• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Type 2 warning: Too much red meat and poultry can increase risk

Loudmouth

Site Supporter
Dinner time favorites such as beef and lamb are high in iron, a mineral associated with triggering the debilitating disease.

But even chicken thighs and drumsticks can be bad for you, say experts.

The darker the meat, the greater the risk, with scientists finding a direct link between consumption and Type 2 diabetes.

Analysis of more than 60,000 people shows those eating the most red meat increase their risk by 23 per cent while for those who eat a lot of dark poultry meat the risk increases by 15 per cent.

Experts suggest cutting out dark meat and replacing it with chicken breast, fish, shellfish and vegetables.

“We don’t need to remove meat from the diet entirely just reduce the daily intake, especially for red meat, and choose chicken breast and fish or shellfish, or plantbased protein food and dairy products, to reduce the risk of diabetes.”

The study is published in the American Journal of Epidemiology.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/851879/diabetes-type-2-red-meat-poultry-risk-warning

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I ran into my neighbor at the produce section of our grocery store. She had just finished a class where they told them much the same as you posted above. The belief now is that the fats in meats cause diabetes more than sweets. I thought this sounded bizarre so I mentioned it to the doc at my doc appt last week. Yep, it's true. Studies now link consumption of meat to type 2 diabetes. Shocked me.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
You guys are making it harder and harder for my to enjoy those 20 oz rib-eyes I am so fond of. How about the mashed potatoes with lots of butter and gravy and green peas I have as a side? :yum:

Loudmouth

Site Supporter
Hey TiredRetired,

I think your Dr. would agree that as long as your not pre-diabetic - your ok. But; if you ARE pre-diabetic, you’ll be wanting to make some changes…