• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I got the wrong name!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Not me, but announcer Bob Lee of ESPN, apparently. He was relieved of his announcing duties for a University of Virginia football game because of his name. That's right, his name. Apparently the morons on ESPN felt too many people would confuse him with General Robert E. Lee, who died in 1870.

You just cannot make this shit up, folks. This is a true story, not pulling your chain. The link is below.

We are doomed boys & girls. There really are people out there who think this way. Like I said, one cannot make this shit up.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/08/22/espn-pulls-announcer-robert-lee-from-uva-broadcast/

Last edited:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you can ban statues and flags, why not names?

Sadly, ESPN is probably correct. A college education from the school of Jefferson, once considered one of the best in the nation does not mean you can't be easily confused.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
a quote from ESPN:

“It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue.”

Well, ESPN is the one CREATING the issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Exactly, they created this issue. Had any person or group complained about that announcer most would not have taken notice and would have called them whinners/ losers / snowflakes.
ESPN is trying to be so so PC. It will now hurt them in the long run.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
ESPN? Not on my TV, I have likened ESPN to the CNN of sports TV. Too much editorial, not enough reporting.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
ESPN? Not on my TV, I have likened ESPN to the CNN of sports TV. Too much editorial, not enough reporting.

I no longer follow sports of any kind except local college hockey. So ESPN is a nothing to me and never watch it. I prefer more intelligent channels like the Cartoon Network. :biggrin:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
"You guys know there's no coming back from this ESPN thing, right? When the people who control media and culture are this far gone, it's over" - Omri Ceren

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
"You guys know there's no coming back from this ESPN thing, right? When the people who control media and culture are this far gone, it's over" - Omri Ceren

It actually started the day prayer was taken out of public schools and this country started down it's long and slippery slope of becoming a non Christian country. There are consequences for ones actions and this country is now witnessing the consequences of its actions.