• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Porsche ST4 Snow Trac (by Lyndon)

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
As Porsche developed the VW and then moved on to racing machines they split into 2 companies. But the 356 and the 912 had "glorfied"VW engines that bolted right on to the same transaxel. The Porsche engine had an extra main bearing, a "Wet Sump" oil system instead of a Dry Sump, Cranks that were balanced to roughly 25% over the red line on the tach, fancy carberation, bigger exhaust ports, angled valves and all the trimmings. A stock VW 1600 CC ranges between 50 and 65 HP. The 912 and 356 motors ran from 60 to 90 HP stock and could be suped up further. There is no intake manifold on one of these engines,having a carb on each side instead. This makes things pretty tight in an already busy engine compartment of an ST4. They generally balanced them to where they could actually turn almost 10,000 RPM's but had the "Red Line" set between 6000 to 7500 Rpm's. There was even a roller crank model that produced more HP and could operate coninuously at very high speeds. Regular Beetle engines operated from 3600 to about 5000 RPM's depending on the year. The Prosche 4 and 5 speed transmission would bolt in the place of a VW transaxel, but you might run into 'Paddle Shaft' Versus 'Spline Shaft' problems if you don't watch the years. The shafts coming out of the transaxel that have the small drive sprockets on them, are VW axels that have been cut down, milled, had splines cut in them and a woodruff key. Somewhere around the late sixties VW and Prosche changed from these having flat paddle ends roughly the shape of a small hand, to splines. Which ever variator you have, you must get another transmission that has the same shaft ends on it. Numbers don't necessarily give it away, one needs to dissasemble the variator and check befor trying to track down a Porsche Transmission.

Porsche engines are expensive, parts are expensive and you can usually have a larger displacement engine built up new, or bought complete new for less money. I put a 1776 CC roughly 85 HP VW engine in a Track Master, changed the main sprockets from the original 42 tooth, to Snow Trac 36 tooth sprockets. It preformed well. We tried running the same engine in a Snow Trac and it was fantastic! You didn't need first or second gear, you could drive almost anywhere in 3rd and 4th. Top speed was close to 30 MPH.

It used to be that you could pick up an old 912 ( only manufactured 66-69 ) for a song. I almost bought one last year. Unfortunately they have become fairly collectable and the price has gone up.
Another alternative is to use a later water cooled Rabbit engine. I owned one of these for a few months and my employer bought it from me. Because of the popularity of Dune Buggies, adapter plates are readily available to adapt VW Transaxel's to almost any motor. Dune buggies have had everything from Chrysler,Dodge, Ford, and GM engines adapted to them. Corvair engines were popular, I've seen Buick V6's and a 327 chev motors as well as others. The last 2 I looked at had 280 HP Pinto 4 cyl engines, that spit out flames and required special fuel.

Personally I'd go with the 1776 right out of the crate from one of the california VW shops, Balanced, with single port heads. This requires vertually no modifications to things like the throttle lincage, heat controls, air intake, ect. Make sure you save your old Heater boxes, ST4's are modified to accomodate the variator towers, and it's a pain to modify a new set. Also the later VW engines had a bulge on the back of the fan housing that moves the Oil cooler out. You can't get this to work, it hits the variator and the air induction horn won't go on.

I believe it was someone from the company or one of the dealers that told me they used Porsche Motors. In any event, I heard it well before I saw the pictures of the one in Antarctica. I know of VW Buses in Europe that were factory eqquipped with Porsche motors and fitted with sportier suspension, set up as Ambulances. 2 long time associates of mine got a ride in one hitch hiking around Italy. They said it could really Book!I personally have put 912 and 356 engines in bug's and one Bus with great success, and limited hassels

OkeeDon

Good report, very comprehensive. I might just pick one nit; I believe you got "dry sump" and "wet sump" reversed. Wet sump engines are those found in 99.9% of all vehicles with an ail pan as an integral part of the engine; dry sump engines are primarily used on racing engines and some industrial engines where positive lubrication is an absolute must. A dry sump engine has a remote oil reservoir instead of an oil pan, and uses a pump to move the oil through the engine and a cooler and back to the reservoir. While I'm not directly familiar with the Porsche engines to which you're referring, the standard VW engines would definitely be wet sump and because of their racing heritage, it's likely the Porsche engines could be dry sump.

Otherwise, your report is very informative.