• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 222, 1957 Kitten

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Well it took me 6 months, one arm, one leg, a lot of encouragement and help from several friends (thank you), and a pissed off wife (not really), but I am now the proud owner of a 1957 Tucker square door 222 Kitten, serial number 157495.

It is the first snowcat I have purchased out of 5-1/2 (yes I have 1/2 a snowcat in my collection) that actually ran (after about an hour of persuasion) when I purchased it. I will need to do a few restoration items and some basic maintenance, but I will be able to use it this winter. I will be asking for some help here since I know very little about this machine.

Before anyone asks, the oil bath air cleaner, the extra lights over the windshield, the rear rack, and the stickers are all going.

The "Tommy T" was in honor of the owner prior to the owner I purchased it from, he passed away several years ago and his widow sold the kitten to the individual who I purchased it from. This owner was a part owner in the Kelly Canyon ski area near Idaho Falls Idaho.

DSCN4412.jpg

DSCN4369.jpg

DSCN4373.jpg

DSCN4383.jpg

DSCN4386.jpg

DSCN4388.jpg

DSCN4392.jpg

DSCN4396.jpg

DSCN4401.jpg

DSCN4402.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
fabulous addition to your very fine litter of cats, hope you enjoy it for years to come, kinda sorry to see it leave Kelly Canyon Ski area,

if it did find a new home, yours is prefect!

nice kitten and good for you...

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
YES! tThats awesome - what a great looking cat! I hope to see it really soon!

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Personally, I don't think the rear rack is that bad. Proportional, well built and able to carry extra fuel and some gear.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gut that oil bath and you have a sleeper fresh air intake for extra HP.

Kitten looks real nice as she sits. Ill trade you for a project one you can put the torch to!

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You need to deep six the grill too. Nice Kitten.

Attachments

• IMG_5590.JPG
    IMG_5590.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 235

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
To address a few of the comments:

Air cleaner: was dry, so basically it was there for the look someone wanted. It basically performed no air cleaner function. I am taking this back to original if I can, and actually put an air filter on it. Possibly it did not have an air filter originally, my Frandee only had a screen over the carb inlet to keep chunks out. I guess the thought was that it was run in the winter where no to little dust/dirt was present. I will put one on this, need to protect that powerhouse.

Rear rack: I agree it is a good rack and has some utility, but if I decide to have one on it I will design my own and build it. One nice thing about the current rack is that it is a bolt-on, I can always reinstall it.

Grill: I agree 100%, this needs to be cut off and replaced. What I could use is more up close photos of the grill if anyone has any. Dimensions would help also. Or the ultimate, if you have an extra one sell it to me. Or, let me borrow one for a short time so I can replicate it.

The ultimate goal with this Kitten is to take it as close back to original as I reasonably can just like I did with my Frandee. I like it when someone gets in the cat and it is a step back in time to 1957. Don't get me wrong, those resto-mods are great, and some are just incredible works of art, but this one is going back (at least close) to what it was in 1957.

I really appreciate the comments, photos, and help, keep it coming.

Someday when you are at one of the jamborees and if I am there with it come on up and take it for a drive.

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
Grill: I agree 100%, this needs to be cut off and replaced. What I could use is more up close photos of the grill if anyone has any. Dimensions would help also. Or the ultimate, if you have an extra one sell it to me. Or, let me borrow one for a short time so I can replicate it.

Does yours have the original 3/4” bars behind that mesh? I don’t think any of them had removable grills - mines all connected to the chassis.

Attachments

• 0C71400A-9D33-4841-B041-EA67278ADBCD.jpg
    0C71400A-9D33-4841-B041-EA67278ADBCD.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 1C4D98EC-E9A1-4821-A19D-2993CF1B872E.jpg
    1C4D98EC-E9A1-4821-A19D-2993CF1B872E.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 191

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
As you can see in the second picture - the are 3/4” C channel - not square bar

If anyone knows where to get this material - please let me know - I’ve got a couple that aren’t salvageable

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
That's a great looking kitten and glad it's in good hands. Hope to see it out and about this winter. :thumbup:

You will see and drive it if you make it to the same jamborees I go to. I am currently looking into getting a larger trailer so I can haul the Frandee and the Kitten. Also looking at seeing if I can fit it in the bed of the truck. I would have to make a platform since it won't fit between the wheel wells, but then it sits up pretty high. A new trailer is the prefered path because I have some other ideas for the future.

