• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

752 miles on 1 tank of fuel yesterday

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I didn't actually drive all 752 miles. But apparently I could have.

Audi A6 TDI 3.0L diesel engine, full time Quattro 4wd system, 475 foot pounds of torque, 375-ish horsepower, 0-60 in roughly 4.8 seconds. Tuned up by "APR" performance for the extra HP, torque & increased fuel economy.

Started in Winston-Salem, NC and finished at home in Northwest IN. Air Conditioner was running most of the trip (all of Indiana, Kentucky and most of West Virginia)

Snapped this photo at a stoplight after I pulled off the highway. Refilled just before getting home, which was 12 miles away from this stoplight. Fuel gauge says I can go another 50 miles before I hit "empty" ... but it will reportedly run for another 30+ miles after it reads empty. I'm just not brave enough to try that!

Still, I drove 702 miles to the point where this photo was snapped. That included mostly highway driving through the mountains of western Virginia, then West Virginia to Charlotte where we turned west to Louisville and then north to the far south suburbs of Chicagoland. Only drove the speed limit when I was forced to do so by traffic. Caught evening rush hour in Indianapolis. Lots of construction traffic on I-65 through Indiana.

2 'rest stops' + 2 Starbucks stops + 1 lunch break at "FAT PATTY'S" where I ate a "Big Fat Patty" burger.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 144

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love this car.

Power is amazing, better since I had it tuned by APR. I have a mild tune, not one of their real performance tunes. APR's basic tune bumps up HP, torque and fuel economy, which is what I wanted.

I am not publicly admitting that I ran roughly 80mph on the highway for this trip, while it was the road construction, rush hour, driving through cities, and obviously the diversions for food, coffee and potty breaks lowered the "average" to 69mph ... but I still got 41.9 mile per gallon for the fuel economy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I take it it's a diesel with a 4600 RPM redline. I hope so, anyway. :yum:

Yup, said so here:
...Audi A6 TDI 3.0L diesel engine, full time Quattro 4wd system, 475 foot pounds of torque, 375-ish horsepower, 0-60 in roughly 4.8 seconds. Tuned up by "APR" performance for the extra HP, torque & increased fuel economy...

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Very impressive.

I can get almost 700 miles out of one tank of diesel on my '95 Dodge one ton. But then that's 36 gallons of fuel. How big is the tank in the Audi?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very impressive.

I can get almost 700 miles out of one tank of diesel on my '95 Dodge one ton. But then that's 36 gallons of fuel. How big is the tank in the Audi?

About 19 gallons.

I think even more impressive is the overall fuel economy I've gotten with this vehicle. I'm over 37mpg for the 56,000+ miles I've driven this car. Granted I don't do much stop-and-go city driving. Lots of suburban and rural driving. Still, for a big heavy luxury cruiser, that is fast enough to make 5.0L Mustang owners wonder what the hell they did wrong, its damn economical.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
About 19 gallons.

I think even more impressive is the overall fuel economy I've gotten with this vehicle. I'm over 37mpg for the 56,000+ miles I've driven this car. Granted I don't do much stop-and-go city driving. Lots of suburban and rural driving. Still, for a big heavy luxury cruiser, that is fast enough to make 5.0L Mustang owners wonder what the hell they did wrong, its damn economical.

Some 5.0's Bob. Not all. :biggrin:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Some 5.0's Bob. Not all. :biggrin:

I dunno TR. I had an '86 Mercedes 3900 turbo diesel that skunked more that one Mustang. Dead slow launch but once the Turbo spun up it was mean and fast. Playing on the highway from 50 or 60 MPH it was plain gone with the press of the pedal.

The BMW beast is three times faster than that old Benz. I'll bet money it'll take most stock 5.0's if not for greater speed then total surprise to the FORD driver who didn't know what he was up against.

Strap enough HP to a brick one can make it fly. The remarkable feature of MD's BMW is it's performance and economy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... but once the Turbo spun up it was mean and fast. Playing on the highway from 50 or 60 MPH it was plain gone with the press of the pedal...
50 to 80 will snap your neck/head back into the headrest in my car.

The days of diesels being big slow pigs is long gone.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
The days of diesels being big slow pigs is long gone.

You haven't driven my 18-year old F350. :biggrin:

Actually, it isn't too bad. I had it chipped when I was pulling the 40' 5th wheel. I can run it stock or plus 50hp, 75hp, 100hp or 135hp. As the guy said, "The 135hp is only for when you are trying to outrun the cops or the Hell's Angels because it'll pretzel the driveshaft". For something that big and heavy with the aerodynamics of a brick, it'll keep up but the increase in torque is amazing.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Neighbor's son is a higher-up in Toyota and just picked up a Prius prime or some such thing. Only available on the coasts right now. Had to go pick it up the zone.

It's still ugly, but better looking than a regular Prius, at 80 mph (yes, a Prius driver that stays with traffic!) on the trip and driving around town, has about 1000 miles on the clock and shows and average mpg of 72. 72 mpg.
That's pretty damn good.

Frank, I has an 82 300SD (typo on the 3900?), and that thing was so sweet sounding with the pedal on the floor and the needle past 80. Speedo only went to 80.
New diesels are way better, but I can still hear it humming in my head. Even at idle that 5 cylinder was putting out Baroque music.....

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Neighbor's son is a higher-up in Toyota and just picked up a Prius prime or some such thing. Only available on the coasts right now. Had to go pick it up the zone.

It's still ugly, but better looking than a regular Prius, at 80 mph (yes, a Prius driver that stays with traffic!) on the trip and driving around town, has about 1000 miles on the clock and shows and average mpg of 72. 72 mpg.
That's pretty damn good.

Frank, I has an 82 300SD (typo on the 3900?), and that thing was so sweet sounding with the pedal on the floor and the needle past 80. Speedo only went to 80.
New diesels are way better, but I can still hear it humming in my head. Even at idle that 5 cylinder was putting out Baroque music.....

Yes, very good, but a Prius is still a Vagina on Wheels and I would rather drive a 1986 Yugo then one of those. Gas is cheap. Diesel fuel is cheap. America is swimming in fossil fuels. Enjoy your ride, whatever you choose. I choose not to drive a pussy car. :yum:

Bob has a nice car there and I can appreciate it very much being a gear head gas & oil guy, but give me a 4x4 with a full box frame. ground clearance to drive over whatever my pissy attitude at the time demands and I am a happy boy.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Is this diesel part of the recall? I hesitantly turned in my diesel Jetta and now have a gasser. The mileage isn't nearly as good but otherwise the car is about the same. The buyback deal was too good. After 3 years and 50,000 miles I got a new car and about $2500.00.

I would certainly buy another VW/Audi diesel in the future - great cars. This car is just a commuter so I'm fine with the gas and the mileage is still at the high-end of comparable gas models.