• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Weak 1: Monday Night Football Ratings Crash by over 20% Amid Social Justice Protests

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Weak 1: Monday Night Football Ratings Crash by over 20% Amid Social Justice Protests
by DYLAN GWINN15 Sep 2020

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...rash-by-over-20-amid-social-justice-protests/

The ratings for ESPN’s Monday Night Football are in, and they are not going to make the folks in Bristol very happy at all.

Against the backdrop of large-scale social justice demonstrations that included Black Lives Matter t-shirts, a giant social justice banner, an entire team standing for the “black national anthem,” and at least 20 players kneeling in protest during the actual national anthem, the Steelers-Giants MNF contest saw a 27% drop from last year.

Ryan Glasspiegel
@sportsrapport
MNF
-Steelers-Giants - 10.8M
-Titans-Broncos - 7.7M
-Texans-Saints - 13.1M
-Broncos-Raiders - 10.6M
3:17 PM · Sep 15, 2020

The second game of the Monday Night Football double-header, saw another notable drop of 2.5 million viewers from last year’s mark.

These numbers are bad, needless to say. However, the full context of how bad they are can’t be appreciated until you factor in two notable variables that have been included in this year’s rating formula which should be helping the NFL, but aren’t.

First, as Outkick reports, roughly 1.2 million fans aren’t attending the games live. Which, in theory, should add to the television numbers since it would be assumed that those fans would be watching at home. Second, speaking of the home, out-of-home viewers are now accounted for in the ratings process for the first time.

So, the NFL should see its numbers bolstered by those factors. Instead, we’re seeing that maybe those factors are just making the difference between a 27 percent decline in the ratings and a 31 percent decline, or whatever.

Either way, the NFL and their broadcast partners have an enormous problem on their hands.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
And when will they wise up enough to figure it out??
When they count the revenues.
TV Spots are costed on the number of viewers exposed to the advertisements. If your product , a sporting game for view, doesn't add up good numbers, revenues decline.
And those expensive stadiums built with taxpayer funds,,, no gate receipts. How long will that be allowed to continue?

Get this straight NFL. Americans want to watch sports to see a game, not be lectured on patriotism on moral values. It's called entertainment.

If we want a moral lesson, we don't go to a stadium and buy beer, chips and dogs. We go to church.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Get this straight NFL. Americans want to watch sports to see a game, not be lectured on patriotism on moral values. It's called entertainment.

If we want a moral lesson, we don't go to a stadium and buy beer, chips and dogs. We go to church.

I agree.

Also, if someone is waiting for me to stand for the "black national anthem" they'll be waiting a long, long time.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with all that was said above. But .... now that the purse strings are being impacted in a major way (and I hope they are) owners and coaches will change their tune and force employees / players to act in a way that does not impact the bottom line ...or they will start deducting lost revenues from the players salaries. Once it hits in the pocket book things change.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
by DYLAN GWINN15 Sep 2020

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...rash-by-over-20-amid-social-justice-protests/

The ratings for ESPN’s Monday Night Football are in, and they are not going to make the folks in Bristol very happy at all.

Against the backdrop of large-scale social justice demonstrations that included Black Lives Matter t-shirts, a giant social justice banner, an entire team standing for the “black national anthem,” and at least 20 players kneeling in protest during the actual national anthem, the Steelers-Giants MNF contest saw a 27% drop from last year.

The second game of the Monday Night Football double-header, saw another notable drop of 2.5 million viewers from last year’s mark.

These numbers are bad, needless to say. However, the full context of how bad they are can’t be appreciated until you factor in two notable variables that have been included in this year’s rating formula which should be helping the NFL, but aren’t.

First, as Outkick reports, roughly 1.2 million fans aren’t attending the games live. Which, in theory, should add to the television numbers since it would be assumed that those fans would be watching at home. Second, speaking of the home, out-of-home viewers are now accounted for in the ratings process for the first time.

So, the NFL should see its numbers bolstered by those factors. Instead, we’re seeing that maybe those factors are just making the difference between a 27 percent decline in the ratings and a 31 percent decline, or whatever.

Either way, the NFL and their broadcast partners have an enormous problem on their hands.

Why would you assume that the no shows are rushing home to tune in on TV?

I'm going with 31% decline.

People aren't watching. I'm one of those people, And the players, Goodell, and the owners are clueless. JJ Watts just doesn't understand. His comment was something like "We didn't call it a protest. We called it a show of unity and everything, Why is everybody picking on us?"

Stand up. Shut up. Play ball.

Last edited:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And when will they wise up enough to figure it out??

When it's time to renegotiate their TV contract and salaries and they find that vast pool of money no longer exists. And Nike sales plummet to nothing.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I watched Brees vs Brady on Sunday because I was curious. Brady was underwhelming. New Orleans was entertaining as always.

Based on Brady's performance I think I can skip the rest of the season.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I watched Brees vs Brady on Sunday because I was curious. Brady was underwhelming. New Orleans was entertaining as always.

Based on Brady's performance I think I can skip the rest of the season.

Brady is a cheater. Worse, he cheats when he can win without cheating. I don't watch cheats. I, too, will skip this season.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with all that was said above. But .... now that the purse strings are being impacted in a major way (and I hope they are) owners and coaches will change their tune and force employees / players to act in a way that does not impact the bottom line ...or they will start deducting lost revenues from the players salaries. Once it hits in the pocket book things change.

Professional sports exist for one reason and one reason alone. To provide entertainment for fans. Fans who resent being asked to pay for tickets, beer and snacks along with whatever products are being promoted in the commercials, just to be called racist