• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

August rv trip

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We had a fairly busy but relaxed day that started with a duck boat tour. Then we stopped by the Whitehouse where I met the president. The lovely missus and 4 of the kids tried our a rope climbing obstacle course in the afternoon.

On a side note, I'm smiling in the pictures but I'm hurting. On the driving days, I'm almost in tears from the burning pain in my back and have to stop every hour to stretch. So a 3 hour drive ends up taking all day. We hit the road tomorrow headed north with our final stop of hibbing Minnesota which is only a 5-6hour drive normally but I have to do it in 2 days. So tomorrow will be a campground about halfway from here to Duluth Minnesota.
1f465787f4df7fc18cd7c718fc12d6eb.jpg
49e093a9fe0de0b31a460d32a2710440.jpg
7bf2ec8a5b462c58fe47318cb5d6a701.jpg
c45b1db44d46fb69a725de3d79f10d66.jpg
e9d4056fd989c520c697d29a62b6469b.jpg
3ed578cd5244aa33ef01136df8131f63.jpg
b179d3cc2764d7ed99f593de701962dd.jpg
a6ad4eaeb2ddbc2baa51bf5748be2938.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Made it to shell lake Wisconsin. Very nice campground. We'll be back at some point. Only about 5hrs from home. But we aren't going home till Monday. Tomorrow we travel past Duluth Minnesota and set our sights on hibbing an hour past. This will be the labor day dirt track shootout. 2 days of solid dirt track racing.
92d1c6724c76f850a3bfd49c631e185d.jpg
87cca9eb7c9d984f9bb9da16f5576192.jpg
60a5f0097d8a89f04b5e1e019c90f0a4.jpg
a00ed04f26eea64e3b5bdf675da737cf.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So we've hit a snag in our route planning. After leaving Hibbing, we planned originally to head due east and join up with hwy 61 from Duluth to the border. Turns out an oversized transport hit an old train bridge that went over the highway. No eta on when it will be open again. The only detour is 17 miles of unmaintained bush road. That's not happening. So after hibbing we may have to head north and cross back into Canada at Fort frances. That ads another 2-3hours of driving. It already takes twice as long to drive any distance as I have to stop so often to give my back a rest. Lifting my arms to hold the steering wheel puts a great amount of strain on the muscles surrounding the area where my back broke.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
No Wi-Fi the past 4 days. Made it home. I'm exhausted. They managed to get the road open in record time. We had a great time at the races and also toured the hull rust mine and museum.
1e982e4aa6a17bd598eeddd2bf4ca2da.jpg
6e20748f2f8db68ad3ecd069f3c3e12b.jpg
ab3e0bf741a95c88c889a177329d6f98.jpg
47efba53169be8ab21401768666d1ca5.jpg
7a92c72fdc321c6037d25abdcb4d90d1.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a side note on the last few pictures. The big scoop in the last picture was one of only 6 ever built and a prototype of the ones that built the Panama canal.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a side note on the last few pictures. The big scoop in the last picture was one of only 6 ever built and a prototype of the ones that built the Panama canal.

Good pics!!!! :clap:
Where was that museum?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That is in Hibbing Minnesota. One of the largest iron ore mines in north America that's been in operation for over 100 years.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're at it again. We didn't plan a trip in 2018 for various reasons. This year, we are going to make up for it. We're in preliminary talks of planning a big ole rv trip to the east coast. The first weekend in August is the 2 day music festival in Duluth Minnesota we go to. This year we will bring the kids then continue on from there through Wisconsin, back into Ontario over to Ottawa then along the st Lawrence river through Quebec new Brunswick and prince Edward island over to nova Scotia. Go big or stay home. Plans are to be gone the whole month of August. That'll give us relaxing 4 hour days of driving with time to sight see along the way. Any recomendations for things to do or see along the way is appreciated. The only thing that we have slated is the festival at the beginning and a couple days in Wisconsin dells on the way back. Other than that it's an open book. Old Quebec city is also on the list. We'll do mostly Canada on the way there then cross into Maine and take the states back.
da1ffac25b119578537a663193463ab5.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That looks like an interesting trip. How many miles is it? It looks like a long way.

