• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Porsche Snow trac

What would be the advantage of having a porsche snow trac ? what engine ?? does anyone have a thought on this, I know this has been brought up b4, but with limited details :hide::hide::hide: what was the option from the factory ??? does anyone have a photo of the engine bay with a porsche engine ?? Merry Christmas & Happy New year to all on the snow cat forum..........

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you could find one it would simply have more power. I'm not sure which engine they put in them, but you are unlikely to ever see one in North America. There may be a few, but they would be rare indeed. I believe (and I could be wrong) they were all sent to Antarctica by way of Australia. Finding one here would be tough.

Personally I'd like to repower mine with a Subaru boxer engine to pick up some added power and to gain the advantage of a water cooled engine so the cabin would get proper heat.

I have read its a rare machine, I wonder what the engine was ?? maybe a 356 ?? I wonder how they did the fuel system so mit wasnt in the way ??

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was a Porsche INDUSTRIAL engine, but I don't recall if it was based on a 356 or not. I know that Lyndon wrote about them, you may want to try a search of our old threads, there is quite a bit of information posted about it, in detail.

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
I believe I spoke to someone at Peterson equipment some years ago who informed me that the owner there has a snow trac with a porsche motor, not sure if it was factory or swapped out. He used it for access to his cabin which I found very interesting considering all the choices he had to drive!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I would bet good money that Lyndon knows more about the Porsche powered snow tracs than anyone alive! I have a source for Porsche Industrial engines. I need to ask him if any are left. PW did you want one? Anyone else? I believe I will go the Subaru route for there supreme reliability and modern components.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
????? lyndon sent me a email and said they were not industrial engines, unless I read his message wrong ???

Well based on the various stories quoted in the prior link from Snowcat Operations, either Lyndon is wrong or you are reading his PM wrong, or several other sources are wrong but there seems to be evidence that they were Porsche Industrial engines.

Here is the link again:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=3058&highlight=porsche+snow+trac

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Lyndon would know. I believe they were 75 HP or 90 HP engines. That would be a Super 90. I have a friend who has a line on Porsche Industrial engines. At least that was a year ago. I believe the Industrial engines had 75 HP..

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
To answer your original question. The Porsche engines were better made, had more power and were more reliable. BUT prices for parts are very expensive, hard to find and even harder to find someone who knows how to work on them in remote areas for sure.

I think you are right, and they were internally balanced to 2000 rpm and had a roller crank so I have been told, sounds like a better engine and I bet its not as noisy...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
To answer your original question. The Porsche engines were better made, had more power and were more reliable. BUT prices for parts are very expensive, hard to find and even harder to find someone who knows how to work on them in remote areas for sure.

Mike , I think this is what your looking for ?? Nice huh ????:wub::wub:

Attachments

• Kristi KT3 #113.jpg
    Kristi KT3 #113.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 514

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Mike , I think this is what your looking for ?? Nice huh ????:wub::wub:

Mike , If your interested in it let me know and i'll give you the number of the guy who owns it . $6500 .
Brand new and never ran .

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Oh how tempting that is. Does he happen to want a snowcat? If so I would take the engine and some cash................ PM me!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
And what exactly is it ??? for those of us who are not so engine savy, thanks

Paul , you are something else . You say thank you in your post and then give me negative rep points and leave this comment ????
reputation_balance.gif
Porsche Snow trac 12-26-2008 10:52 PMpaul webster nicw motor/ how do you know what it is ???
Your still sore because I did not sell my Snow Trac to you . Wanna know why ??? Heres why ..... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253112http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253112 Care to comment about this ??? Sounds like you got issues in other web sites .And by the way take all the Rep points you want from me .

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Jumpin Catfish! Same Paul Webster?

Paul? This you? If so, has it been sorted out?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Paul , you are something else . You say thank you in your post and then give me negative rep points and leave this comment ????
reputation_balance.gif
Porsche Snow trac 12-26-2008 10:52 PMpaul webster nicw motor/ how do you know what it is ???
Your still sore because I did not sell my Snow Trac to you . Wanna know why ??? Heres why ..... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253112 Care to comment about this ??? Sounds like you got issues in other web sites .And by the way take all the Rep points you want from me .

Or maybe your like to explain or comment on this one ????http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?ei...ebster+colorado&d=Ho0U50fiR4jQ&icp=1&.intl=us
NEXT????

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Oh sorry to hear this panhead pete. I am still waiting to hear from him what he has to say. In fact a bunch of us are! Ive confirmed its the same person. Have you contacted an attorney? Sounds to me like you have case. In fact he could be prosecuted. What he did was a felony in this country. It might be time to contact of your countries reprsentatives to contact the Colorado Attorney General. Im sure there are some international laws he broke as well!