• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowmobiles...

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I sold off my sleds back in about 2000. My last machines were two little '97 Polaris 440s. They were light and fun. Unfortunately, where I lived I got very little use out of them without hauling them on the trailer first. So they went away.

Where I live now, we are in better snow country and right near the trail. I'm thinking of making the plunge again.

Here's the deal:

I don't need to go 100 mph.
I don't like to spend a lot of money.
I don't like 2-strokes. (Sorry, I know that's a sin among sledders.)

What do you guys know about the early 4-stroke sleds? The early to mid 2000's sleds. I know Yamaha is (was?) the benchmark in that arena. The new BRP-SkiDoo machines are probably better, but at $10K + each that is way too much for my blood. I'd like to start researching now and look for one to buy this or next summer...

Thoughts, comments?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
:wtf: In about 5 hours from now one of the best games of the year will start, your team is in and your worried about some snowmobiles?? Or are you just messing with us to make the time go faster?? :poke: :yum:

norscaner

:wtf: In about 5 hours from now one of the best games of the year will start, your team is in and your worried about some snowmobiles?? Or are you just messing with us to make the time go faster?? :poke: :yum:

I didn't know there was a hockey game on today.:w00t2:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would look at a touring one electric start and reverse and the 4 stroke

That will be my next one if there is a next one.

I have a 1998 formula 700 and it is a rocket ship.
I dont need that kinda speed but I got a deal on it but there hasen't been enough snow for the last 3 years so its in mothballs.
Then this year cones along and it is in the garage up state snowed in:sad: and I cant get to it.

tom

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Murph said:

I've been cooking for the game all afternoon. I'm just occupying my time constructively...

garygaboury

I work for a company that has owned hundreds of snowmobiles over the last 5 years. We have made the switch to four stroke and will never go back. What are you looking for? Mountain riding? Trails? Just for cabin access? If you can provide a few more details I can recommend someything you will like..

Gary

fyi: My personal sled is still 2 stroke.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . The new BRP-SkiDoo machines are probably better, but at $10K + each that is way too much for my blood. I'd like to start researching now and look for one to buy this or next summer...

Thoughts, comments?
You can get a good working snowcat for under $10K.

I'm just sayin :hammer:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i think if i were to go 4 stroke it would be arctic cat i don't need to rip my lips off either and the ac machines have the smallest 4 stroke motors wich should equate to better fuel mlage and less weight to horse around

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yamaha's are good sledds in the four strokes but they are heavy IMHO. Maybe make up for alot of that I am sure, but when they are stuck, it does make a difference. My vote would be for something lighter with of course reverse....gotta have that...

Regards, Kirk

It is hard to beat an Arctic Cat Bearcat for all around comfort, ability, simplicity and easy operation. They started offering the 4 stroke in the Bear Cat Wide Track in 2004 and the turbo version in 2006. The turbo gives it a little more snap when you give it the gas which is nice if you operate off trail and occasionally have to jump a creek or other obstacle. Both versions will putt along or cruise at faster trail speeds with no problem. You probably won't find another nicer riding utility snogo around. I personally like and own the Bear Cat 570 which is a 2 stroke fan cooled with the narrower 16" track but still has the 156" long track. It is my favorite machine and I have the hotrod M8 mountain machine too and have owned numeriouse other 500-800cc snowmobiles.

As far as 4 strokes made in the past 10 years but not including the new ones, Yamaha is more advanced engineering wise and has the best fit and finish of all the big 4 manufactures IMO, but they are too heavy and don't handle the off trail conditions near as well as the others. Arctic Cat and Ski Doo 4 strokes are a pretty close match in engineering and are both very good while Polaris just doesn't cut the mustard in the age group you are looking at.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think any of the newer 4 strokes out now will fit your criteria,finding the right track length and options you like might be harder to find new in a dealer show room as the season is well on its way. Have you looked for a used sled? Although i run 2 stroke mountain sleds i have been thinking about 4 strokes for the future. They are just not lite enough yet for my applications. Most all newer dirt bikes are now 4 stroke and as soon as they make 4 stroke sleds as lite as my RMK'S i will be replacing mine.

