• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Schlitz returns!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
MILWAUKEE - It's the beer that made Milwaukee famous. Now Schlitz is making the city nostalgic.
That beer with the old-time mystique is back on shelves in bottles of its original formula in the city where it was first brewed more than a century and a half ago.
Schlitz was the top-selling beer for much of the first half of the 20th century. But recipe changes and a series of snafus made the beer — in many a drinker's opinion — undrinkable, turning what was once the world's most popular brew into little more than a joke.

But after decades of dormancy, the beer is back.
Schlitz' owner, Pabst Brewing Co., is recreating the old formula, using notes and interviews with old brew masters to concoct the pilsner again. The maker of another nostalgic favorite, Pabst Blue Ribbon, it hopes baby boomers will reach for the drink of their youth, otherwise known as "The Beer That Made Milwaukee Famous." They also want to create a following among younger drinkers who want to know what grandma and grandpa drank.
"We believe that Schlitz is if not the, one of most iconic brands of the 20th century," said Kevin Kotecki, president of Pabst Brewing Co., which bought the brand that dates to 1849 from Stroh's in 1999. "And there's still a lot of people who have very positive, residual memories about their experience. For many of them it was the first beer they drank and we wanted to give it back to those consumers."
In Milwaukee, the comeback is creating a buzz. Stores are depleted of their stock within days, they're taking names for waiting lists and limiting customers to just a few six- or 12-packs each.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970479/

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
How many people here remember Schlitz and actually drank the brew of 30 years ago?

I do.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• 66393538_26b7bb4f8c.jpg
    66393538_26b7bb4f8c.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 89
  • sb17.jpg
    sb17.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 90

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I dont mind it. Not something I would go out of my way for though. I had some 6 or 7 months ago.

urednecku

Site Supporter
I had a great uncle that carried Schlitz around in the bed of his pickup. He said the warmer, the better. Yea, he was a drunk, but still.........:sick:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I do remember it. back then beer was good, whatever it tasted like.

Yea, I was a connoisseur back then too. As long as it was wet and contained alcohol. Temperature was optional. Sure if it was cold it was better but just because it was warm didn't make it undrinkable. My Lord, how I punished my young body which probably explains why it's in the shape it is now. Killed off a bunch of brain cells too. No comments, please. :bonk:

mak2

Yea, I was a connoisseur back then too. As long as it was wet and contained alcohol. Temperature was optional. Sure if it was cold it was better but just because it was warm didn't make it undrinkable. My Lord, how I punished my young body which probably explains why it's in the shape it is now. Killed off a bunch of brain cells too. No comments, please. :bonk:

OH yes, and we think of that as the good old days. musta been the 20 ish year old women. You remember, you could throw them over your shoulder and walk to the liquor store. ah, nevermind.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't think I ever tasted a bad beer when I was younger. Lets see I have drank a lot of Hamm's, Olympia, Falstaff, Schlitz, Old Milwaukee and other once popular labels. I drank what ever was offered, usually free, and never second guessed the brand as the price always seemed right. :1062: