• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My Girls Saber team is awesome!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our high school fencing conference DUAL MEETS are now complete. Each of the various weapons forms a 3 person squad and these squads from each school face off against every other school in the conference. 16 schools scattered from Milwaukee through Chicago and down to Lowell. Lowell is the ONLY team without any paid coaches. We also do not get financial support from our school (but the administration is morally supportive of our team)

My Girls Saber squad is one of the best in the conference. They only lost to 3 schools, those 3 have professional coaches. At least 2 of those teams fence the entire school year and the 3rd has a secondary club where their kids fence year round. My kids only fence for 1/3rd of the year. Depending upon how it all plays out with the other schools, my girls could (possibly) take 3rd place. I think its safe to say that they secured at least 4th place. We will find out the official results in a few weeks.

I think we could have beaten at least 1 of the teams we lost to but my team captain, and best fencer, was out for 1/2 this season with a concussion & whiplash. As it was we only lost to that team by a couple touches :sad:

This is only our 4th year in as a team and I've got some amazing fencers! These 3 are my "A" team. Only 1 is a senior so 2/3rds of the squad returns next year to battle again.

No matter where they end up I'm really proud to be the coach of these girls :clap:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tomorrow we have a (hopefully) very long day as we travel to Woodstock, IL for the Junior Varsity Championships.

We have a chance for several medals. From our team both Mens Foil and Mens Epee each have Lowell kids who have a chance at a medal. Medals are awarded at most national/international competitions for the Top 8 finishers. Both of the boys in those above two events could get into the Top 8 and possibly the Top 4. I don't coach either of those weapons but have given the Epee fencers some pointers, still I can take no credit for any achievements they may earn.

In Saber we have 1 girl who will be a likely medal winner (my other top girls have too much experience and are not allowed to compete in this event). In fact the bets are that she has a very good chance of taking home a gold medal tomorrow. Only a sophomore and only her 2nd year as a fencer she is currently ranked #4 in the entire conference among the Varsity fencers. Every fencer has good days, every fencer has bad days. I'm hoping that Amya has a very good day tomorrow.

She comes from a tough family situation with little spare money to support her sport; to afford her own gear she got a part time job and I helped her build a custom weapon for competitions. I don't recall ever seeing her mom/stepfather ever attend one of her competitions, but perhaps they have and I was simply unaware. She's made some questionable life choices in her past, but is on the right track in life now. Very smart, gets good grades, takes tough classes and I'm hopeful that fencing may help her get a college scholarship in a couple of years.

Attachments

• IMG_9388.JPG
    IMG_9388.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9403.JPG
    IMG_9403.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 89