peas are up about 5-6 inches and the clover is about 1 inch where it is coming. Sure hope the rest of the clover is just being slow. Dang cold weather is coming back for a few days also. Frost warnings for next 2 nights.:hammer:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc,

Pretty easy, really. Used to be a bag was 56lbs for corn and contained how ever many seeds there were in that variety per lb. Now it is 80,000 kernels per bag. For soy it is now 140,000 per bag. Bags/units X seeds per bag

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some guys got their corn started in the middle of April and it is up already. Others are still planting now and beans will be next here also. My rye and peas are up about 5-6 inches and the clover is about 1 inch where it is coming. Sure hope the rest of the clover is just being slow. Dang cold weather is coming back for a few days also. Frost warnings for next 2 nights.:hammer:

Most of the corn is in the 4-6 leaf stage at about 5-7" tall. A frost now would kill it deader than a makerel, as the growing pint is above ground. The soybeans are not up yet, so no problem with them. How are you for moistier? We are really starting to need a rain. There were a lot of giant dust devils toay, some 30 ft across and hundred feet high for some reason. You can really see the colums of dust in the air for miles. The old timers say this is not a good omen either...

Regards, Kirk

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We are not wet but it is enough for now. The wind has been the big headache as it dries the surface moisture right up. They have not lifted the burn ban yet since every shower we get seems to be followed by more wind. I hope to till the garden again tomorrow before we put the ground cloth down. What little I dug by hand was damp but not wet. I barely left tire tracks cleaning manure out of the barnyard so it ain't sloppy.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a lot of seeds Kirk. How many acres did you plant?

We're getting the rain for you Bill. Last couple days it's been enough where I can't get into the garden.
Peas, beans, radish, carrots and onions are all in and growing nicely. Was hoping to get the tomatoes and peppers in today but it rained.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
bc,

1,000 of each...But I farm another 500 for a neighbor I farm for on a custom basis, and his is not included. So really the toatal we did was 25% more of each crop.

Regards, Kirk

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Not to familiar with corn even though I grew up in South Florida which grows a lot of sweet corn. Now I am more familiar with soy beans, milo (a hi breed corn used for livestock feed) and rice as I worked on a buddies farm in Louisiana for a year. I trained horse to walk in rice fields checking levies. It takes a pretty dumb animal to do that as only 1 in 10 would do it. After that year I never want to ever work on a farm again regardless but do know a little about how it works.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not to familiar with corn even though I grew up in South Florida which grows a lot of sweet corn. Now I am more familiar with soy beans, milo (a hi breed corn used for livestock feed) and rice as I worked on a buddies farm in Louisiana for a year. I trained horse to walk in rice fields checking levies. It takes a pretty dumb animal to do that as only 1 in 10 would do it. After that year I never want to ever work on a farm again regardless but do know a little about how it works.

Joec,

The corn we raise isn't sweet corn, it's No. 1 or No. 2 yellow Dent corn, like livestock eat. But is also in food as well. The market I like here is for Food Grade for human consumption. It goes to a so called dry mill where the kernals are mechnically seperated in to corn germ, corn flour and gritts of different sizes. Lots of the brewers gritts ends up in St Louis in Bush beer. The non gentically modified Soybeans I grow are going to the West Coast to be made into Soy milk and Tofu....

So one could say I help feed alot of folks, and also get them buzzed too!:whistling:
Regards, Kirk

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
My grandparents had a farm in Virginia when I was a boy. Their main thing was dairy cattle but share cropped out for tobacco, potatoes, corn, wheat and several types of beans. We used to spend our summers there up until I had my face crushed on the tractor at 12 years old. Only went back for a few months before coming home to Miami Florida never to return.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My grandparents had a farm in Virginia when I was a boy. Their main thing was dairy cattle but share cropped out for tobacco, potatoes, corn, wheat and several types of beans. We used to spend our summers there up until I had my face crushed on the tractor at 12 years old. Only went back for a few months before coming home to Miami Florida never to return.

Perhaps you don't care to talk about it Joe, but may I ask what happened in your accident? The face isn't traditionally the thing that gets hurt, hands fingers and feet come to mind. In the old days of the mounted on a tractor corn picker the operator was actually sittin inbetween the husking rolls. Many old guys of my youth had fingers gone from trying to clear plug ups on those rollers....They ate fingers like candy...Unless you stopped and shut the machine down, like you should.

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I loved my summers spent on the grandparent's farm.
Not far fromyou Kirk in kahoka MO.

Spent a lot of teen years working an organic truck farm across town in Ferguson MO.
Crack O' dawn back breakin' work that made you feel satisfied at the end of the day. You had done sumptin' useful.

Farmin' is dangerous work. But then it does cull the genetic herd. Only takes a second to happe4n.

