• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow-Trac ST4 in British Columbia(?)

Arlow

Thanks, Bob,
The roof rack is aluminium. It is 1" square tubing with 1/8" wall and the inside perimeter where the cedar sits is 1" x 1/8" angle.

Arlow

Thanks Tommo,
Your first question is same as Bob's see above. As for the price, I don't have aluminium welding facilities so I bought the material and cut it myself and had it welded together. It's very light, 35 - 40 lbs., so it would probably work good on your Land Rover. The approximate cost for materials and to have someone weld it up was around $600 CDN. I'll post more pictures when it's installed.

Arlow

As the snow finally started falling outside, I thought it was time I posted some pictures of what I've been up to this summer...

Attachments

• roof rack top web.jpg
    roof rack top web.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 770
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 773
  • roof rack web.jpg
    roof rack web.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 769

Arlow

new box for one of the two batteries.. other battery is inside.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 764

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do us a favor and put that thing in the snow and give us some more pictures. I can feel the pride of ownership clear down here.

Arlow

mtncrawler said:
Do us a favor and put that thing in the snow and give us some more pictures. I can feel the pride of ownership clear down here.

Ok, mtncrawler, since I found out that you can actually take them out in the snow, I tried it! It's more fun than just working on them!:wave:

Attachments

• Snow Trac 2006 small.jpg
    Snow Trac 2006 small.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 729
  • Snow Trac 2006small.jpg
    Snow Trac 2006small.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 730
  • Snow Trac 2006 005small.jpg
    Snow Trac 2006 005small.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 715

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Arlow ,
That ST4 is absolutely incredible . I can only hope that my Kristi will turn out half as nice .
Had you ran it much before you restored it ?
So whats left to do ? It is beautiful . Enjoy it !!!

Arlow…this unit is incredible! The more that I see of these ST4s, the more that I want one (don't tell Al)! I was looking for a machine to use as a work horse but, after viewing pictures of your talent, I think I need a toy like this! Excellent…excellent job!

Arlow

BigAl said:
Arlow ,
That ST4 is absolutely incredible . I can only hope that my Kristi will turn out half as nice .
Had you ran it much before you restored it ?
So whats left to do ? It is beautiful . Enjoy it !!!

Thanks Al... yeah, we ran it one winter, didn't take it out much because I wasn't sure of the condition of the running gear. I found in deep snow it didn't have enough power in 3rd and 4th gear, so that's why I went with the bigger motor. What's left to do?... stereo, install overhead console, hook up hot tub and wetbar :D

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Arlow said:
What's left to do?... stereo, install overhead console, hook up hot tub and wetbar :D

OH YEA !!!! We Bad :coolshade :coolshade

Hey Arlow !!! I'll follow your wake anytime . You think like me !

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Arlow how fast are you able to go now with everything all said and done? Any snowcat top speed world record attempts yet?

mtmogs

Arlow said:
I found in deep snow it didn't have enough power in 3rd and 4th gear, so that's why I went with the bigger motor. :D

Arlow, FANTASTIC job restoring and upgrading your machine :applause: . I'm curious too about the performance with the new engine. I don't need a higher top speed. Like you, I'd just like to use 3rd and 4th gear more when breaking trail in deep snow.

Good Luck - Paul

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Mntnmgs,
I too need the use of 4th more than anything. When I head up to Elko and visit with the Yellow Snow Club the long road up into Lamoyo Canyon sees me at 4th gear at 13 MPH. Usually 12 MPH since 13 is starting to get close to my red line. Its about an hour long trip. The Snow master has a small 11 tooth sprocket off the transaxle and an 42 tooth sprocket off the front. Yours has 12 in back and 36 up front. When I am up in the mountains I need more HP and torque. I seem to run going up hill in 2nd and 3rd at about a 6% grade. 4th just bogs out. (40 hp is just not enough at 10,000 and 11,000 feet) and even then its not quit that much HP at that alltitude. I just need a higher top speed in every condition.

mtmogs

Snowcat Operations said:
Mntnmgs,
40 hp is just not enough at 10,000 and 11,000 feet
. . . especially since 10,000' altitude could potentially reduce that 40 hp down to ~ 28hp.

At 11,000 feet you need more of everything...including red blood cells. So, are you going to swap out your sprockets to give higher top speed, or just plan on getting more torque out of every gear?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
My goal is a higher top speed in every gear. First is very low anyway and even in a Snow Trac I dont see any condition I have been in that a more powerful and torquey engine wouldnt handle (except the track width) But anyway the taller gears will be so much more useful for me. I am not towing a sled for grooming and dont need those low of gears.

AKdadio

The pictures in this thread are worth drooling over again. Arlow, or anyone... I am curious if the painted grousers and guides held up? How long? Would you do that again? Thanks!

peter keg

where inBC are you from I have a short cab 78 @ live in northern Alberta.No pics right now.Need new camera.Mine needs a new transaxle I think(only drves one track & can' steer it)
Cheers
Peter

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
where inBC are you from I have a short cab 78 @ live in northern Alberta.No pics right now.Need new camera.Mine needs a new transaxle I think(only drves one track & can' steer it)
Cheers
Peter
sounds like you have a varriator problem maby one of the vertical shafts gomming up from the transaxle they were prone to breaking when trying to turn from a stand still.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Don
I was thinking it could be in the variator.Haven't had any time to look at it yet
if that is the shaft is broke i might could arrange for one i have a parts rig its under a bit of snow right now i have to get some other parts for the members wich is going to require some digging kindof lacking ambition at -20 but i need to finnish it up before it warms up because that means another storm the shaft would have to wate till summer because of how thwe snow has packed in to the engine like cement.

peter keg

Hey Don,
I can turn both clutches and the tracks want to turn.That is all I managed to check tonight as it is very dark here by 5 PM.I have to clean my shop this weekend and get it in there.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Don,
I can turn both clutches and the tracks want to turn.That is all I managed to check tonight as it is very dark here by 5 PM.I have to clean my shop this weekend and get it in there.
if both tracks turn than you have a different problem more than likely a belt adjustment some one adjusted the op adjuster abd not he bottom one.

dlowe

This is Arlow's Snow Trac in BC - he is trying to get back on this forum, as the Snow Trac you see in the photos is now for sale