• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Radio Scanners

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you educate me on them?

I'm thinking of getting a scanner. Most likely a hand-held.

I'd like to have one that scans itself for signals so I don't need to know the frequencies. I understand the new ones can pick up traffic, weather...

Trakternut

Scanners with the search feature have been around for 20 years. You set parameters for the search.
Say you know that a given radio system uses a frequency beginning with 150, you can start there and it'll just scan upward from there until it hits a signal and you can lock it in, assign a channel and vwah-lah! You're in!

Depending on what you want to buy, you can get by pretty reasonably. Oh, the electronics stores might even have a sheet with all the important local frequencies, such as fire, police, high way patrol and so forth.

Trakternut

Yup! Radio Shack has a nice selection. I have one that is nearly 20 years old, but the battery carrier that slips into the case went kaput!
I'm going to plug an adapter into the ciggy lighter in my pickup, install an external speaker, plug all this into the scanner and away I go!
You might find yourself disappointed with police transmissions. Many localities "scramblel" transmissions, so all you hear is squeals and burps along with gulping sounds.

If you like Railroading, you can listen in on train activity too.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Find out if any of the organizations in the area you want to listen on use Trunking (most do), and make sure you get a radio that has that capability.

Radio communications

In two-way radio communications, trunking refers to the ability of transmissions to be served by free channels whose availability is determined by algorithmic protocols. In conventional (i.e., not trunked) radio, users of a single service share a one or more exclusive radio channels and must wait their turn to use them. This can be likened to the operation of a group of cashiers in a grocery store, where each cashier serves their own line of customers. The cashier represent each radio channel, and each customer represents a radio user transmitting on their radio. When the grocery store gets busy, shoppers get backed up and congested as some cashiers have long lines and other cashiers sit idle.
Trunked radio systems (TRS) pool all of the cashiers (channels) into one group and use a store manager (site controller) that assigns incoming shoppers to free cashiers as determined by the store's policies (TRS protocols).
It should be noted that in a TRS, individual transmissions in any conversation may take place on several different channels, much as if a family of shoppers checked out all at once, they may be assigned different cashiers by the traffic manager. Similarly, if a single shopper checks out more than once, they may be assigned a different cashier each time.
Trunked radio systems provide greater efficiency at the cost of greater management overhead. The store manager's orders must be conveyed to all the shoppers. This is done by assigning one or more radio channels as the "control channel". The control channel transmits data from the site controller that run the TRS, and is continuously monitored by all of the field radios in the system so that they know how to follow the various conversations between members of their talkgroups (families) and other talkgroups as they hop from radio channel to radio channel.
TRS's have grown massively in their complexity since their introduction, and now include multi-site systems that can cover entire states or groups of states. This is similar to the idea of a chain of grocery stores. The shopper generally goes to the nearest grocery store, but if there are complications or congestion, the shopper may opt to go to a neighboring store. Each store in the chain can talk to each other and pass messages between shoppers at different stores if necessary, and they provide backup to each other: if a store has to be closed for repair, then other stores pick up the customers.
TRS's have greater risks to overcome than conventional radio systems in that a loss of the store manager (site controller) would cause the system's traffic to no longer be managed. In this case, most of the time the TRS automatically reverts to conventional operation. In spite of these risks, TRS's usually maintain reasonable uptime.
TRS's are more difficult to monitor via radio scanner than conventional systems. However, larger manufacturers of radio scanners have introduced models that, with a little extra programming, are able to follow TRS's quite efficiently.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Find out if any of the organizations in the area you want to listen on use Trunking (most do), and make sure you get a radio that has that capability.

If you want to listen to a system that uses trunking you have to know which type. The various mfgs use different formats that aren't compatible. Most trunking systems are Motorola and most of those systems can be picked up by the correct scanner. You will need a little information about the system itself but that is usually available. The General electric trunking systems can be monitored but its not easy and there is a high pitched tone mixed in with the audio. There is also a Macom/Erikson system but I don't know if there is a scanner for that one. Some newer law enforcement trunk systems are digital and encrypted. No scanner there because of the encryption.