• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Not Mine but for sale - 1982 Tucker Sno-Cat model 1742

tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
This machine isn't mine but I'm just trying to help find it a new home. Up for sale is a 1982 Tucker Sno-Cat model 1742. Cat has Cummins turbo with Allison transmission. This cat also has the wide track option with new belts. It is up on maintenance and ready to work. I don't know a lot about the machine but I am including the build sheet in one of the photos below. If anybody has any interest or detailed questions, I will pass on the owner's information. Asking price $28,500.

View attachment 130706

View attachment 130707

View attachment 130708

View attachment 130709

View attachment 130710

View attachment 130711

View attachment 130712

View attachment 130713

alryA

I believe this is located in the Hurley Wisconsin area. I've skied at Whitecap before.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow! I think the asking price is, to put it nicely, "aspirational".

Lol

BFT, perhaps you're a bit to much like an old contractor i knew when I was just starting in bussiness.

I was bidding a job as a subcontractor and he was as a general contractor. I had traveled to see the site conditions and ran into him at the site somewhat doing the same, even though this was his hometown. We talked a little about the project and then as we departed I told him that I would send him a quote. He thanked me, but assured me that he wouldn't be low bidder on this project, this was his backyard, he knew too much about the conditions here.

Seriously though, seeing some other prices as well this fall, old snowcats seem like they are appreciating faster than gold right now.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
1BG,

These are strange times we’re living in, that’s for sure. I know here in Park City, UT real estate prices are going nuts. Not a lot of inventory, and many buyers are escaping bigger cities. Many sales are at record prices. I’m also told the price of general aviation airplanes are in a bubble. Nice specimens are selling fast, and at much higher prices than they were last year. I suppose it’s logical that snowcat prices may be rising as well…

But that said, $28.5K for that machine is, in my opinion, ridiculous. Okay, why?

Machines used as groomers get used hard, and this has 4,600 hours. That’s a bunch! This Tucker has a Cummins turbo engine, but it’s not the 6BT that is so very well regarded, but rather a VT378, which is pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of reputation. Not great performance and parts are both scarce and expensive; so what’s to like about that? Wide track Tuckers are an oversize load unless you pull the tracks off. That limits the desirability among many buyers. Similarly, a two door cab is not nearly as sought after by what I’ll call recreational snowcat users as three door and four door Tuckers. So we’ve got a high hour, ex-groomer machine with a less desirable engine that has both wide tracks and a two door cab. It has new track belts, but the condition of the interior as about as rough as I’ve seen. Not done yet, though... Did you look at the spec sheet and see the axle ring and pinion ratios? This has 6.17:1 gears. Most Tuckers are 4.88:1 and have gasoline engines. That gets you a top speed of about 13 MPH or so, at 3,000 RPM. At the same 3000 RPM, 6.17:1 gears get you 10 MPH, but would you want to run that Diesel engine at such a high RPM?

Last spring there was a 1980’s Tucker for sale on Craigslist in Colorado. It had groomer history as well, and it was rough. WBJ1 told me about it, and from memory I THINK the asking price was $6,500. That’s downright cheap for a Tucker, and it was maybe a three hour drive to check it out. So not a lot “invested” if it didn’t pan out. But I’ve learned, and I preach this, the cheapest Tucker is rarely the best value. That would have taken a huge investment of time and money to make it nice. It wasn’t worth it to me….

A quick craigslist search found this unit in Canada: https://boulder.craigslist.org/snw/d/blaine-tucker-200-snow-cat/7195291963.html

The current exchange rate is such that $40K Canadian equals $30.3K in US dollars. Eleven years newer, the better Cummins engine, better condition, four door machine and a blade. Also not an oversize load.

My perception is these snowcat forums have a number of regular posters, but there are also a significant number of “lurkers”. They may lurk on a frequent basis, or maybe they’re thinking of buying a snowcat and are gathering information so they're better informed. When I comment on a machine for sale, my comments are as much for them as anything else. They may not know the relative plusses and minuses of different machines or configurations and I hate to see people taken advantage of. I hope my comments provide some informational value.

I suppose instead of “aspirational”, I could have said “wishful”. But either way, I’ll be blown away if it sells for anything close to the asking price - assuming the buyer is at least somewhat knowledgeable.

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
BFT,

My old contractor friend was doing the same thing of course, trying to give me some insight. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I ended up with a more suitable, to me, Tucker because of the information shared by yourself and others here on ff. And certainly more fun in owning and updating it as a result, as well. Thanks to all for that.

Yes everyone has their preferences as to what they'd like in a machine, but considering price, looks like a big difference between the two to me too, for the reasons you outlined.

And yes, crazy times on many fronts and could get more so imo. Real estate here in the Boise Valley is much the same circumstance. From the construction stand point, I figure we'll just take it as long as it lasts, because nothing lasts forever.

Hope to see all of our machines out on the snow somewhere this winter.