There are lots of dumb farmers and lots of old farmers but there ain't too many old dumb ones. Ask any old timer sittin' on a farm porch, he'll agree.:whistling:

My hat is off to anybody that get's up with the land and animals, every friggin day, and makes sumptin' out of it.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gee Franc,

You had better stop that kind of talk...

I am getting a warm fuzzy feeling inside:smile:...

Next time I am down there or your up this way, lets have that bowl of pasta you once mentioned...I've not forgotten.:smile:..

Later, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Gee Franc,

You had better stop that kind of talk...

I am getting a warm fuzzy feeling inside:smile:...

Next time I am down there or your up this way, lets have that bowl of pasta you once mentioned...I've not forgotten.:smile:..

Later, Kirk

Deal.

I don't get up to Des Moines like I used to. My brother-in-law had a 14 acre horse place in Indianola near Liberty Center. But he got old and lazy so he moved to a townhouse in Altoona

I miss sleeping in the barn.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of the corn is in the 4-6 leaf stage at about 5-7" tall. A frost now would kill it deader than a makerel, as the growing pint is above ground. The soybeans are not up yet, so no problem with them. How are you for moistier? We are really starting to need a rain. There were a lot of giant dust devils toay, some 30 ft across and hundred feet high for some reason. You can really see the colums of dust in the air for miles. The old timers say this is not a good omen either...

Regards, Kirk
Thats the way its starting to get here too Kirk, the year started off far better then last year for moisture, but its getting awfully dry now with high winds and no rain in the forcast for the near future. I sure hope its not going to be a repeat from last year with the drought situation, as our ground water has still not recovered from last year. :unsure:

Just curious how the wheats looking there? I wont be surprised if the harvest dont start here within the next two weeks, depending on the weather of coarse, but their predicting a record harvest this year in our area. :smile:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboy,

There may be a field or two of organic wheat in my county, but I would hard pressed to find them for you, without some phone calls. It isn't customarily grow in my area...

But I have an aquantance here who grows wheat grass...Baby wheat, that is harvested as a grass without grain. It is dehydrated and ran through a pelletizer, in this case the pellets are pill shaped. Seems to be the rage with the yuppies...

I once had a wheat grass shot at a health food store...4" wheat cut with a scissors and ran through a juicer. Now, I think I know what the stuff that sticks to the bottom of the mower deck tastes like..:puking:

Regards, Kirk

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboy,

There may be a field or two of organic wheat in my county, but I would hard pressed to find them for you, without some phone calls. It isn't customarily grow in my area...

But I have an aquantance here who grows wheat grass...Baby wheat, that is harvested as a grass without grain. It is dehydrated and ran through a pelletizer, in this case the pellets are pill shaped. Seems to be the rage with the yuppies...

I once had a wheat grass shot at a health food store...4" wheat cut with a scissors and ran through a juicer. Now, I think I know what the stuff that sticks to the bottom of the mower deck tastes like..:puking:

Regards, Kirk
Learn something new everyday, i wasn't aware wheat wasn't grown up your way Kirk. :wink:

That wheat grass sounds wonderfull though. :yuk: I'm glad someone is keeping the yuppies nourished. :yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I prefer to let the steers process my grass for me.:whistling: That stuff sounds worse than some of the things I veto planting in my garden. Sure not ready to harvest anything but rye for silage up here. Had some frost again this morning but hopefully not a killing one. Soon as the sun got out it melted. We were at 34 F around 5 am.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Perhaps you don't care to talk about it Joe, but may I ask what happened in your accident? The face isn't traditionally the thing that gets hurt, hands fingers and feet come to mind. In the old days of the mounted on a tractor corn picker the operator was actually sittin inbetween the husking rolls. Many old guys of my youth had fingers gone from trying to clear plug ups on those rollers....They ate fingers like candy...Unless you stopped and shut the machine down, like you should.

Regards, Kirk

Nope not a problem at all Kirk. 4 kids oldest driving age 17 and youngest 10 on a farm tractor, red clay road on a mountain side in the rain. We went off the side, it landed on my face crushing everything from my eye brows to my lower jaw, it was my 12th birthday that day also. Had to walk two miles to get help, then ride the 40 miles to the closest local hospital where the others had minor injuries. However they told my mother little hope of me living and did it in front of me. The only hope was getting me to Duke University Hospital quickly which they did in a 90 mile ambulance trip. Well needless to say I survived however not without a price.

Completely blind for 18 months regaining sight in right eye and losing left eye completely. Over 400 operations in 3 1/2 years rebuilding my jaws, nose and cheek bones. This including residence in Duke for 2 full years before being allowed to return to Miami where other doctors did a couple more surgery on me till I said no more a few months before getting married.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Had some frost again this morning but hopefully not a killing one. Soon as the sun got out it melted. We were at 34 F around 5 am.
Frost here this morning as well. Pretty heavy on elevated areas (roof, vehicle...).
Luckily, rain the past 2 days stopped me from getting in the garden and planting the tomatoes and peppers. Put the flats in the building last night so they were saved yet again.