• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Catholic Church confessional: Child molesting

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I see another thread on the problems of the Pope and the Catholic church, but that one is centered around a comic-opera plan by some radicals to arrest the Pope if only they can find some law enforcement jurisdiction to back them up. Ya sure, like that is going to work! Let's keep that topic over there.

More central to the issue of what the Pope knew, when, and what did he do about it, is a NPR-Chicago feature I heard last evening.

First let me say that I'm pro-choice regarding an individual's religion, I know many people who take great comfort from their faith and belonging, and I don't mean to lessen their comfort.

However - what this segment emphasized to me is that people wronged by the Catholic Church are generally cast out, ignored, not comforted, if they complain about abuse. As I understand Catholic doctrine it is essential to receive Communion through the Church, there is no way to avoid its bureaucracy and the Pope's appointed intermediaries right down to the local priests, and remain in good standing with God. So when a parishioner feels betrayed by a priest, can't face him, that person is also cut off from God. These people tend to leave the church and feel very alone. According to this article few are offered counseling or invited to return, rather they are often seen as having led the priest into sin and are shunned.

After several years cleaning up after bad priests this priest left his order and went to work for a law firm representing people who were abused. The firm gets huge settlements, and this financial drain is weakening the church - a strategy somewhat like the small-government movement wants to do by reducing revenue (taxes).

He came to a realization that the Church's survival instinct was more important than the individual misery of the abused individuals, and he thought this was exactly backward, that he should be helping the abused. And that the Church would never change so that taking it down was the only way to reduce these incidents. He also notes that surveys of Catholic clergy indicate less than a third remain celibate; the other two-thirds are out spreading more scandal and misery.

I don't know enough about this to get the fine points right. Please listen to the 21 minute interview with the former priest and comment on what he really said instead of commenting on my limited understanding!

Confession

LISTEN NOW (21 mins) This American Life (Chicago Public Radio)

A former priest goes public: Father Patrick Wall was a special kind of monk. He was a fixer. The Catholic church sent him to problem parishes where priests had been removed because of scandals. His job was to come in, keep events from going public and smooth things over until a permanent replacement priest was found. But after four different churches in four years, after covering up for pedophiles and adulterers and liars and embezzlers, he decided to make a change. Carl Marziali tells his story in a segment about going behind enemy lines. Sometimes people get confused about whose side they're on...and how to fight the "enemy."

Here is where I found the link to this 4/02/2010 sound file.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well back in the day, then Cardinal Ratzinger ignored a plea to defrock priests, so not a whole lot has changed within his mind I suppose, although I do believe the issue hasn't been entirely put on the back burner in the last 20 years.
I think JP ll had a little more concern about the whole thing.

Father Wall is a good man it seems, and he's still a priest according to the church,even though he is married. :D

Good post, Chris and thank you.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting listen, Chris. It actually runs through about 24 mins. Initially, Father Patrick Wall was still open to the catholic church and when his daughter was 2 planned to send her to catholic school and they attended mass every week. By the time she was 8, after having been involved in reviewing over 1000 cases of abuse and having inside knowledge of the cover up procedure, he determined the catholic church doesn't have the capacity to change and he has since left the church but continues a ministry to those who have been hurt/harmed by the church. He has coauthored a book titled Sex, Priests, Secret Codes: The Catholic Church's 2000 year Paper Trail of Sexual Abuse.

Like you, Chris, I am not catholic. At the end, he talks about these people no longer being able to take part in the holy sacrament because it takes a priest to administer the sacrament.(They are alienated from the church because the wagons have circled around the perpetrator and after their experience, they are not able to trust priests. The sacrament involves touch and being close to the priest...victims would be averse to being in this situation.)

The question I have is since the priest's role is to be a representative of God and in this role he brings the parishioner in proximity to God via the sacraments, are the sacraments which he has facilitated true sacraments? Isn't the communion experienced during these sacraments dependent on the priest's own spiritual condition and if his condition is spoiled the bond he represents between parishioner and God is no longer intact so that ultimately this is a betrayal of everyone who has depended on him to be that link between them and God?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The question I have is since the priest's role is to be a representative of God and in this role he brings the parishioner in proximity to God via the sacraments, are the sacraments which he has facilitated true sacraments? Isn't the communion experienced during these sacraments dependent on the priest's own spiritual condition and if his condition is spoiled the bond he represents between parishioner and God is no longer intact so that ultimately this is a betrayal of everyone who has depended on him to be that link between them and God?

I did a search for the Criteria of Administrating Communion in the Catholic Church and only could find Criteria for receiving Communion in the Catholic Church. Interesting as the Criteria for Receiving was pretty strict. Thus administering should be more strict one would think. However I have been to a few Catholic Weddings and Funerals in my life and I see Common people both men and women out of the pews administering Communion.

SShepherd

Hmm ,a Vatican sanctioned "fixer" sent from church to church to keep things quiet.

Why whas I expecting a guy with a bald head, and 2, .45's with suppressors ( ala Hitman )

.............come to think about it, it sounds like a good idea

side note,

I'm wondering when some sheriff with some brass balls with grab one of these pedophiles and jail him.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

Ex opere operato

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_opere_operato

According to what I have always been taught CG, no.

God is still there. It's not His fault if a rotten priest is officiating at the mass.
Same goes for the other sacraments.

This principle holds that the effect of the sacrament is a result, not of the holiness of a priest or minister, but rather of Christ Himself who is the Author (directly or indirectly) of each sacrament. The priest or minister acts "in persona Christi" (in the person of Christ) even if in a serious state of sin. Although such a sacrament would be valid, and the grace effective, it is nonetheless sinful for any priest to celebrate a sacrament while himself in a state of sin.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
However I have been to a few Catholic Weddings and Funerals in my life and I see Common people both men and women out of the pews administering Communion.

Those are Eucharistic Ministers, Murph.
That came about, I believe around the mid 70's at first, but lay people weren't allowed so much to take such an active role in distributing communion until the mid 80's.
Gone are the days of altar rails and kneeling to receive.