• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Exercise in futility

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
This is all stupid.
If I'm filling twelve buckets of water I'm using a freaking pump with a two hundred foot head
and a hundred gallons a minute.
I want to be certain.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Someone must have been listening when we talked about what the water pressure might be. Here is a third puzzle. Drip drip drip ....

The tank F will fill up first. D, E & G will never fill up because the input pipe for D is blocked. So C will start filling J. I will only start filling up if & when J fills up, before which L will start filling up. The water from L flows into pipes leading to F & H, but H won’t fill up because it’s input pipe is blocked. Therefore F tank will fill up first.

Attachments

• WhichWillFillFirst3.jpg
    WhichWillFillFirst3.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 73

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In this particular puzzle the answer was supplied. PM me and I'll share. :D
later I'll post for all.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
in Einstein's version it has to be "L"
I dis- agree

A will fill B will fill C which will fill J because it can't fill D
J will flow to L before it gives any water to I if at all
L will have to fill F

H will stay dry along with D and E

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I dis- agree

A will fill B will fill C which will fill J because it can't fill D
J will flow to L before it gives any water to I if at all
L will have to fill F

H will stay dry along with D and E

How can the weight of the water from L be enough to to provide pressure to fill F ?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
How can the weight of the water from L be enough to to provide pressure to fill F ?

Because the inlet pipe of L is the same height as the top of F

Fluid in gravity always seeks equilibrium. Water, in this case, will be flowing into L via gravity at enough rate to overcome surface tension when F hit's the brim. Even if it is only a drip coming out of the faucet.. So, no pressure or high flow needed and nothing goes anywhere else. Unless the flow from the faucet exceeds the capacity of the outflow pipe of A.

The pipe from C to J is the same diameter of the outlet pipe from J to L. So I will never fill.

For the record, these puzzles are not science or engineering but mental exercises DESIGNED to improve memory. As a result, my observations have created a headache. I'm 70 YEARS OLD. Doc, I beg you,,,; PLEASE STOP!:w00t2:

Last edited: