• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mitch McConnell finally does something useful in the Senate

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I can see, the Democratic party has been running both the Senate and the House, mostly by using fear mongering and the media to make the GOP capitulate to the demands of the minority Democrats. And House Speaker Ryan is just as gutless as Senate President McConnell, both lost their balls years ago and neither supports either the American will nor do they support President Trump.

But apparently McConnell has reclaimed at least 1 testicle from his wife's purse and has figured out how to make it useful. He is pushing forward on Trump's judicial nominees. Hard to believe, but its actually happening. McConnell has done something that makes sense and will advance a conservative agenda.

It looks like Trump may actually get some (many/most) of his conservative judge nominees approved!

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2017/10/11/mcdonnell-blue-slips-n2393579

McConnell Changes Rule to Overcome Obstruction of Trump's Judicial Picks, Dems Fume

This may seem like an abstruse parliamentary maneuver -- and it is -- but Mitch McConnell just escalated the judicial wars in a minor but meaningful way. If frustrated conservatives want the GOP Senate majority to "start acting like one," McConnell's decision eliminates a lever Democrats have been using to stymie some of President Trump's judicial picks. In that sense, he's very much acting like a majority leader; a Democratic one. Try not to let your eyes glaze over as you read the details of this move, which involves dramatically reducing the power of so-called "blue slips" on judges, with which Senators from the home state of a presidential selection have been able to withhold their consent in order to prevent that nomination from moving forward. Not anymore. McConnell warned Democrats that he was leaning this direction last month, hoping they'd abandon this form of partisan blockade. They didn't. So he's followed through on his threat -- via the Weekly Standard:

- Confirming judicial nominees has been elevated to a top priority in the Senate. “I decide the priority,” McConnell said in an interview. “Priority between an assistant secretary of State and a conservative court judge—it’s not a hard choice to make.” And when nominees “come out of committee, I guarantee they will be dealt with,” McConnell said. “Regardless of what tactics are used by Democrats, the judges are going to be confirmed.”

- No longer will “blue slips” be allowed to deny a nominee a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing and vote on confirmation. In the past, senators have sometimes barred a nominee from their state by refusing to return their slip to the committee, thus preventing a hearing and confirmation. “The majority”—that is, Republicans—will treat a blue slip “as simply notification of how you’re going to vote, not as an opportunity to blackball,” McConnell told me. The use of blue slips, he noted, is not a Senate rule and has “been honored in the breach over the years.” Now it won’t be honored at all.

- The so-called “30 hours rule”—which provides for 30 hours of debate on a nominee—won’t be overturned. But McConnell vowed to set aside time for these debates. And he can make this happen because he sets the Senate schedule.

- Since Trump was inaugurated, judicial vacancies have grown from 106 to 149. Upcoming resignations will boost the number of vacancies to 166. The possibility of losing control of the Senate in 2018 has added to the concern among Republicans about the losing the chance to maximize the conservative influence in the federal courts. This, McConnell said, “is another reason to more quickly.”

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I can see, the Democratic party has been running both the Senate and the House, mostly by using fear mongering and the media to make the GOP capitulate to the demands of the minority Democrats. And House Speaker Ryan is just as gutless as Senate President McConnell, both lost their balls years ago and neither supports either the American will nor do they support President Trump.

But apparently McConnell has reclaimed at least 1 testicle from his wife's purse and has figured out how to make it useful. He is pushing forward on Trump's judicial nominees. Hard to believe, but its actually happening. McConnell has done something that makes sense and will advance a conservative agenda.

It looks like Trump may actually get some (many/most) of his conservative judge nominees approved!

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2017/10/11/mcdonnell-blue-slips-n2393579

When I first read the title, I thought maybe "useful" meant he resigned.

But for now,,,; this'll do.

rugerman

I was hopeful that he had found a way to put Mccain on the road due to his negative actions on just about anything that Trump has tried to accomplish. I can dream!