• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Another snow machine

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is actually the machine that replaced the Snow Trac. Tommo & Ice Queen will probably know a lot more about this than I do, but the Volvo 202 (Haglands?) was used by the British Commandos in the Norwegian mountains, I believe under the auspices of NATO for both patrols and for SAR operations. The Snow Trac was initially used as it was heliportable, but the technology of the Volvo made it a superior vehicle as it was capable of fording deeper water, had more carrying capacity, etc. The 202 was, I think, the first version adopted after the Snow Trac, it has been replaced by more advanced versions.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep ! that is a serious snow machine . A BV202 ! I looked at importing one from overseas . OUCH!!! The machine was only $6500 which I thought was a great deal .Shipping was a whole nother matter !!!! I think those things carry like 9 people . Since we only have 2 Kristi Klub members , mine will do for now .

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
That is a BV 202. I use to have here the BV206 which had a 5 cylinder diesel engine (mercedes) The BV 202 is amphibious as is the BV206. The BV 202 and 206 are all terrain vehicles. They steer by a center hydraulic ram that moves the two pods one way or the other. I found that when they were shipped from Europe that they removed all the drain plugs. SO if you get one make sure the plugs are placed in the holes! My brother now has the BV 206. They are just to heavy for any real deep snow. The tracks are about 2K each and are all rubber. We had ice cleats you could bolt on but that turned out to take a full day it seemed. The BV206 If I recall correctly tipped the scales at just a bit over 10,000 lbs but not for sure. If anything it was heavier but not by much. My brother is currently working on a deal to sell the BV206. Hope he does as I can always use some money. The biggest problem with the BV206 was that you had to lift the engine to drain the oil and change the oil filter. I had swithched to Amsoil to avoid doing this more than once a year! I still have a manual somewhere around here if someone wants it.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Lots of info on the BV202 on the net. I had no idea there were that many tracked snow vehicles.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
A friend of mine has one of these Volvos and he started the 'track bug' that we seem to have got (my daughter and her husband have a Samson). Graham with the snowcat (Volvo) tows it around on a large trailer behind his AEC Militant Mk3. He and I travel together to rallies quite often, usually with me following him driving my Foden FH 70 Gun tractor with my military trailer. He is slower than me so I follow him to let him set the speed, but when he comes to a hill .........ugh (at least 3 gears later) I have plenty of time to admire the back of the snowcat! We have great fun in the snowcat, doing off road and climbing things to see if it will etc., it goes to The Great Dorset Steam Fair every year as Graham is section leader of the Commercial Heavy Haulage section, of which I too am a member. I will see if I can find some photos for you, but will probably have to post them in the photo gallery as that seems to be the only way I can post photos!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow Ice Queen, those are some huge machines.
I missed your introduction. Where are you located?

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Ohio, I live in Wales, UK - someone has to - no snow here, only rain. I travel around in the rally season, mainly to England, but it gets rather expensive with the Foden (probably does about 6 miles to the gallon-diesel), to go to Kent to the War and Peace Show and Dorset. Both of these rallies are a long way for me and I would like to do different ones too, hence getting the snowtrac so I can trailer it. I have a Willys Jeep, but had a few problems with that last year, so it may not stay with me, will give it one more season and then decide! I have found some pictures of Graham's snowtrac, but don't know how to post them. Bob, if you read this, can you advise, please? I am very much a novice with the computer, more at home with vehicles!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ice Queen said:
Bob, if you read this, can you advise, please? I am very much a novice with the computer, more at home with vehicles!!
You can email them to me via regular email and I can re-size them so they will fit. I'll email them back to you with instructions on how to post them. :thumb:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you Bob for the pics resized. Will now have another go at posting them, computer expert at my side!!! These are pictures of Graham's snowcat.

Attachments

• 1Bromyard-Gala-011.jpg
    1Bromyard-Gala-011.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 307
  • 1Bromyard-Gala-012.jpg
    1Bromyard-Gala-012.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 306
  • 1DSCF0110.jpg
    1DSCF0110.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 310

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
A couple more photos of the snowcat. The lady in the first two pictures is a friend of mine, who had hip operations, and stayed with me for a few weeks while she was getting better - I dragged her to a couple of rallies!! The flag, if it is showing, is the flag of Nova Scotia, we took the photos to send to her sister in Canada, hence the flag!

Attachments

• 1DSCF0114.jpg
    1DSCF0114.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 303
  • 1DSCF0131.jpg
    1DSCF0131.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 306

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anita, what is the length overall of one of those Volvo 202's? How about the width? Weight? How are they in the snow? Those didn't have a long service life before they were replaced by an improved unit, what year is it and when were they in service?

TorNorway

I can check a little bit for information her in norway about these volvos, we have a lot of information from the Norwegian Army, the have used these up until just a few years ago, they are now replaced with 206`s.

There is an junkyard selling 202`s and parts just 15 kilometers form where i live.

Tor

TorNorway

Volvo BM BV202 is an et amphibious chassis controlled beltdriven offroadvehicle produced by Volvos daughter company AB Bolinder-Munktel in Arvika. BV202 have most it`s components from Volvo. Power form the engine is distrubiuted via 2 gearboxes. The Beltene is made out of rubber and reinforced with steel. This vehicle is chassis controlled with hydraulic cylinders between frontwagon and back wagon these two wagons can not be taken apart an driven alone. Production startet in1962. Volvo BM BV202 has been in millitary use in Sweden, Norway (–2000?), Nederlands, Canada and UK (1962–1982).

Technical data on the Norwegian BV202`s

BV202N

BV202NF1

Felles
Motor:

Volvo B18B

Volvo B20B

CC:

1,781 Liters

1,986 Liters

Compresson:

8,7:1
Effect:

82,5 hk (60,7 kW) v/5300RPM

97 hk (71,4 kW) v/5300 RPM

Carburettor

To stk. SU-HS6

To stk. SU-HS6 (modified)

Torc:

128 Nm v/3500 o/min.

145 Nm v/3500 o/min.

Electrical:

24 volt
Maingearbox:

Volvo M400

ZF S4-18/3

Extragearboc:

Volvo G5

Volvo G5 (modified)

Drivakslinger:

Salisbury 5 HA
Steering:

Mecanical with hydraulic servo

Hydrostatic

Crew:

Driver and co-driver in front 8 passenger back
Length:

6175 med mer
With:

1760 mm
Height:

2210 mm
Groundclerance:

280 mm
Weigth:

3200 kg
Load:

1000 kg Onroad 800kg Offroad +800kg trailer
Heat in backwagon:

None

Eberspächer B4L-24V (4300 W)

Speed:

39 Km/t
Fueltank:

2x78 Liter
Range:

ca. 200 – 300km

(Translated from Norwegian, maybe some typing errors)

Tor