Ask your local dealer(what ever manufacture)about who rides a lot and local clubs,often someone knows someone who is selling,
i've found guys(who have lots of money)that buy a new sled every other year and unload thier older sleds fairly reasonable...compaired too new,

Hope you find what your looking for:biggrin:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I have a 2005 Arctic Cat Widetrack Bearcat with the four stoke. Great work sled, great touring sled and rides better than anything I have ever owned before. Get about 20 mpg and is so quiet the moose don't get out of the trail because they don't hear me coming towards them.

You do need to put wide ski skins on any of the wide tracks, they float so well with the wide tracks, the skis won't keep you upright in deep snow, once you put the wide ski skins on it that makes them great. I have had three of them, A Skidoo Nordic 50 and the Yamaha Viking before the current Arctic Cat version and they were all the same, really tippy in deep snow until I put the wide ski skins on and then they were great!

dep6113

Rode lots of sleds over the last twenty + years, seen big hoursepower , long tracks turbo sleds and all. the most dependable sled i have seen is an air cooled 550 polaris two stroke. weight is not to bad, newer models have electronic reverse, one person can get them unstuck , suspension is pretty good and you can buy them used for 2K or so. we purchased a 2000 550 trail for my wife brand new, i put a two inch track on it just because of the better breaking down hills but it climbed very well with the stock track. My daughter is now 10 and she is taking it over from the wife who is now on a 600 skidoo---she wants her polaris back. 4 strokes are great until you get one stuck.
what i would consider if i was just picking up a sled
1) who has the best dealer in the area for parts and such
2) how long has the motor been used and in how many applications ( they have used the same 550 for ten years)
3) get at least a 136 inch track

and the most important thing is to remember is the motor only pulls as hard as you squeeze the throttle---its never bad to have extra power and not use it but it can be real bad if you get into an area and dont have enough......
Dave
PS---Im not a huge polaris fan---I have had Yamahas, skidoos, several Polaris sleds and i think if i purchased a new sled today it would be an AC 800

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Bump.

Still looking for a sled. Still welcoming any thoughts or commentary.

I do think that I would bump my vintage I'm looking for to mid to late 2000s.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Bump.

Still looking for a sled. Still welcoming any thoughts or commentary.

I do think that I would bump my vintage I'm looking for to mid to late 2000s.

Well like I said earlier, the Arctic Cat wide track 660 is a very good and stable four stroke machine than can carry two people in very good comfort. They get twice the fuel mileage as the two strokes, not really fast, unless you get the turbo'd version which is about double the HP at 127+-.... A mid 2000 model will sell for between three to six thousand depending on what year and mileage.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Marks Camera 001.jpg
    Marks Camera 001.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 331

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have an 06 turbo bearcat for sale and a 06 660 touring for sale. Both with remote start. Touring has heated seats and heated grips front and rear!! For the right price I can deliver! Going to MN next week!

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
$8250 for the pair Both have electric start, reverse, touring has a cover clean sleds

mtmogs

Foggy, where did you source your wide skins? I've got a '98 VK and you are spot on about the tipping. it seems that if the track tilts 15 degrees or more left or right then you are done - better lay off the throttle at this point or you are in for a long excavation. Despite having the snow-trac, my wife and I still use the snowmachines to get up into the mts from home to ski. We're doing that more this year as snow conditions at lower elevations suck so far.

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat Widetrack Bearcat with the four stoke. Great work sled, great touring sled and rides better than anything I have ever owned before. Get about 20 mpg and is so quiet the moose don't get out of the trail because they don't hear me coming towards them.

You do need to put wide ski skins on any of the wide tracks, they float so well with the wide tracks, the skis won't keep you upright in deep snow, once you put the wide ski skins on it that makes them great. I have had three of them, A Skidoo Nordic 50 and the Yamaha Viking before the current Arctic Cat version and they were all the same, really tippy in deep snow until I put the wide ski skins on and then they were great!