I'm one of those lazy campers. I never drive more than 5 or 6 hours a day. That usually translates in to 300 - 350 miles. I like to get set up in daylight and sit, have a beer and watch the sun set. We usually spend a couple of days at each stop. Get in and set up, find some place to go the next day and haul out the day after. It keeps everything nice and relaxed until we reach our destination park where we spend however long we want to stay. Same on the way home.

We've got a couple of trips planned for this year. Going down to Fredericksburg in the Hill Country in the spring, probably in March. We've got our month long Colorado trip booked for September/October. We're talking about making a return trip to Fort Yargo in Georgia in the RV probably at the end of June or July. We're planning a long, non RV trip to the Pacific North-West and Canada in May. I may try to fit in a week long trip somewhere before the end of the year. That should be enough traveling for two old people but we do love RV camping.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you have a few good trips planned as well. I plan on 4-5 hours a day driving with a few days rest in between. My back can't handle more than that. We also plan on staying away from the divided highways where everyone is going 75 mph. Roughly 1800 miles one way. Probably over 2k factoring in detours and such.

My dads family was originally from nova Scotia. We also want to do Cape breton. I'm estimating a week and a bit each way. I've been that way before but not in 25 years.

Canadian eh!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
2000 miles one way!!!! Now that's a trip. One of these days, before I die, I'd like to take off on a 3 month trip like that. Just dawdle along with no particular timetable and see where we end up. Never seem to be able to do it. Always have to come home for some reason or another.

Unlike you, I like freeways and major highways. Our rig is 12' 9" high and chugging along backcountry roads scare me. I'm afraid that a low hanging branch, or even worse, the ol' 11' 8" bridge will rip the roof off. Those backroads are the reason we tow the car. :smile:

More power to you. I hope that you have a great time and a memorable trip. :clap::clap::clap:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. You too.

The main reason I personally like staying off the freeway is hauling a 33ft camper on the freeway at around 60mph with everyone else flying by at 75mph causes the trailer to start whipping around behind causing the dreaded death wobble. And I have a 12000 hitch setup with the weight distribution bars and anti sway shock. But I think I may have solved that problem. The last time I towed the camper with the SUV, I think the hitch was set too high taking the weight off the back of the vehicle and shifting it toward the rear of the trailer. I'm going to tryi lowering the hitch one hole on the adjustable shaft to bring the front of the trailer down.

With the weight distribution bars, I can almost lift the rear tires off the ground. Yes, it takes the weight off the vehicle but you don't want too much weight off as it becomes unstable.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's the rough draft of the planned route. That's also not taking into consideration the fact that the camper is a 60 mile drive from the city and it's a 4hr drive to Duluth Minnesota. Also, if we want to do Cape breton and prince Edward island that'll add more mileage.
73ca4fe7305cdb8da9f3e3cf8e0e2834.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My S-I-L had somewhat the same problem when she had her trailer. With her it was weight distribution. She had 'way too much weight (stuff) packed and stored in the rear of the trailer.

I understand what you say about driving on the freeway. Our last Class "C" was a nightmare at anything approaching 60 mph. It got pushed and pulled all over the place by passing semis and box trucks. Any bumps or irregularities in the road and the front end and steering would go light. If both happened at the same time … Jeez!!! After 5 or 6 hours you were a mental and physical wreck. The new one is like a rock. It's a pleasure to drive.

I'm still in awe at your planned trip. The longest we've ever done in 12 years of RVing is 1200 miles.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. The dreaded death wobble. I'll try adjusting the hitch. It has the adjustable shaft with 6 different settings. I'm thinking that lowering one notch and using the bars to level up will transfer some weight forward and provide more stability.

For a trip that size, I could potentially do longer days and make it there in 4 days. But as they say, its not the destination, it's the journey.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We changed our plans for the August trip. Instead, we bumped it up a couple of weeks and are leaving here july 17th heading west towards mount Rushmore. The first couple nights will be 4 hours away in dryden Ontario to spend some time with my in laws. Then 2 hours west to kenora Ontario to watch my brother race. Followed by Winnipeg Manitoba for a few days then we turn south into north Dakota working our way to south Dakota and mt Rushmore. After a few days there, we turn east and work our way towards Duluth Minnesota for a 2 day outdoor concert August long weekend before heading home.