PradoTDI

If anyone knows where to get this material - please let me know - I’ve got a couple that aren’t salvageable

Those don't look like normal C channel to me, more likely they are formed sheet metal (maybe 14ga?). It shouldn't be too hard to make a batch on a standard sheet metal brake as long as the machine is rated for that thickness.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter

Looks like one could use 3/4" square tube, if you wanted the C still you could cut one side of the tube away.

Thanks a million for the photos.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Does yours have the original 3/4” bars behind that mesh? I don’t think any of them had removable grills - mines all connected to the chassis.

R Rose your the man, I looked behind the mesh and the grill is there, it is missing 4 bars but most of it is there. I will see what I can do to get the four I need fabricated plus a couple for you. Give me some time, but I might be able to scrounge something up, and if not make some out of tube, or use Prado TDI's idea and make them on a brake.

Thanks for making my day.

One other thing, I am going to have to fabricate a latch, mine is completely gone, both sides (grill side and hood side). If you could take a few pictures of both sides of the latch that would be great. Thanks again.

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
One other thing, I am going to have to fabricate a latch, mine is completely gone, both sides (grill side and hood side). If you could take a few pictures of both sides of the latch that would be great. Thanks again.

Here you go

Attachments

• D4BF5D42-7D7B-4FD7-9604-E07814CD7556.jpg
    D4BF5D42-7D7B-4FD7-9604-E07814CD7556.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 192
  • AA32E913-9FA3-44C7-A566-DD0B3445E293.jpg
    AA32E913-9FA3-44C7-A566-DD0B3445E293.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 92D3D58E-E82E-45E1-BDA4-58D45177DE3A.jpg
    92D3D58E-E82E-45E1-BDA4-58D45177DE3A.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 193
  • F6F184DA-AAFA-4A42-A990-8755D9F03153.jpg
    F6F184DA-AAFA-4A42-A990-8755D9F03153.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 190

GYPSY

My 1959 Kitten has a 9 "bar" grille made of formed 5/64" channels measuring 3/4 wide with 3/4 legs. They are welded to a removable frame. The hood latches are "suitcase" style with one on each side mounted behind the headlight bracket.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
I was thinking it would be good to have a few extra track parts for the 222. By any chance does anyone have any of the following items they would be interested in selling. I don't need new, just usable good used stuff. I will try posting here first, if no luck I will create a thread in the for sale/want to buy section. Thanks.

- Maybe around four 3/4" rollers
- One or two track grousers
- Maybe around four track links

IMG_20201122_140341542.jpg
IMG_20201122_140425545.jpg
IMG_20201122_140437677.jpg
IMG_20201122_140441933.jpg
IMG_20201122_140453097.jpg

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
More help needed from the Tucker experts.

So my 222 did not have a Tucker sticker anywhere on it. I have seen pictures where most have stickers on the front cowlings and one with what looks like the die cast emblem on the door, one other with what appears to be a painted emblem on the door. So my question is, what is the most correct for a 1957 "square door", a sticker on the cowling, a die cast on the cowling, a die cast on the door, or does it matter? I believe the factory sells both and wanted to get a couple on the unit before I take it to Oregon in January.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yours would have had a sticker logo on the hood side panels that would be factory original correct, stickers/logo from the factory would be correct, no die cast on a '57

Last edited:

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Ordered tune up parts today for the Ford Anglia 100e, with it's whopping 10 hp. Currently it runs, but very poorly. Pumped 10 gallons of old gas out and put in some fresh non ethanol 91 octane then fiddled with the carburetor a bit. Runs a little better but still needs plugs, wires, points, cap, rotor, coil, condenser, carb kit, thermostat, and a coolant fitting. Found a place in Colorado (Kip Motor Company) that sells engine parts, looks like they have everything I need, at least the order for these items was placed, we will see if they come through. Found the fan belt (Gates 8341) on ebay and the wiper blade (ANSO 2010) on amazon. Still need to round up some radiator hoses.

Here is a picture of the coolant fitting I want to replace. This one is a home made job, works, but I would like it to be the correct part.

DSCN4393.JPG
DSCN4395.JPG

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Correction: That Kip Motor Company where I ordered the Ford Anglia parts is not in Colorado (sorry it was way late last night when I wrote that note), it is in Dallas Texas.