• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Out of state sales tax collection by dealers?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
While I am an Indiana resident I have purchased several vehicles in Illinois. For years I paid the dealer NO sales tax in Illinois but then the state of Indiana would collect the Indiana tax when I applied for the license plate. That changed a few years ago. Now I pay the Illinois sales tax if I buy in Illinois, but I get a tax refund for the difference (Indiana has a slightly lower rate) after I plate the car in Indiana.

If you buy from out of state you should check into your state laws by calling your bureau of motor vehicles and asking them the proceedure.

grizzer

Ok, thanks for the data point. I had not run across that sales tax issue but then again have not bought vehicles from out of state in years. Wanted to ask somebody besides a dealer with something to sell. A few years ago a cousin picked up a Lexus from a Miami estate for a song & the MN DMV refused his documentation & forced him to pay the higher blue book value sales tax to title & license it here.
----------------
I was interested in that car as it was priced about what a new old stock '11 MKS sells for. They are similar in size, AWD, 360hp, etc. All these cars are a little weird as they stretch dead cow skin over the dash & call it "luxury".

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Grizzer,

That's a long way to go for a Toyota...:flowers:

I would do it for some thing made in the USA, but that's just me, I have been fighting a trade war for a couple of decades, but have been loosing ground too.....Not enough others like me I guess.

Besides Kabota doesn't make a tractor big enough for a mid western farm, unless it is for home yard work....:yum::yum::yum:

Regards, Kirk