Canadian eh!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We changed our plans for the August trip. Instead, we bumped it up a couple of weeks and are leaving here july 17th heading west towards mount Rushmore. The first couple nights will be 4 hours away in dryden Ontario to spend some time with my in laws. Then 2 hours west to kenora Ontario to watch my brother race. Followed by Winnipeg Manitoba for a few days then we turn south into north Dakota working our way to south Dakota and mt Rushmore. After a few days there, we turn east and work our way towards Duluth Minnesota for a 2 day outdoor concert August long weekend before heading home.

Canadian eh!!!

We look like we are leaving on our motorcycle trip about the same time.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We have all the campgrounds booked for the trip. There were a couple of small changes after the sites were booked as we decided to spend a couple nights in kenora Ontario to watch my brother race.

So it will be a 4 hr drive to dryden for 2 nights. Then 2 hours to kenora. Followed by 2 hours to Winnipeg. Then 3 hours south into north Dakota. And so on.....

It's an easy driving trip. The longest drive is 5 hours. I've got the scooter lift ready to hook up to the camper when I get it home this weekend. But first, some preventive maintenance on the camper. I'm getting the wheel bearings repacked. It's a 2016 but we've done two big trips with it covering 10000 kms.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Almost ready to hit the road. Just a few things left to load then bring in the slides and hook up.
0e9035d59808cdfa502c29f9246c7e07.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Lunch stop at the central time zone marker. Made it to our first destination at a provincial park. The skies opened up just as we were setting up. I got soaked.
be30249b3d826ee2bdf6b67c0b110210.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. We're actually under another tornado watch right now. We're going to be safe but I fear for our camp and home. They are under a tornado warning meaning tornadoes are imminent. The pin is where we are. That red Blob is tracking east right towards home.
39c7648bf7e4e0e2b6b5fca569b4a3e0.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, just like the trip two years ago, it's been pouring rain the first full day being a bust. Two years ago we were in ney's provincial park with the same weather conditions.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We've arrived in Winnipeg Manitoba. Tonight will be racing again. We plan on going to a water park and and amusement park both next to the campground. We're here for 4days then turning south to cross over to the dark side.
cd0be430b348681fc77d18e9572937ab.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We didn't do much yesterday after arriving at the campground. Last night we attended the red river co-op speedway races. A much bigger car count with close to 60 cars. My brother was racing there and drew the pole position in his feature in a pack of 16 cars. He led the first half of the race and was walking away with it till he broke a valve and had to shut it down to save the engine.
2d1330fe122eb5125bb0ccf4bac26fbe.jpg
c495798e9a19ca459dd3ba93d9f977ce.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We didn't do much yesterday after arriving at the campground. Last night we attended the red river co-op speedway races. A much bigger car count with close to 60 cars. My brother was racing there and drew the pole position in his feature in a pack of 16 cars. He led the first half of the race and was walking away with it till he broke a valve and had to shut it down to save the engine.
2d1330fe122eb5125bb0ccf4bac26fbe.jpg
c495798e9a19ca459dd3ba93d9f977ce.jpg

I got the whole story this morning. He broke a water pump belt and started overheating. So he sacrificed the race to save the engine.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Water park today. It's next door to the campground. Tomorrow is a travel day.
73ac1a82c115cc00782f9279ecfbab84.jpg
50920b0288164f7c22ca358d3e038350.jpg
c110b537bbd6b144aa3ba1d3e8fb9631.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We made it to devils lake ND. The campground we had booked was a disgusting turd in the middle of a field. There wasn't anyone there to check us in or direct us to a site so we left and found a nice state park near the water where we can send 2 nights. The first picture is where we stopped for lunch. We typically find a nice area to pull in and make sandwiches for the kids.
8a353fc40dfd82de52880a6d4ff92ff4.jpg
33044e005dd755c0d7a200feb258f4cd.jpg
9b1a6c750841761c60b3c6e17c61a1a5.jpg
c8a4d4adbf828911dab5ef0f7336152e.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll say that the last trip we took hauling the camper was with the Yukon. It did alright but speeds over 60mph were downright scary. The expedition does a much better job towing. Way more power and much more stable at higher speeds. I figure that the camper fully loaded and the scooter lift behind is somewhere around 8000lbs which was almost max on the Yukon. The expedition is rated for 9400 towing. That along with built in anti sway is allowing me to comfortably hold 70mph if needed.

Today is a relaxing day with absolutely nothing planned. Tomorrow we head for Dickinson ND before making the final treck to mount Rushmore where we stay for 4 days.